Harrison Cave

Jolly

My 13th year old son is on crutches and he would like to visit the cave. My husband & I did the cave a while back. I do remember that we take a tram down into the cave. But do we have allot of stairs to go down? Which is best take the ship tour or do it on our own?

Thanks ! Sandra

Happy Holidays to all:)

We did a private tour that included the caves and alot of other sightseeing both land and sea (Glory Tours, Best of Barbados). They time their excursions so that you beat the Cruiseline buses and don't have to wait. It was wonderful.

We're going to Harrison Cave in February. Can you tell me exactly what time it opens so we can beat the tours? Thanks.

Harrison's opens at 9AM and the last tour is at 4PM.

The last time that I checked, admission was US$12.50 for adults and US$5 for children 16 years and under.

Have a great time on the island! :)

harrisons.jpg

Hi:) I just returned from cruising on Constellation.

Have to say Harrison Caves was one of the absolute BEST excursions I have ever done!!!! Mother Nature at her most awesome:)

I definitely recommend this spot to anyone wanting something fun and interesting.

From their website, admission is now $16 for adults, $7 for children. http://www.harrisonscave.com.

There is not a year that goes by that I don't mis-quote the Harrison's caves admission prices!

I can remember when it was......almost free!

Thanks, Keta for bringing me up to 2004 levels!

Lois R, I'm so glad that you liked the caves.

I see about a 60/40 split. Folks that have seen the big U.S. caves seem unimpressed. Folks that haven't, seem to love Harrison's.

I've seen them all and I still love Harrison's as it is unique, yes?

I'll be back on the island for the winter in another two weeks and I won't see Harrison's unless we have house guests that want to go. I'm always impressed regardless of the number of time that I have seen it.

If I just had 10% of the gate, I could lay on the beach all winter and not work! ;)

We just got back. Harrison's Cave was very cool. I would suggest a hat and a water proof camera for this tour. It is very wet in the cave, it sometimes seemed as if it was raining inside. You will get dripped on. The formations and waterfalls should not be missed and are well worth it.

Have fun!

• 2 months later...

Hello! Could anyone answer...

How long is the cab ride to/from the caves... are there cabs waiting at the caves to bring you back? How much is the cab ride? How long did it take once you were there, until you got back in a cab to leave?

I really want to snorkel in the afternoon, will I make a 1:30 excursion if we go early in the morning?

Thanks so much!

We rented a car...but it took us about 20 minutes to get there.

As far as time at the caves...It will depend on how many people are in front of you. If your in a hurry...I would try to skip the movie...and ask to go right to the tram...which will take only about 30 min. Stan is right...there are PLENTY of taxi's for your return.

I, too, would like to know how much a cab costs. Also, someone mentioned it's wet inside the caves. Should I bring ponchos? In addition, my husband is 6'4" - are there any really tight areas during the tour? Finally, my daughter is 2: is this appropriate for her? Dangerous? (I read about fast flowing streams and waterfalls into deep pools....)

Anything nearby that would be worth doing? We were thinking of doing the caves and possibly the Mount Gay rum factory tour, and then hitting a beach (possibly the boatyard) in the afternoon. We're there until about 10 pm. Anything else a must-do (we've got a 2 and 6 year old with us.)

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

From what I've read on these boards....a taxi should cost somewhere in range of $15-20. Or if you hire a taxi by the hour...$22 an hour...and half of that while they wait for you. (those figures come by way of Mr. Barbados)

We rented a really nice car through Stoutes for about $80

I&MsMom: The cave is wet...meaning that you get dripped on fairly often. But there's no need for a poncho. The caves have been excavated considerably so there is plenty of headroom. You explore the caves by trams that drive on concrete/blacktop…and you only exit the tram (optional) twice for photo opps. Don't worry about tight places (except maybe his knees on the tram). And your 2 year old will be very safe sitting in between you and your husband.

If you would like to see some pics…run a search on webshots.com

Hi! I'm trying to put all this great info in perspective so please bear with me. From the ship, should we take a taxi to the cave directly or is there a tour you can find on your own at the pier that includes the caves? The price of the cab round trip plus the cost of admission to the cave seems a bit pricey. If there was a private driver or tour that included that as one of the stops, then it might be more feasible. Is there such a tour? What else is there to do in that area? I'm trying to entertain 5 teenagers on this trip!! Thanks for the help:D

Missyal

• 2 weeks later...

Missyal, I recommend getting in touch with Sarah from Glory Tours to see if you can arrange something. We did the Best of Barbados tour and it will be paced as quickly as you like it and includes the caves, the glass bottomed boat and swimming with turtles, etc. for $85.00 each, including lunch and all admissions. It was the best deal we got in the whole Caribbean and would be perfect for teens!

Kerry

• 3 weeks later...

I&MsMom--Not to discourage you, however, a two year old may become somewhat frightened in the cave. We visited the cave in Feb. and a woman was on the tram with us with her two sons, each approx. your kids' ages. The youngest one screamed so much, that she needed to hop on one of the other returning trams and return to the beginning. One of the guides remained with the other son and he was fine. I felt badly for the Mom -- she just didn't seem to know what to do, but it all worked out. We never know how our kids are going to be in these types of atmospheres. Good luck and have fun. And one of the prior posters was right, it's VERY drippy!! :D

Archived