Costa Cruise Lines

ChristieK0310

Hi,

I was hoping that someone could give me a famil perspective on the above cruise line. My inlaws have booked a 14 night Far East Cruise out of Hong Kong with them in October and we'd love to go but are scared that Royal Caribbean have spoilt us!

We love Royal and I am waiting until my little one is 3 until we go again with them but although she'll only be 2 when they go the ports look fab - I am just scared that I won't enjoy it as I might feel disappointed.

I am finding it hard to find a proper family review.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Christie

Costa seems to get overall poor reviews. I would avoid them.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=992095&highlight=costa+cruise+lines

Hmm...unless you've sailed Costa, it would hardly seem fair that you recommend or not recommend them....

Christiek0310--what ship are you looking at? The newer Costa ships are EXACTLY the same as the Carnival ships in layout. Speaking from personal experience, we've sailed Costa several times with the kids, and they had a FABULOUS time! Their kids clubs and activities mirror that of Carnival. The food is really good, authentic Italian. And, you can usually get a "Kids Sail Free" deal on most of their sailings.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I still have the Kids Club pages around the house somewhere...

CeleBrat

I have also sailed Costa with my kids and we all enjoyed it very much. My oldest was 11 at the time, and he had a great time in the Squok Club. He also spent time with other kids his age outside the club and seemed to really enjoy himself.

My youngest was 1 1/2... he liked the music and seeing all of the people. Luckily my MIL was with us and was more than happy to entertain him when DH and I wanted to do our own thing in the ports and around the ship. He was too young for the Squok Club.

I haven't been on any other lines, but from my understanding, Costa probably does not have as many kids activities on board as some of the more popular lines, but I don't think a 2-3 year old is going to notice that. ;) I should also say that I've only done the Caribbean itineraries and from what I've read, the demographics can be quite different on more exotic trips.

Definitely do some research on the Costa board before you make any final decisions! I can't imagine there would be much bad about a 14-night cruise on ANY ship!!

As is the case with each of the cruise lines each person has their favorites(s).

All I can say is that Costa is no RCI. If you liked RCI a great deal I would not expect your expience with Costa to be as good as RCI. If you are going just for the ports that is a different story.

Keith

Costa is VERY popular in Brazil and really geared toward family.

I think the experience will be very different from RCI-but different doesn´t have to be bad if you keep an open mind. I am sure there will be a very international mix on board , which could be a great opportunityfor everyone!

Since you will be traveling with extended family , it will be a neat way to see the world , have some down time with your husband (since I am sure in-laws would be willing to stay with your little one once in a while) and relax for 14 days.

Kim

As is the case with each of the cruise lines each person has their favorites(s).

All I can say is that Costa is no RCI. If you liked RCI a great deal I would not expect your expience with Costa to be as good as RCI. If you are going just for the ports that is a different story.

Keith

I would say costa is much better than RCI:D

I would say costa is much better than RCI:D

When most folks discuss the top lines for family cruise criuse lines such as RCI, Princess, Celebrity and Carnival usually are mentioned first.

Out of curiousity what did you like better about Costa for the family over RCI?

Just wondering.

Keith

Hi,

I was hoping that someone could give me a famil perspective on the above cruise line. My inlaws have booked a 14 night Far East Cruise out of Hong Kong with them in October and we'd love to go but are scared that Royal Caribbean have spoilt us!

We love Royal and I am waiting until my little one is 3 until we go again with them but although she'll only be 2 when they go the ports look fab - I am just scared that I won't enjoy it as I might feel disappointed.

I am finding it hard to find a proper family review.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Christie

Costa is a great line,dot worry at all.I just afraid its not gonna be to much kids in your cruise,but you will have good time.

When most folks discuss the top lines for family cruise criuse lines such as RCI, Princess, Celebrity and Carnival usually are mentioned first.

Out of curiousity what did you like better about Costa for the family over RCI?

Just wondering.

Keith

Sevice,food,kids club,not to big ships,and no mantion kids sail free very often not like on RCI we had to pay same amount( 100$ less) for 1 year old and for adult in cabin:mad:

Sevice,food,kids club,not to big ships,and no mantion kids sail free very often not like on RCI we had to pay same amount( 100$ less) for 1 year old and for adult in cabin:mad:

Glad it worked out for you. Most folks we know including ourselves would say the reverse but I'm sure there are some who would go with Costa.

Glad it worked out well for you.

Keith

Glad it worked out for you. Most folks we know including ourselves would say the reverse but I'm sure there are some who would go with Costa.

Glad it worked out well for you.

Keith

i have to say its only my opinion and I am absolutly nave no favorite line)I would go on any line but NCL:D .

Archived