Best Restaurants in Anchorage, Seward, and Denali

mtnhappy

When I called and asked the concierge at Capt Cook (where we're staying) whether he'd recommend Simon & Seaforts or Glacier Brewhouse, he (and another person standing next to him) said S&S, hands down. Yet it's the Brewhouse that gets much more mention here. I wonder why? I definitely want to make reservations (thanks, Susan), but not sure which. I guess S&S is likely to be a more relaxed meal, which at our ripe old ages (late 70's) may be the better bet. (But my husband is a beer connoisseur, so that' why I though GB might be fun.) Oh, well-- not a terribly impt decision. I imagine we'd enjoy either one. (and Crow's Nest for our 2nd night)

I like Glacier Brewhouse but in my opinion it's a very noisy restaurant. The food is great but it's one big room with the bar and the restaurant in that area and the noise level can get up there especially if the restaurant is full.

In regards to Simon & Seafort's they have Alaskan beers too and we go all the time especially when they have their Happy Hour early during the Fall/Winter/Spring. Plus my Mom loves the place so we'll make at least one trip while she's here this summer. Here's a link to their current bar menu to show the beer selections http://www.r-u-i.com/pdf/menus/SimonSeaforts-Anchorage-Bar.pdf I personally like their Pomegranate Margarita. Also, their $4 chardonnay isn't bad. We order the $4 drinks in the dining room too.

Susan in Anchorage :)

We ate at Simons and Seaforts - have half price appetizers starting at 9pm and has the best view in town.

Simon's has gone to their summer (tourist) hours on the 1/2 price appetizers. They don't start to 10 p.m. now.

The Glacier Brewhouse sounds like a good place to eat, does anyone know how far it is from the The Anchorage Marriott? And does anyone know any good places to eat close to the Anchorage Marriott?

It's basically just a couple of blocks over. You're at 7th between H & I and Glacier Brewhouse is at 5th between G & H.

Also in that area is Humpy's or Glacier Brewhouse's sister restaurant Orso. Simon & Seafort's wouldn't be a bad walk either as well as the Snow City Cafe.

Eat in the blue train (I'm not sure, but I think it is called The Smokehouse). We just had a snack there because we were going back to the ship on a B2B cruise and didn't think we should pay for dinner. It turned out to be a mistake, as the lime pie was the best I've had and everything coming out of the kitchen was winning raves from the other customers. Everything looked and smelled great. We will return for a full meal.

Just returned from my brother's wedding in Anchorage and he took us to Gwennie's for breakfast and to City Diner another day for lunch. Both had very good food, good service and I thought reasonable prices.

Gwennie's had a lot of atmosphere and the servings were enormous. I would definitely go back there again.

Susan, are all of these restaurants within walking distance to the Anchorage Marriott? And is it safe to walk to these restaurants? Also do you know how far Seaveys dog show is from the Anchorage Marriott?? Thanks!!

The answer I gave above all these restaurants, such as Glacier Brewhouse, Orso, Humpy's, Snow City, Snowgoose are probably all within 5 to 10 blocks from the Marriott. I have no problems with walking in downtown day or night, winter or summer. Like anywhere you travel just be conscious of your surroundings.

Seavey's is going to be probably be close to a mile but with that being said the walk down would be okay but the walk back could be somewhat difficult as Ship Creek Avenue sits at the bottom of a hill (not straight up but a good incline) so if you go down the hill you must come up the hill later.

Thanks again for the information. Do I need reservations for the dog show? I know they offer a dinner show, but I really would like to eat at 1 of the restaurants you suggested and then go to the show.

Unfortunately I can't help with if you should make a reservation or not for the dog show as I don't know how full they run but you'd take the chance if you didn't have one of getting down there and not getting in. You could always call them on the day you want to go to see how it looks.

In regards to places like Glacier Brewhouse, Orso's, Snowgoose, Simon's you may want to make a reservation or go knowing that it could be a 45 minute or even longer wait to get in. Sometimes even with a reservation you'll have to wait say 15 minutes as tables didn't turn over as fast as the restaurant predicted.

All I know is if we're going downtown during the summer we make reservations.

Do you suggest making a reservation before we leave to go on our trip or doing it that day when we arrive in Anchorage? What time do you suggest if we are wanting to go to dog show?

I would do a dinner reservation before you leave on your trip. If you waited until you got here, they may have some openings but they wouldn't probably be at a time that you would want, say 8:30 or 9:00 p.m.

I don't know how much time you'd be spending at the dog sled show, so I really can't help in regards to a time for your dinner reservation. That's a decision you'll have to make.

You have probably already heard this but eating out in Alaska is very expensive when compared to the lower 48. So keep that in mind and budget accordingly.

In Seward the only place we ate at was Chinooks which was good and moderately priced for a good seafood dinner. In Anchorage, we ate a great meal at Orso which is next door to Glacier Brewhouse (Orso and Glacier Brewhouse have the same owner). The cheapest lunch we had was a $6 Reindeer Hotdog from the food stand in front of the Federal Building. In Denali, we had a decent pizza from Luigis on the Princess property ($20 for a small pepperoni). The cheapest meal we had in Denali was from the Subway in Glitter Gulch.

We were traveling around alot so lunches mainly consisted of trail mixes we got from the Anchorage Costco. Tip - those plastic cups you find in hotel rooms work well for eating the mix in the car.

We had a really nice dinner at a place called Ray's in Seward. We had a table over looking the water. All 4 of us really liked the place.

I agree with the previous poster about the pizza at Luigis in Denali. Decent pizza and a pretty fair price considering. We didn't stay in the Princess hotel - just ate at the pizza place. We didn't eat at Subway, but the times we passed by - it was very crowded.

Nancy:)

I've been addicted to Glacier Brewhouse since I first went there in 2000 (about five times in two weeks), and it was every bit as good when I went there last month.

However, if you're going to have a car in the Denali area, I highly recommend the small restaurant at Black Diamond Golf Course in Healy, about 10 miles north of Denali National Park entrance. We had spectacular food there, and when I mentioned that the crust of my banana cream pie was stuck to the bowl, they immediately took the pie off the bill. Excellent service and delicious (and of course expensive) food.

I did not eat at subway-i can get anywhere but i went to the sub shop that was in the same mall and it was great. again the rib place up the hill- they will pick you up. book at the hotel desk.

Moose's Tooth for pizza was great. Don't be frightened away if the parking lot is full. We had an RV and parked in a plaza a block away(lot was full) and we were seated in 10 minutes. We had pizza, but the salads looked really good, too. While restaurant prices may be alittle higher, there is no sales tax in most places--what a difference from the 11 and and a half percent hospitality tax that we experience in Myrtle Beach!

..in Anchorage. Lovely atmosphere and nice, inventive food. We went for lunch and the prices were reasonable by Alaska standards. The crowd appeared to be mostly locals.

....in Seward we liked the Greek place downtown. They had pizza and a variety of other menu options.

These suggestions are great!

We arrive in ANC at 5:30 on a Friday evening, so by the time we get to our hotel, Embassy Suites, could be looking at 7, 7:30. I think we are close enough to Moose Tooth to walk.

Does that sound right?

Thanks,

These suggestions are great!

We arrive in ANC at 5:30 on a Friday evening, so by the time we get to our hotel, Embassy Suites, could be looking at 7, 7:30. I think we are close enough to Moose Tooth to walk.

Does that sound right?

Thanks,

You're probably right by the time you get your luggage and the drive to the Embassy and yes Moose's Tooth is right out the back door though as I warn everyone it can be a bit of a wait to get a table at Moose's Tooth.

They don't have a big bar area but you can go to the bar and order and enjoy a beverage while you wait in the waiting area.

Archived