Anyone else disappointed in todays ncl "sale"

karen327

If the fuel supplements are reinstated there may possibly be some "real deals" on some cruises after final payments are due!

On a positive note (and any cruise booking is positive, if you're happy with the price when you book it, IMO) - I'm pretty sure the fine print on my e-mail today said, "No Fuel Supplement on 2009 Cruises". They're still reserving the right to reinstate it but, they won't for '09 for sure. Great news, I think, but something that seems to be getting buried in the "the sale's not a sale" chat.

Booked a B2B E/W Caribbean on Sun Nov., 2010. Asked PCC to check and see if I could save $ w/ new sale. Here's her reply:

I checked the reservations. You have a better deal right now. The price did not change, however the new promo would wipe out the AMEX promo. The AMEX is $100 and this one is only $75. You are $25 dollars ahead right now.

Booked a Deluxe Owners Suite on the Epic for 2011. Price went up between yesterday and today because of the "sale" but my TA kept me at the rate I got quoted from over the weekend - my TA is apparently way busy with business - go figure. So the sale got me $250 more than I had before because of the OBC but the deposit was the same - Epic wasn't part of the reduced deposits. So I ended up ahead of the game on this - will see what happens with things over the next 2 years with price drops!! I can only hope.

I also called today to see if i could get the onboard credit. They said it would cost me more because i would lose my latitudes and union discount. I thought the union discount could be combined with anything except the soda package. As for the latitudes 30.00 off really? Oh well. It was worth a shot!

I am going on the Spirit July 3. The price went down $600.00 with the sale..I am sad..

You are always always going to find low prices 1 or two weeks before sail date. They need to fill the ship and I suggest that if you want to save 600$ then also wait and if your lucky y'll get the cabin next to the engine room.

Quit crying already.

Oh and go check and see what the price of your flight would be for last minute booking.

I'm not gonna be accusing anyone of anything, but I'm curious

If you didn't like this sale (I'm only lukewarm about it also), just what would you like them to offer (within reason that is)?

It was fine for me. I've been watching prices for a bit. The OBC was inconsequential because I booked a lowly inside:D but the half price deposit was handy because we're booking a looooong way out. I found that the price went up a bit on ncl.com but stayed the same at a different online site where it had been less than ncl.com to begin with (if that makes any sense.) I emailed the PCC to see if he could do anything and he was able to get us within about $10/person of the other price so we took it. I'd rather book direct so I'm happy.

It was fine for me. I've been watching prices for a bit. The OBC was inconsequential because I booked a lowly inside:D but the half price deposit was handy because we're booking a looooong way out. I found that the price went up a bit on ncl.com but stayed the same at a different online site where it had been less than ncl.com to begin with (if that makes any sense.) I emailed the PCC to see if he could do anything and he was able to get us within about $10/person of the other price so we took it. I'd rather book direct so I'm happy.

Great negotiating... Glad it worked out for you. I like to book with a PCC too.

I'm not gonna be accusing anyone of anything, but I'm curious

If you didn't like this sale (I'm only lukewarm about it also), just what would you like them to offer (within reason that is)?

Thank you for asking the question. As I read through the thread this was the question that kept coming to mind. Just because any cruise line offers a sale does not mean that it is going to produce a drop in the overall cruise rate for your sail date. Revenue management will drop the date if it is not selling. Even if you are booked far out and the cruise has lots of cabins left does not mean that this is enough, at that time, to drop pricing. As another post indicated, cruise prices are at an all time low. Cruise lines are going to try to get every penny out of their passengers that they can. They are not a non-profit organization.

Such a let down...NCL need to get some real deals out there. Just received a flyer in the mail from Princess Cruises for savings up to 2-for 1 (for past passengers) to SA, Asia, Australia, Repo, Panama Canal, Carib, Canada, no Europe though. Doing the 12-night South America sailing for the same price we paid for a 7-night Carib cruise! Now, that's a sale!!

Frankly I am surprised the cruise lines haven't laid up ships and personnel yet. With cruise prices so low this year, you would think they would reduce the supply of cabins to steady the price on fares. The airlines have reduced the number of flights.....

I'm thinking the only reason why they haven't done so is they have several mortages on each ship. Laying up very expensive ships don't reduce their mortages, thus the reason to sail the ships with low fares....

But expecting half price fire sale clearance prices for cruises this year isn't going to happen..... They will lay up ships before discounting cruises too much.....

I got an automated email from the site I booked on saying 50% deposit + $250 OBC. I was really bummed that I'd already booked & paid because I want that $250! But it looks like that credit is only for certain cruises and not the one I'm going on, so I guess it doesn't matter. I unsubscribed from the emails after that. It will just depress me if a real price drop comes along.

I got an automated email from the site I booked on saying 50% deposit + $250 OBC. I was really bummed that I'd already booked & paid because I want that $250! But it looks like that credit is only for certain cruises and not the one I'm going on, so I guess it doesn't matter. I unsubscribed from the emails after that. It will just depress me if a real price drop comes along.

Don't be too disappointed, because the $250 OBC is only for a Garden Villa. It's $150 for any other suite, and goes down from there category by category to $50 for an inside. (Unless you are in a Garden Villa, in which case you have evey right to be disappointed about not getting the $250 ;))

I called today and was able to add a $150.00 OBC to our Spirit cruise to Bermuda in May, 2010.:D This was after I called yesterday and was told nothing was available for our cruise. It pays to be persistent!

We did, however, lose the Pepsi promotion:p

Great negotiating... Glad it worked out for you. I like to book with a PCC too.

Thanks - never hurts to try. All they can do is say NO right?:D

The online company also charges $100 for cancellation or changes so for me, with booking more than a year out, it made sense to pay a bit more but be able to cancel without an additional service charge if it becomes necessary.

Just got off the phone with my TA to get the new discounted fare for the Med in October - even with the loss of a $75 credit and re-booking fee we saved a total of $375. It took her a while with several transfers within NCL, but she got it. Same cabin - $375 off. It is definitely work looking into.

Just booked our cruise on the NCL Jewel for May 8, 2010 at CruCon.com and with the past passenger and union member discount got a great deal AND $300 OBC for our balcony cabin. I'm happy...guess that's all that matters! :)

Hi,

The NCL NOW site did not exclude Union OR Military discounts. If you have trouble finiding it...let me know and I'll verify the location

Blessings,

Gail

P.S. Don....I always think of the Gorton's guy as well. Wish you were going on the Majesty with us...looks like you can steer. :)

When I first looked at the sale on Tuesday I was sadly disappointed but then last night at 6 the price of an AC suite on the Spirit went down by $400pp for the sailing we were waiting to book August 7th. We booked immediately! Finally, I can quit looking! We also got the OBC of $150. 7 weeks from tomorrow. Can't wait.:D

I was able to upgrade my cabin and pay a small amount less. I asked about the Amex promo where you get OBC for paying with your AMEX but the PCC said that promo expired a week ago.

I see it has been extended on places like Travelocity though.

Archived