Oahu Snorkel Tour/Private Charter

Aloha_Jackie

Other than Hanauma Bay, what would be a good place to snorkel on Oahu? We will be there on 12/27 from 8am to 11 pm. Hanauma will be open but I don’t really see any boats going there. There is one that goes, but it looks like it stops on 12/15. Does anybody know if there are private charters or boats that go out there? One tour I read about had something like 250 pax capacity – I’m not really interested in a cattle call or a zodiak. I suppose we can just take a taxi to Hanauma and go in that way. Just curious if anyone knows about private boats for charter or an equally cool area to explore (local/native favorite secret spot?). Suggestions/thoughts?:confused:

I think the next best spot to snorkel on Oahu is Shark's Cove (Pupukea) on the North Shore but given the time of year, not recommended - strong surge and big waves. Your best bet might be the taxi to Hanauma Bay Compared to the other islands, Oahu doesn't have the best snorkeling ...

Other places such as Electric Beach (near Kahe Point) and other places along the south coast may be options as well but I don't think that the snorkeling is good enough to warrant the drive out from town.

Spleen

Spleen

Thanks for the prompt reply Spleen - I really appreciate it - and I knew that you would be the one to tell me! All-knowing, wise and powerful Spleen! You're a wizard! I think that Mister Lucky and I will be one of thousands that day at Hanauma! We will take the taxi like you mentioned. I cant wait! Thanks again!

I'd guess about an hour driving through Waikiki. It would take us about 1/2 hour driving there from the eastern end of Waikiki to Hanauma Bay. Traffic can also play a big part in the time. If one proceeded directly to H1 from the pier and then east, it might be a bit faster????? Getting on/off H1 and heading in the right direction can be an adventure all by itself.

broke out the Hertz Gold and booked a car - decided for flexibility rather than forced into cab rides from the Cruise terminal at Aloha Tower - we are there until 11 p.m. so it should be a great day for a ride to Hanauma and then around to the North Shore to check out some killer waves and comeback thru Haleiwa and some other faves - we are having some big surf of our own - nothing in comparison - but if we have it then those guys really have it - heard the "Eddie would go - Aikau" Quiksilver surf contest is still on and would be interested in seeing some folks involved in that activity - I guess this will be more relaxing than being forced into a cab

I think maybe 45 minutes with traffic or up to an hour with the holidays is a good estimate - no one is ever in a rush over there - its hard to be inconspicuous when no one else is driving fast

Jackie - just remember that when the waves are up, you run the risk of running into traffic along the North Shore (since everybody will go out to watch the waves) as well as possible road closures if the waves start washing over the road itself. Might be a problem if you're trying to catch your cruise ship.

Spleen

good point Spleen - I didnt quite think about the traffic - but we did hear about some road closures already

what is the name of the road that goes thru those Koolau mountains? In the middle - so you dont go around the bottom way - like Hawaii Kai then Waimanalo and that

Is that a road that tourists can use? I am cionfused with the Saddle road I think - but now I cant remember

We are thinking of getting the car and going to Hanauma then doing our own little circle island tour - but not as elaborate as the last real one we took

Jackie - I was referring to stealing or hijacking your question to ask my own.

I like your idea of hiring a car and doing your own island tour. I guess that once you are clear of the urban area of Honolulu the roads are much easier to get round. For someone who has never visited the island is it quite easy to find your way about?

PS I will remember to drive on the wrong side of the road

Jackie - Saddle Road is on the Big Island, not Oahu. :) There are 3 highways that go through the Koolaus - the Pali Highway, the Likelike Highway, and the H3. They all meet up more or less at the same place on the Windward side. The town side freeway entrances are a little more separated - the Pali and the Likelike are somewhat close to each other while H3 starts up around Pearl Harbor.

Spleen

mahalo Spleen - I knew Saddle road was Big Island - but is there a problem with non-locals driving the roads thru the Koolaus? Its legal for tourists to drive thru there in a rental car? Thanks. We havent driven a lot of Oahu on our own. We have done a circle island ot two, just not in a Hertzmobile...:)

broke out the Hertz Gold and booked a car - decided for flexibility rather than forced into cab rides from the Cruise terminal at Aloha Tower - we are there until 11 p.m. so it should be a great day for a ride to Hanauma and then around to the North Shore to check out some killer waves and comeback thru Haleiwa and some other faves - we are having some big surf of our own - nothing in comparison - but if we have it then those guys really have it - heard the "Eddie would go - Aikau" Quiksilver surf contest is still on and would be interested in seeing some folks involved in that activity - I guess this will be more relaxing than being forced into a cab

Renting is the best way. Much cheaper too. I used to dive in Hanauma back when it was not a protected reserve. That's when you could poke fish and bring home to eat. Now, it's only look and enjoy. Big changes all these years. Glad to hear you know about Eddie Aikau. Yes there is a tournament going on now. Waves were 50 feet yesterday. First time in years the tournament has had big waves, as this is a big wave event. My kids are all fans of Eddie and I like to tell them how I met him. Back in the late 60's when I was attending UH I used to work for a tour company that did a circle island tour. We always stopped at the same time point to have lunch, which was waiting for us. I don't remember the name of the beach but Eddie was working there (I know he also worked at Waimea in later years) and I would always make sure he had free lunch from me even though it was catered for my group of tourists. He was a nice a person you would ever want to meet. My kids cried the day he was lost. We had a hard time finding any Eddie Aikau merchandise. Macy's had some shirts but were sold out on the sizes we wanted. Quicksilver is the company who sells Eddie Aikau products. What we really wanted was bumper stickers saying "Eddie Would Go" but everywhere they were out also. In Lahaina I walked in to a Quicksilver store and went up to a young salesman and I said, "you better not tell me you're out of 'Eddie Would Go' stickers!" He saw I was joking, but serious and he said, sorry no more. But he looked in a drawer and found *one* sticker which he gave me for free. He also gave me a large poster of the 2004 tournament. He also gave me a sheet telling the story of Eddie's heroic feat back in '78.

Eddie

Your story brings me to tears. I hope that one day everyone will know about Eddies heroism and wonder why no one has made a movie out of this. I think maybe I need to write to the Weinstein brothers...We had a hard time finding bumper stickers etc - finally got about four of them at a surf shop in Poipu - never been anywhere and seen the shirts in stock and the poster is a collectors item, I'm sure!

Ready to set sail!

mahalo Spleen - I knew Saddle road was Big Island - but is there a problem with non-locals driving the roads thru the Koolaus? Its legal for tourists to drive thru there in a rental car? Thanks. We havent driven a lot of Oahu on our own. We have done a circle island ot two, just not in a Hertzmobile...:)

Don't worry, it's just a highway (like any highway on the islands). It's completely fine to drive in a rental (again, not at all like Saddle Road). I highly encourage you to take either the Pali (stop at the Pali Lookout and enjoy the views and the wind!) or doing the H3 (beautiful drive everywhere you look).

BTW, I agree that Eddie's story is very inspirational ... I'm very glad that his memory lives on through the tournament. It was a sad day for Hawaii when he was lost ...

Spleen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I think the next best spot to snorkel on Oahu is Shark's Cove (Pupukea) on the North Shore but given the time of year, not recommended - strong surge and big waves. Your best bet might be the taxi to Hanauma Bay Compared to the other islands, Oahu doesn't have the best snorkeling ...

Other places such as Electric Beach (near Kahe Point) and other places along the south coast may be options as well but I don't think that the snorkeling is good enough to warrant the drive out from town.

Spleen

Spleen

Aloha Spleen - you mentioned Electric Beach and I was wondering if you could give me a bit more info on that one/or any others. I plan to check out Sharks Cove, Makaha (turtle cleaning station?) and some of the lagoons at Ko'olina, as well as a visit or two to Hanauma. We fly in again on Tuesday. Got any more tips for me? Thanks in advance!

p.s. When they say things like, the local sharks are tame, how tame is that? If they havent had breakfast....

We opted against Hanauma this year as it gets too crowded too early and they now charge $10pp to get in. We ran into several people who were looking for other beaches to go to because the lot was full by 9:00 so if you go, go early. We went instead to the Makai Research Pier - not crowded and pretty good snorkeling. My husband even saw a little squid. Its just about 5 miles up the coast from Hanauma. But if you have never been to Hanauma try to go - it really is a beautiful spot.

Electric Beach is on the way to Makaha from Waikiki. Look for the Hawaiian Electric power plant on the right side of the road after you pass the Ko Olina resort and the beach across the road is Electric Beach. I did my scuba certification dives off this beach ... :) The UH Research Pier is also a nice area to snorkel - I've seen a fair amount of fish in this area as well (would be better as a backup to Hanauma since it's in the vicinity).

Where did you hear that the local sharks are tame? A better description might be that most of the local sharks are timid (the reef sharks such as the blacktips and the whitetips will mostly try to avoid human contact). But the tigers are another matter ... just remember that wildlife is exactly that, wild life, and should be treated with respect and caution. Unlikely that you'll even see a shark while snorkeling ... I have yet to run across one in my years of snorkeling. :)

Spleen

Hanauma Bay is charging $10 to get in now?

I am going scuba diving. When I spoke to a dive shop, the boat captain tried to convince me to take my friends ($35/ea, boat 2 locations, full gear rental) to go snorkeling in their boat.

He said Hanauma Bay is too crowded these days. Even if going with those shuttle companies ($12/person including gear rental + entrance fee), there are still long line ups getting in and out. He said either need to go really early, or after 3pm.

Many people did say Hanauma Bay is beautiful, but also eveyone said it's crowded. So if they raised the entrance fee from $5 to $10 now, it'll make going with a boat an attractive alternative.

Archived