sushi eaters

mgmigs

All 5 in our family are sushi regulars so we were looking forward to it when we sailed on Valor last year (and we are looking forward to it on Splendor coming up).

I would categorize it as about the same as you'd get in a local (not big chain) supermarket here in the Northeast.

Contrary to some of these posts, not everything we had was cooked. We had raw tuna sushi (not sashimi) on two different nights. We made friends with the sushi chef and gave him a nice tip for sake on a couple of nights. We also worked to realize when the lines where shortest (our son would let us know) and our whole family would enjoy a nice drink, a few pieces of sushi and the view. Once he knew us, the chef went out of his way to make us happy.

I understand those that say "it's not the best" - I've had the good fortune of eating in some of the best sushi restaurants in North America and Asia --and of course it's not!! Is it acceptable? Yes! Is it enjoyable? Yes!

Heck, we cruise because it's the best value for a family of 5. I'm not sure where the "don't bother" folks eat breakfast, lunch or dinner when it isn't sushi but I can't say that the eggs/sandwiches/strip steak on a cruise set any culinary records!! - They too equal decent food.

Go for it.

The sushi is better than nothing. I'm a new sushi foodie, and enjoyed letting some of the veterans explain what was what, and the proper way to eat it.

Ack, I disagree. I am a serious sushi eater and found the sushi on Liberty to be deplorable.

realistically what can i expect from the sushi bar? i eat sushi reguarly and was wondering what the carnival sushi compares to. i've had the rccl sushi which i feel is absolutely awful. rccl does not use any raw fish..... all they use is smoked salmon, veggies and sometimes shrimp.

Definitely not worth it.

If your ship has a fish and chips restaurant, the seared tuna is amazing.

I have never tried sushi but really want to on my next cruise. I don't want to look COMPLETELY stupid when I order. This stuff looks awful and I wouldn't even know how to go about eating it. Can you please describe what everything is and how to eat? BTW, I can't use chopsticks, can I just use a fork? And please, don't laugh at me for my ??? or when you see me on the ship trying to eat this:D

You should also eat the entire thing in one bite. Don't cut it in half or try to bite it in half. Just shove the whole thing in.

DSCN0125.jpg

I have never tried sushi but really want to on my next cruise. I don't want to look COMPLETELY stupid when I order. This stuff looks awful and I wouldn't even know how to go about eating it. Can you please describe what everything is and how to eat? BTW, I can't use chopsticks, can I just use a fork? And please, don't laugh at me for my ??? or when you see me on the ship trying to eat this:D

if you like to dip your sushi in soy sauce and wasabi, it is best to take wasabi and blend it with a small amount of soy, to make it smoother, then add the rest of the soy sauce you want, that way you avoid wasabi lumps. and i agree, eat sushi in 1 bite (even the pieces that look too big). it is very poor manners to eat your sushi pieces in more than 1 bite.

You should also eat the entire thing in one bite. Don't cut it in half or try to bite it in half. Just shove the whole thing in.

You're kidding right:o OMG! Remember, I am trying this for the 1st time people!! And you want me to "shove the whole thing in"????? What if it is horrible? I am so afraid it won't go down if I put the whole thing in. I'm pretty good about trying new things, but not shoving a whole piece of something in. Maybe I should just get it and take it back to the room so as not to do the wrong thing and look ridiculous:o I love all the suggestions. Can someone tell me what that black stuff is around that rice looking stuff? It really looks EWWW

We always choose late dining, and a sushi snack makes the perfect way to tide us over from lunch to dinner.

On NCL, they do not have any free sushi, but for $15 you can go to an all-you-ca-eat sushi lunch, and they have HUGE portions of raw fish and you can eat as much as you want.

When I did this the waiter misunderstood me when I asked for more, and brought this huge chunk of raw tuna. I have to admit it was fresh and delicious - better than filet mignon. But it was way too much!

You're kidding right:o OMG! Remember, I am trying this for the 1st time people!! And you want me to "shove the whole thing in"????? What if it is horrible? I am so afraid it won't go down if I put the whole thing in. I'm pretty good about trying new things, but not shoving a whole piece of something in. Maybe I should just get it and take it back to the room so as not to do the wrong thing and look ridiculous:o I love all the suggestions. Can someone tell me what that black stuff is around that rice looking stuff? It really looks EWWW

the black stuff is seaweed, properly known as "nori". yes, eat the whole thing in one bite. the first time, try a smaller piece like the ones pictured on the right. do you normally eat fish? if so, nothing there should be horrible to you. otherwise, choose a veggie roll first. certain fish sushi like shrimp and eel always served cooked.

Archived