Important Train Schedule Update - Rome

GSPLover

I think that Trenitalia has finally finalized their new schedules.

There are many changes in the Rome to Civitavecchia / Civitavecchia to Rome routes.

• Several ES City trains have been added (non-stop between the cities) and, of course, at a higher price.
  • Some IC+ and ES stops have been eliminated in Civitavecchia (both directions).

My train site has been updated to reflect these changes. Note: The page format has been changed and there is now a printable page without graphics.

Still reviewing Livorno/Pisa/Firenze

Thanks GSPLover! The new printable timetables are perfect. Thanks so much for taking the time to update these and for being such a great resource! With all your info I dont need to worry about finding a Thomas Cook timetables book!:)

Interesting. That's the most significant change in a regional schedule I have seen in years. Looks like they are catering to cruise passengers in a big way (I have a hard time seeing locals paying extra for the fast trains on this route.

thanks for posting,

GspLover I just want to say Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Because of all your hard work and wonderful information we had the most amazing day going to Cinque Terre on our own. We printed your info and brought it along and pulled it out in each village. Yes we did make it to all five, sort of. We caught the train in Corniglia and didn't actually go up to the village but we did get to explore the other four. On the way there we caught all the right trains and got there at 10:20. We had a slight glitch on the way back though. The 15:43 train didn't go all the way to Livorno but we easily made connections in La Spezia and Pisa. Fortunatly whenever we got on a train we asked where it was going in case the schedule changed. We didn't make it back to the ship until 6:30 but our ship didn't leave until 8. The weather was perfect and we had a great time going between villages. I don't think we would have tried it on our own if we didn't have your info. So thank you again!!

GSP ...... thanks for updating the times etc on your great info site, while checking the Trenitalia site today for prices i noticed that there are Regional trains where the price is 4.50 euros due to there being no First class and wondered if you could include that in your details under the train times?

Are the tickets one way only? or can you buy a return journey if so does that make the price 9 euros pp Return?

Dave.

GspLover I just want to say Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Because of all your hard work and wonderful information we had the most amazing day going to Cinque Terre on our own. We printed your info and brought it along and pulled it out in each village. Yes we did make it to all five, sort of. We caught the train in Corniglia and didn't actually go up to the village but we did get to explore the other four. On the way there we caught all the right trains and got there at 10:20. We had a slight glitch on the way back though. The 15:43 train didn't go all the way to Livorno but we easily made connections in La Spezia and Pisa. Fortunatly whenever we got on a train we asked where it was going in case the schedule changed. We didn't make it back to the ship until 6:30 but our ship didn't leave until 8. The weather was perfect and we had a great time going between villages. I don't think we would have tried it on our own if we didn't have your info. So thank you again!!

Eileen,

I am so happy to hear that your trip went well. A slight glitch on a DIY like you went on is a good thing, especially since you only had one. We've had our share. Now you know what you might have missed and want to see when you go back! :D

GSP ...... thanks for updating the times etc on your great info site, while checking the Trenitalia site today for prices i noticed that there are Regional trains where the price is 4.50 euros due to there being no First class and wondered if you could include that in your details under the train times?

Are the tickets one way only? or can you buy a return journey if so does that make the price 9 euros pp Return?

Dave.

On the new schedule format, the prices are shown on the first page - not the printable pages. Tickets on any Italian train are one way, if you buy round trip (andata e riturno) you will get two tickets. Just remember, in this case, only validate the ones that you intend to use at that very time.

GSPLover,

Thank you for your excellent site. We used your timetables to get to Pompeii and Florence on our recent cruise, and they were extremely helpful. I appreciate all the work you put into providing this invaluable resource.

Thought you'd like to know, while we were waiting for the train from Pompeii back to Naples, a young man who spoke only Italian approached us and asked for information about the train schedule. We understood him, but would have had a difficult time communicating with our tourist Italian. I just whipped your schedules out of my bag and showed them to him. He was delighted to get such concrete information, which he dictated into his cell phone. So thank you on his behalf, too!

help I can't find the printable link.

It's a graphical link. Are you getting a box with a red X? If so, the graphics aren't loading for some reason. Click on the box.

If that doesn't work, send a email to foye at ftroute dot com and I'll send you the text for the link. Need to know what schedules you are trying to get.

I think that Trenitalia has finally finalized their new schedules.

There are many changes in the Rome to Civitavecchia / Civitavecchia to Rome routes.

• Several ES City trains have been added (non-stop between the cities) and, of course, at a higher price.
  • Some IC+ and ES stops have been eliminated in Civitavecchia (both directions).

My train site has been updated to reflect these changes. Note: The page format has been changed and there is now a printable page without graphics.

Still reviewing Livorno/Pisa/Firenze

How do I see and print the time schedules for Rome/Civitavecchia. I can get to the first page of the site, but cannot find the train time schedules

Thanks

Lorraine

How do I see and print the time schedules for Rome/Civitavecchia. I can get to the first page of the site, but cannot find the train time schedules

Thanks

Lorraine

When you get to the Italian Train site,

click on the link that says:

Train Schedule [by Departure City] which takes you to

http://www.ftroute.com/IT_Schedules.cfm

Thank you so much for all the time and effort put into your excellent guide.

However, I have one question. We're arriving at FCO on a Saturday evening and travelling to Civitavecchia. I understand that there is a route whereby we can take a local train (with one change) without having to go via Termini. Is this correct? I can't see it on your site - or am I missing something :confused:

Thanks

Thank you so much for all the time and effort put into your excellent guide.

However, I have one question. We're arriving at FCO on a Saturday evening and travelling to Civitavecchia. I understand that there is a route whereby we can take a local train (with one change) without having to go via Termini. Is this correct? I can't see it on your site - or am I missing something :confused:

Thanks

You are correct that there is another train from FCO to Rome that makes stops at several stations while enroute to Termini. And I do not have it (at the present time) on my schedules.

Any of these stops are at your standard pass-through train stations with multiple, parallel tracks. In most case, these require stairs to a passage way (above or below ground) to get to an adjacent track. Yes, some may have elevators. But elevators are a convenience only if you have time, and they are not large (maybe 4'x4').

Also, you must understand that if you get off at one of the intermediate stations, you will, in all probability, be waiting for the same train that you would have caught had you gone to Termini (which has no required stairs) in the first place.

In addition, is a basic understanding of trains in Italy. It is not uncommon for the track for a particular train to change at the last minute or two. No problem if you are waiting at binario 2 and it changes to binario 3 (same platform). Big problem, especially if you have luggage, if you are waiting at binario 2 or 3 and the change is to binario 1 or 5.

Yes, there are announcements but they are first in Italian and then (depending upon the station) maybe in English. Compound that with (a) surrounding noise and (b) that the speaker is talking into a microphone that probably is at the end of a very long tube and has a paper bag over it. Generally your first clue will be a mass exodus of people from the platform you are standing at, toward the nearest stairway. You look at the nearest monitor and see a track change. Then you look at the bags and think, oh $%#&!!!

If you want to look at one of these trains, go to the Trenitalia website (links on my site). Investigating the possibilities requires a good understanding of how their site works (to find all details and info).

My site is to help make train travel easy for cruise ship passengers, and does not cover every single possibility for train travel.

Can you tell me how long a trip it is from the port of Civitavecchia to Rome. Last time we took the train to Rome was many years ago. There was a strike when we wanted to return to the ship so we had to hire a car so we didnt miss the ship. A little learry of the train lol.

Archived