Alaska in Mid-September

Casey2

I am considering doing a roundtrip from Vancouver on the Radiance of the Seas on Sept. 17. I believe this is the last sailing for the season. Is it too cold or too late in the season for wildlife and whale watching? Any adivice would be appreciated.

Last tear we were on the Pacific Princess II in the early part of Sept and besides one rainy day in Sitka we had great weather. The fall leaves were just turning all sorts of colors and was just beautiful. Like I always say you have to layer your clothes, turtlenecks, then a jacket. Now if you are seeing a glacier of course it is very cold but the rest of the time it was just comfortable. As for animals we did see whales, eagles, but of course the whales was just a small section of th his fin; we saw that from the ship. I may suggest that just keep on reading this board on Alaska and all sorts of info will come up.

Marilyn

If you go back thru the threads or read posts from Alaskans, you will see that the most predictable part of mid Sept and later weather is that it is not predictable. The weather will be cooler, more rain likely. In the first week of Sept we had more rain and more sun than we did in early June when all we had was grey skies. Layer and expect a little of everything. And enjoy the trip regardless.

Left last year Sept 15, I enjoyed it. A little bit of everything. Only cold at the galcier. Swam in the outdoor pool one day in Juneau.......... but then again I am a Canadian! (one that hates the winter, I might add).

We are booked again for Sept 16 /05;) Go expecting the worst, and anything that you get, that's good, is a banner day!

September - that late is simply unpredictable .. weather can vary so much.. A couple of bonuses: the shops in towns are having their end of season sales if you have any shoppers in the group AND last year in September several sailings saw the Northern Lights! That also is completely unpredictable..and can really vary.. We have seen them this early winter in high mountains of NC on very clear nights and that is very very rare!

We did our first trip to Alaska on the Norweigan Wind five years ago in September and we experienced a lot of rain. Go prepared!!! Layer, layer, layer. It rained nearly every day, but nothing stopped us from having the most fantastic cruise! This August we are doing our 4 cruise. If you like shopping, there are lots of deals being on the last cruise into the ports. Enjoy yourself, you're going to have a terrific time.

There is a big difference between early and late Sept in Alaska, unpredictability is the key and be prepared for it all. :) I have done these sailings but ALWAYS as the second trip of the year at big bargains. This isn't the case any longer. The biggest negative in my opinion is poor daylight- it is dusk at 7pm. Northern Lights are seen seen and not just limited to last year. I have seen them many times over the years from end of August- end of Sept. The KEY is being in a dark area of which cruise ships have few. You need to invest several hours and be up in the middle of the night- again VERY few passengers do this. It is a great option to get internet predictions for activity or link up with your ship naturalist. Whale watching is good- you do need a tour however with Juneau or in Icy Strait. Bear watching is usually over out of Ketchikan.

We sailed on the NCL Spirit this past Sept 25 - Oct. 2 from Vancouver to Juneau and Ketchikan and the weather was GREAT! One day of rain (light mist) in Juneau and that was it. A little breezy, but daytime temps were 55-60+. Wouldn't hesitate going again at that time of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked in early-mid September 2005 too! It is our first cruise and I have been checking the board too for info on Alaska. The one response about dusk coming around 7pm was nice to know, and learning that we may be able to see the Northern Lights is great.

I also noticed dplused is the first person I have seen on our sailing....Summit September 9th 2005, glad to hear we are not the only people booked on that sailing

lorcam :)

Yep, yep, yep...take layers and you will be fine. Regarding the Northern Lights: don't forget to look up. You'd be surprised how many people have no idea when they are going on because they simply don't go outside or look up. They don't announce themselves, they are silent. They are sometimes subtle and sometimes visually scream outloud, however, if you are not looking up, you may still miss them. Also, the response regarding lights is very true. A full moon, city lights, or lights from your home or ship can make them extremely difficult or impossible to see. Obviously, there is no need looking if the sky is overcast, either. Enjoy your cruise!

Glacial Blue, Anchorage:rolleyes:

Archived