what to do with passport and money....

while we are snorkeling or in the ocean? we are leaving on the legend sunday 6-21. we have several excursions planned where we (dh,dd and myself) will all be in the water.....what works best for passport, money, id? water proof pouch of any sort available?

and another quick question....will wearing a rayon long shorts/capris outfit be ok for elegant night? it is very dressy with a lined blouse, black heeled sandals, it is something i would wear to one of our finest resturants, church or business function here in town?:confused:

thanks for all your info....i love this board!

You won't need your passport to go ashore--leave it in your cabin safe! Credit cards, your cabin key/charge card and cash are already "waterproof"---the cards are plastic and even wet money will spend just fine! Just don't bring too much with you---you won't need it!

On elegant night, shorts and capris are in NO WAY "elegant"! But, you can get away with it---they will not bar you from the dining room!

I ask that question because different tours have different options for your belongings.

While snorkeling in Cozumel, we each had a locker where we could place our clothing and valuables. While we were on the beach, in front of the snorkeling company's office, there were also some open air cubes. One of the young men working in the shop told me that I could put my camera and my watch in the cubes and no one would bother them. I was hesitant, but I took his word and we had no problems whatsoever. They made sure that no one got close to the cubes other than the owners.

On a cruise to Grand Cayman, we were in a boat, going out to a sandbar to feed the stingrays. There were no lockers anywhere. I put my camera and my wallet in my wife's carryall bag. It was left out on the top deck with everyone else's things as well. No one bothered the bags.

It only takes one thief to ruin it, but I have had no bad experiences.

Good luck!

Lee

I agree leave your passport in the safe. I bought a water proof pouch for my lic., S&S money and credit card. That way I don't have to losing or getting it stolen. Clips on your suit or goes around your head either way. If the money gets wet...now you can use the hair dyer in the cabin:eek:

I bought a waterproof bag, about the same size of a passport. It is has a rope on it like a lanyard to wear around your neck.

My fiance doesnt have a drivers licence and his only form of government issued ID is his passport.

Many people say to leave your passport in your room safe, but I havent decided what I am doing yet. what IF you were to miss the boat and didnt have your passport....what woud you do.

I know it isnt very likely but who knows.

As much as possible, leave the valuables in the room safe including the original passports (take photocopies). For what you must take with you, get a good water proof pouch and several zip lock bags for added safety and tie tightly into an inside pocket of your swim wear. Or see if the snorkeling boat has a safety locker. Or before leaving your room, hide money and stuff in the bottom inside lining of your carry bag that you will leave on the snorkeling boat.

If you leave your passport in your safe on the ship, what happens should an emergency crop up and the ship sails without you? Your passport is safely on board, doing you no good whatsoever since you're now on foreign soil without identification.

No, not the likeliest of scenarios, but still a distinct possibility. Do you REALLY want to take that chance?

If you leave your passport in your safe on the ship, what happens should an emergency crop up and the ship sails without you? Your passport is safely on board, doing you no good whatsoever since you're now on foreign soil without identification.

No, not the likeliest of scenarios, but still a distinct possibility. Do you REALLY want to take that chance?

Some people take copies of their passports. Is that really sufficient if you miss the ship?

Go cruise on some of the upscale lines. They take you passport on boarding and return it at disembarkation. You learn that you don't need it ashore. Leave the passport on the ship. Buy a small waterproof container in the gift shop and put your ID, S&S card, a credit card and cash in it and put it in your bathing suit pocket (tie it to one of the many strings on your suit).

We always leave our passports in the cabin safe. I have a waterproof pouch that goes around your waist like a fanny pack, but is flat. It has an inside pouch that is completely waterproof and seals air tight. It goes inside another pouch that is also water proof. It was invented by the US Navy for the navy seals; I found the link to it on CC years ago, but can't remember what it's called now..sorry.

I'm always afraid the lanyard type will come off my neck while swimming or snorkeling.

Some people take copies of their passports. Is that really sufficient if you miss the ship?

No !! A xerox copy would only be of value to make a lost or stolen report of your passport. Says that right on US govt website.

I take my passports when I go ashore and have a waterproof bag that they fit in. Beside that, the document page is waterproof.

They do you no good in the cabin safe, but many poeple bring them on a cruise but lock them up all week in the safe.

I ask, why bother to bring them at all if you don't take them out of the safe.

Just my choice....

Go cruise on some of the upscale lines. They take you passport on boarding and return it at disembarkation. You learn that you don't need it ashore. Leave the passport on the ship. Buy a small waterproof container in the gift shop and put your ID, S&S card, a credit card and cash in it and put it in your bathing suit pocket (tie it to one of the many strings on your suit).

Only if you are not a US citizen....

while we are snorkeling or in the ocean? we are leaving on the legend sunday 6-21. we have several excursions planned where we (dh,dd and myself) will all be in the water.....what works best for passport, money, id? water proof pouch of any sort available?

I always lock my passport in the safe and take laminated color photocopies ashore with me. This way I don't have to worry if they get wet or stolen. I do the same thing with my money.

...and take laminated color photocopies ashore with me. This way I don't have to worry if they get wet or stolen. I do the same thing with my money.

Gotta find me a store on my next cruise that takes laminated color photocopies of my money too.....(wink,wink-could'nt let that one pass!).

No, you don't need your passport ashore. Until that emergency comes up and you need to fly home or to the next port. Just try flying internationally without a passport and see how far you get.

Only if you are not a US citizen....

For ALL passengers without regard to citizenship. If you haven't been there, and I have on four different voyages, don't assume to know.

Here's what I bought for my recent kayaking excursion

http://www.magellans.com/store/Wallets___Money_Belts___Security_Wallets___Money_BeltsSV834?Args=

A small camera will fit inside, also.

I took my passport, credit card, and some money in addition to my S&S card. What if you or the person traveling with you has an emergency and you have to go to the hospital and cannot return to the ship in time? You will have enough worries then without worrying about being in a foreign country without a passport.

Sports Academy carries Dry Pak. They have different sizes; small and large, flat for documents and one even for a camera. They have a two leaver closure device which makes it easy to open and make sure the paks are sealed and also a strap and/or clip. I purchased two; a flat one for documents and even held my glucometer and ipod and another for my camera, which according to instructions, pictures can be taken without removing the camera from the pak (although I didn't test this). These were really inexpensive; don't remember exact amount, but under $15.00. The one I kept my camera in also kept beach sand away from my camera.

Archived