Zaandam Marriage Proposal Ideas

loudon

My girlfriend and I will be on the Zaandam in August and I'm considering proposing to her at some point during the vacation - either in Alaska or aboard the ship.

If anyone is familiar with the Zaandam and has any creative ideas or suggestions for a cool/interesting/fun/unusual way to pop the question, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

They have a movie cinema on board, take her to a movie and put the ring in the popcorn. Just remember that Alaska cruise and Holland equal a very older crowd, as long a s you accept and know this you'll have a great vacation. We were shocked at the age of most guests on the Zaandam a few years ago, that's why we only traveled once on their fleet.

You can also put the ring in a glass of champagne.

Reserve a table in a quiet spot in the Pinnacle Grill (Vijay used to be the Manager, at least in Dec. - great guy to help you pull everything off!). The Pinnacle Grill is the specialty restaurant onboard - you can pre-book a reservation online. Costs $20 pp - well worth it. (Steaks, seafood)

It (the ring) could also be put right on top of her special dessert.

If you look at the gifts online section, you can also order some special packages - I think there is a rose petal turndown service of the bed (very romantic with rose petals sprinkled all over). That with some champagne!

You could propose under the stars on an upper deck. Have champagne pre-ordered and brought to you there. You could propose on your balcony (if you have one) and dine out there after the proposal. Have dinner delivered.

Many options. You could propose on a glacier on an excursion!

Best Wishes - whatever you decide! :D

The stern of the ship at sunset, as you are watching the wake of the ship.

Best of luck to you!:)

Don't pay attention to the remarks about old folks..."old" is just a state of mind. ;)

My girlfriend and I will be on the Zaandam in August and I'm considering proposing to her at some point during the vacation - either in Alaska or aboard the ship.

If anyone is familiar with the Zaandam and has any creative ideas or suggestions for a cool/interesting/fun/unusual way to pop the question, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

My suggestion would be to contact ship services. I bet if you explain what you are planning, the could arrange a private room (neptune lounge maybe) and have Champaign and Roses on hand. You could arrange for the cruie director to fetch her for some thing and bring her to the room where you, the champaign and roses are waiting.

I think that would be over the top romantic and something she would never forget.:)

Good luck!!

On one of our cruises the proposer spoke with the head chef and they conspired to have the ring placed inside a chocolate shell that came out at dessert time. You could do something like that.

I do think that she is a lucky girl to have someone as thoughtful as you to spend her life with. Good luck!

The most romantic thing to me would be to take a helicopter ride to one of the glaciers and have a bottle of champagne and propose to her up there.

Think of the great memories and stories to tell when you got home! Would be expensive, but worth every penny for the memories.

They have a movie cinema on board, take her to a movie and put the ring in the popcorn. Just remember that Alaska cruise and Holland equal a very older crowd, as long a s you accept and know this you'll have a great vacation. We were shocked at the age of most guests on the Zaandam a few years ago, that's why we only traveled once on their fleet.
Yes, we are aware of the age demographic but it doesn't bother us. We're taking this trip to see Alaska, not so much to meet people. We did a good amount of research and chose Holland America because they've been sailing to Alaska since before it was a state. Also, it's a smaller ship and we really wanted to see Glacier Bay. Our next cruise will be to the Caribbean and we will most likely try one of the other lines at that time.

I like your idea about the ring in the popcorn. Thanks.

What are your ports of call? There might be somewhere very unique and romantic ashore that we can help you with ...
The ports are: Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria, B.C. We're leaving from Seattle. Thanks for any input.

You could put the ring on a ribbon and slip it around the neck of a towel animal when she's not looking. (and then see how long it takes her to notice it :D ) Have champagne at the ready... (unless you hate champagne)

I would kind of worry about losing the popcorn ring in a dark theater.

You could put the ring on a ribbon and slip it around the neck of a towel animal when she's not looking. (and then see how long it takes her to notice it :D ) Have champagne at the ready... (unless you hate champagne)

I would worry that she might either choke on the ring or break a tooth on it if it were in the popcorn----unless of course you left it in the presentation box.

Totally depending upon your girlfriend's sense of humor and outgoingness ... would you want to make it a public moment?

I've read about people who worked with the Cruise Director and created a moment during the intro to a show where the CD either made a special announcement ("X wishes to say to Y, Will You Marry Me?") or got the guy up onstage, handed him the mic and the guy took it from there.

I think that whichever way to choose to pop the question, it's wonderful that you're considering all the possibilities to make it extra-special. My best wishes go to both of you for every happiness...

Also - didn't know how to insert both quotes -------

Our other favorite suggestion was contacting the Maitre D in the Pinnacle -

and having him help you with the surprise ! He might have some

creative suggestions ? Perhaps "singing waiters" ! Or an intimate

presentation with dessert !

Personally something early in the cruise might be the best - so your

fiance can enjoy more of the cruise as a newly engaged young lady ...

What a romantic... Good for you...

Speak to the cruise director and come up with something fun... You might be able to do a Leonardo/Kate Winslet on the bow of the ship as you are leaving the glacier area with the crew's permission...

You could organize champagne, and have a steward deliver a platter on a cushion with a ring on it, or something else fun...

Please report back, and let us know what you did...

:D:D:D

If you're going to present a ring when you propose (as opposed to selecting it together after she says "Yes!"), I recommend not putting it in food or drink. She'll want to see it on her finger asap. Food/drink will make that too messy.

If it's a nice day, you could propose on deck as the ship sails out of Glacier Bay. Have dinner booked at the Pinnacle that night to celebrate. If the weather delays the proposal, you still have a second chance at that romantic dinner.

If you do include the Cruise Director, Michael Helda was he CD on the Zaandam in February and he would be great at something like this. I think, perhaps, you could conspire with the dining room manager to come to your table and insist on something a "little special". He could then bring out the champagen and you could drop to your knee....ewwww, I love this stuff.....and then pop the question. I think you would get a huge response from all the other diners for sure.

WOW! Ruth, I thought you would love the chocolate clamshell idea...who cares if there is a little chocolate on the ring....even better!

I'm sailing on the Splendor on June 21 and am in a similar situation. I will be proposing to my girlfriend early on the trip.

My idea and question to you all is would it be possible to have something printed in the daily Capers paper that list current events on the ship.

Ideally I would like to ask her to marry me in print, read it together and then drop on one knee.

If it works out, my friend is going to bring and "advanced" copy of it to cocktails before supper club to perfect the moment of surprise.

Thanks for your input and best wishes...

I'm sailing on the Splendor on June 21 and am in a similar situation. I will be proposing to my girlfriend early on the trip.

My idea and question to you all is would it be possible to have something printed in the daily Capers paper that list current events on the ship.

Ideally I would like to ask her to marry me in print, read it together and then drop on one knee.

If it works out, my friend is going to bring and "advanced" copy of it to cocktails before supper club to perfect the moment of surprise.

Thanks for your input and best wishes...

Early in the cruise, go see the Cruise Director and tell him your idea/request. He MAY be able to print a one-off of the daily Capers just for you ... it's certainly worth a shot!

Let us know how it turns out...

I'm with takemewithyou. Take the helicopter to Mendenhall Glacier and propose there in front of the ice waterfall. An awesome experience. Then come back to the ship, get all dressed up, and celebrate with a nice romantic dinner in the Pinnacle Grill.

DH and I were on the Zaandam May 29 - June 5. The weather at the Glacier was beautiful - you could go to the bow of the ship and propose there. Photographers were on the bow taking shots of passengers, you could speak to one in advance and have a photo to remember the day too. We were at the Glacier for quite a while - that would be fun! Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

There's some GREAT suggestions here and whichever you decide I'm sure will be great.

When you come back, if you'd like, I would love to share some photos of the event with all of my readers.

If you would like to share, just email me at:

dutchbyassociation@blogspot.com

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived