Thinking of Alaska - Should I go?

I read this boards frequently (ok, way too often) and know many of my fellow cruisers give great advice! So here's my dilema:

I live near Seattle, so cruising last minute to Alaska is a very real option for me - and this year the prices can't be beat! I was on the Rhapsody earlier this year (Hawaii Repo) and loved the ship and crew. Taking a week and doing it 'one more time' is a very, very tempting way to get a little R&R before 'crazy season' at work starts.

The problem is, even with the prices, I would have to do the cruise on a shoestring. For those that have been, is cruising Alaska primarily to see the scenery from the ship worth it? Are there any inexpensive options for touring that I could consider or is there plenty to see if you just walk off in port?

It depends on what you want out of the cruise. If you're looking to relax before the "crazy season" starts, I can't think of a better way than to sit on the deck and watch the scenery go by. I've only been there once but I'd love to go again. We went to Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway through the Inside Passage. There seemed to be plenty to see and do in all three ports that wouldn't require much money. I'd give it some thought.

At first (a phrase I cannot stress enough) I was not looking forward to Alaska but my husband wanted to go so I treated him (thought process was that once I got him there we could look at other "dream" itineraries).

It turned out, however, that I loved the cruise. The scenery was amazing and like nothing I ever experienced. The glacier viewing days were great...could go out as often as we wanted and then come back in to relax and go back out if we wanted. I have every intention to go back...just want to get to some European cities first.

Heck Ya!! We will be on the Rhapsody on July 10th. I have heard from so many people that Alaska is their favorite cruise!!!

good luck,

Dianne

I fell in love with the Rhapsody this year :) The crew is the BEST! There are many I could mention, but when you go in July, go to the Schooner Bar and ask for "Do Ron". We went to the Schooner just to see him every day because you couldn't help but smile when you were around him.

I'll be watching to see what you thought of your cruise when you get back. If I'm able to go, it will be in late August, but I'm very tempted!

It depends on what you want out of the cruise. If you're looking to relax before the "crazy season" starts, I can't think of a better way than to sit on the deck and watch the scenery go by. I've only been there once but I'd love to go again. We went to Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway through the Inside Passage. There seemed to be plenty to see and do in all three ports that wouldn't require much money. I'd give it some thought.

That's exactly what I'm thinking! I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be disappointed if I didn't do all of the tours this time since I've read they can be pricey.

Unfortunately for me the answer is no to an Alaskan cruise.

Alaska is a place I've always dreamed of going. In fact, whenever I hear about someone or meet someone who's FROM Alaska, I think, "Wow, that is SOOOO cool...I can't believe people actually live there." (And I grew up in NYC!)

But I wouldn't want to do AK until I really had the money to do so. I've heard one-way cruises are better than the round-trip ones, but the one-way fares kill me. The cruises have been cheaper than I've ever seen but I can't get air for less than $600.

Then I'd have to fly in both a day early and a day later (hotels adding to the expense now). And I couldn't imagine going through all that and not doing a 4-day extension up through Denali.

If I lived near Seattle, it would be pretty different. I'd be much more likely to go but I'd still wait until I had enough money to extend for a few days.

But if you DO decide to go, you'll love it, because that's all I've EVER heard, AND I'm TOTALLY jealous.

Everyone has an opinion, so here's mine..........

You couldn't do any better! Alaska has lot of stops in small towns where you can just walk around and spend what you want to spend. You can usually even go back to the ship for lunch and save on that.

Being from Seatle, the scenery may seem familiar to you. We were wowed because it is so much prettier than our Southern California semi-desert. My folks live in northern Minnesota and weren't nearly as impressed as we were.

If you do want to do things check out the discount book at toursaver.com. 1/2 off many items if you do want to do something like a flightseeing tour in one of the ports. We saved over $500 using it.........though we spent $500 to save $500..........

If you have the time, b2b with flights out of Seattle are a good deal. There are lots of inexpensive things you can do in Alaskan ports. Our favorite was the shuttle bus ($14) out to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. Another fun thing was the Days of 98 show ($30) in Skagway. Ketchikan is a neat place to wander around. If you have the budget for one shore excursion, try whale watching in Juneau, White Pass RR in Skagway or Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's tour in Ketchikan.

You might also consider Serenade of the Seas out of Vancouver.It's a newer ship with lots of glass. It's a 3.5 hour drive by car/bus from Seattle. Guess you get more ports out of Vancouver (I might be wrong)

Just came last month back from Alaska and LOVED it. As you can see below I was on the Radiance of the Seas (sistership to Serenade) and loved the ship too.

DO NOT hesitate!! Book it today! The prices are great. In 24 years of cruising......Alaska ranks way up there.....even BEFORE a Caribbean cruise.....and we are beach people! Check the Alaska Port of call board for ideas of things to do that are not so expensive. The board is the best on CC. Wish I could go!

We have done Alaska 3 times and loved it each time. Last time we just strolled the ports and enjoyed the scenery, especially the the Hubbard glacier. One inexpensive thing to do in Juneas is to take the tram up to Mt. Roberts. It is right at the port. There is a raptor center up there.

Jan

I really envy the OP living in Seattle and not having to fly to the departure city.

I just got back from Alaska on Rhapsody last Friday and I would do it again in a heartbeat if I didn't have to fly. I wouldn't think twice!

My husband and I also loved Do Ron(?) in the Schooner bar!

My husband and I did Alaska last year (yes, a one way on Carnival) and it was a fabulous trip. I loved being able to sit there and watch the coastline go by.

We did, however, splurge on excursions and we really enjoyed most of them. That said, I think you can get by on a shoestring - or shoe leather! budget. Each place was very walkable, with a lot to see on your own. Juneau, perhaps, had the most to offer that wasn't terribly expensive.

It was a great trip, though we loved the inland parts better and we're trying to figure out when to go back!!

I really appreciate everyone's opinions and comments!! What I was hoping for was to get an idea of what I might expect from the cruise if I cut way back on the 'excursion' angle and just enjoy the ship and scenery and you've given me some excellent ideas to pursue. I will also ask on the Alaska forum when time gets closer.

Amybeth - I agree that someday I would like to do the full deal with some extra days to go to Denali, but that's not in the cards for the next few years (for various reasons). I'm hoping I can get some information to entice my parents to join me on that trip (my Dad is hesitant).

Robbinsca - I moved here 20 years ago and I'm still in awe of the scenery :) The natural beauty of the area is a big part of why I live here so I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Carribean Boy - I've actually looked at Serenade because I LOVE the Radiance class ships. However, I have a special place in my heart for the Rhapsody and her crew - many of whom will be leaving for other contracts after the Alaska season.

Lady Godiva - I don't know how to spell 'Do Ron's' name either, but isn't he a wonderful? Call 911!!

Guess I better get busy booking my cruise :):)

We are just back from the Serenade. We loved it. The views were spectacular and the ship fabulous.

You could do this one on a budget. The first day is a sea day, lovely relaxing day to find your way around the ship and enjoy what it has to offer. The second day is Icy Strait Point. My DH ziplined but I walked around the port area and then we both hiked into town. A really pretty walk with lots of interesting things to see along the way. The only money I spent was a few bucks in the local pub ~ The Office, great place with lots of local culture.

The same goes for Skagway and Juneau. Both larger towns with plenty to see and do without spending tons of money. We did opt to do excursions, the Skagway extravaganza and the Whale Watching. We figured it would be our one and only time going so we were going to do it all. Our excursions were very pricey, and you know what? We are going back anyway. Still so much left to see and places to go.

My favorite day was a sea day when we went into the glacier. The weather was fabulous and the views spectacular.

Go, you will not be sorry.

Take a look at my photos in my siggy. (but remember, words and pics cannot do it justice!)

Bon Voyage!

Definitely worth it. If I lived that close, I would definitely do it again this year. I don't think it will be this cheap again.

Plus, there are cheap things in port, too. We took a bus to Mendenhall Glacier, about $6, there is the inexpensive tram in Juneau (foggy the day we were there so didn't do it), and, yes, just walking around in the ports.

Amybeth - I agree that someday I would like to do the full deal with some extra days to go to Denali, but that's not in the cards for the next few years (for various reasons). I'm hoping I can get some information to entice my parents to join me on that trip (my Dad is hesitant).

Send him to this thread. We'll convince him! It's really supposed to be one of the most beautiful of cruises. Good luck!!

Living in Vancouver, we were in a similiar situation...DH always said he wasn't old enough to Cruise to Alaska (He's 56)..then we got a great last minute deal on HAL and we booked. Alaska was absolutely amazing, beat any expectation that we had (HAL sucked, but that's another matter). Honestly, go, it's beautiful.

The problem is, even with the prices, I would have to do the cruise on a shoestring. For those that have been, is cruising Alaska primarily to see the scenery from the ship worth it? Are there any inexpensive options for touring that I could consider or is there plenty to see if you just walk off in port?

We just did our Serenade cruise on a shoestring! No excursions. We just walked around in port. We did spring for a balcony and had a wonderful time enjoying the scenery from there. The scenery is breath-taking!

Archived