Am I going to get sick?

CathyG

I'm not worried about being sick on the cruise ship but after some reading on here about people getting sick on the Kenai Fjords National Park tours, which we are going on, I'm a little nervous. I think I will go prepared for that and take Bonine, ginger root pills and wear acupuncture wrist bands, as someone said they did.

However, we're also going whale watching with Orca in Juneau and and F.I.S.H.E.S. in Icy Strait. Will I have to take more than Bonine, my usual tummy settler? Will either port have rough waters?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cathy

On the Kenai Fjord tour I took the precautions that you are planning and I didn't have any problems. I use Bonine when I go on the whale watches out of Juneau and have never gotten sick. I haven't been to Icy Strait so I can't help you there.

I've been on Floyd Peterson's (F.I.S.H.E.S.) whale excursion boat. It's quite small. I believe the maximum number of people he takes is six (our tour was only four of us). It was awesome. However, I must say that, because of the size of the boat, it may get quite pitchy at times.

I do believe that, with all the precautions you mentioned you'd be taking, you should be just fine. Just be sure to take the Bonine as prescribed (which, I believe, should be at least an hour before your scheduled tour). Don't wait to feel sick before taking it - by then it will be too late!

Enjoy.

Thanks everyone. For F.I.S.H.E.S. and Orca, I was only planning on taking the Bonine. Hope that's enough. Thank you for the info. We are so looking forward to this trip. We've been on 17 cruises but this is the first time to Alaska. The only time I ever got sick was on a tender in Cozumel. That was awful and I sure don't want to experience that again.

Cathy

Kenai Fjords tour was rough the day we were on it so I would do as you plan. Orca Whale watch was very smooth so you may not need as much precaution. I used only the sea bands on both and I was fine, even with the rough conditions. Also, Kenai Fjords was rough when we were in open waters only.

have you ever tried meclizine it is one of the oldest drugs but it works the best I used to work in a pharmacy and this is what we told everyone to take if they get sea sick it is harder to find but if you do some seaching it will save you some money we used to tell people to take before bed the night before they needed it and I have talk to lots of people who have done this and it work. good luck

Archived