Important Train Schedule Update - Rome

GSPLover

Can you tell me how long a trip it is from the port of Civitavecchia to Rome. Last time we took the train to Rome was many years ago. There was a strike when we wanted to return to the ship so we had to hire a car so we didnt miss the ship. A little learry of the train lol.

Depends on which type of train. Check my schedules (link below).

Basically, if it is a Regionale train (cheapest), it will be about 1n 15m. If it is one of the new Eurostar City trains (or an IC/IC+) it will be 45m. Both times are to Termini. The Eurostar City is non-stop to Termini.

Yes, strikes may happen, but they are really quite infrequent! Also, they are always advertised in advance.

Can you tell me how long a trip it is from the port of Civitavecchia to Rome. Last time we took the train to Rome was many years ago. There was a strike when we wanted to return to the ship so we had to hire a car so we didnt miss the ship. A little learry of the train lol.

Strikes are announced in advanced, so they really are less of a problem than some people seem to think. GSP might have strike information on his great website. If not, http://www.trasporti.gov.it/page/NuovoSito/site.php?p=scioperi is a decent page for this. TRENITALIA and FS mean the national rail company.

We know Rome well, speak Italian and have often used trains in Italy. But never while on a cruise.

What do you think of getting the train from S. Pietro or Ostiense on the return to Civitavecchia ?

We know Rome well, speak Italian and have often used trains in Italy. But never while on a cruise.

What do you think of getting the train from S. Pietro or Ostiense on the return to Civitavecchia ?

I see no problem with it at all as long as you know that the train stops their. Verify that with the Trenitalia site.

Also, please read my post response to Bobal about 5 prior to yours. Same general comments apply here.

If I understand it correctly, if I buy a BIRG ticket, I can only ride on the trains designated by "RG" on your Rome schedules. Is that correct? Thanks for the great website!!

Than is correct.

Sorry, not my rules.

For the train types, can I assume that "IP" means IC+ and "IC" means IC? And also, what is "SP"? You may want to update your legend so these codes are clear. Thanks for the great site!

Espresso is an IC type train that runs very late at night or early morning. Kind of a hold on to 30-40 year old terminology.

Adding a pop-up with the updated legend. Having problems with the dynamic version. Will have it soon.

Espresso is an IC type train that runs very late at night or early morning. Kind of a hold on to 30-40 year old terminology.

Adding a pop-up with the updated legend. Having problems with the dynamic version. Will have it soon.

Got to thinking about this. Actually it is 40 yr old terminology. Think that there were basically three train types (Locale, Direto, and Espresso). About like today's Regionale, IC and IC+. There was nothing equal to the Eurostar of today. Back then, they were all open-window AC in the summer. Needless to say, that didn't help much. Crowded trains got rather ripe too!

• 2 months later...

If any of you have attempted to access my site (sig line below) in the past week and have found it VERY, VERY slow; please be advised that there was another account (since removed/banned) that was causing the problem. Site is running normally again.

Archived