How to Get a "Teen Count" before Booking; Also Royal vs. Princess

We are planning a multi-generational family vacation for the week of 11/15/09 (the week before Thanksgiving week). We will have three senior citizens and three teens with us. We are most likely going to book one of these 3 options:

-- Adventure out of San Juan

-- Liberty out of Miami

-- Caribbean Princess out of San Juan

First question: We would REALLY like to get a rough figure for how many teens are currently booked on these Royal sailings. The Princess people told us the precise figures in about 3 seconds. The Royal reservations people, in contrast, say that their system doesn't show this info. I have got to believe that this information is available to someone. At some point, the ship needs the info to plan staffing, how many 100s of pepperoni pizzas to pack, etc. Can anyone suggest whom to call, what to ask, etc?

Second question: We've been on Royal Voyager-class ships three times, and have enjoyed ourselves every time, but wouldn't mind a new wrinkle if it's a good wrinkle. We're a pretty calm family group. We enjoy the on-ship activities and shows. We love having a fun family dinner. We're non-drinkers and non-smokers. How different is Princess from Royal for people like us? How teen-friendly is Princess?

Thanks for your perspectives and advice.

Matt from Raleigh

.....We would REALLY like to get a rough figure for how many teens are currently booked on these Royal sailings. The Princess people told us the precise figures in about 3 seconds. The Royal reservations people, in contrast, say that their system doesn't show this info.......Can anyone suggest whom to call, what to ask, etc?....

Good question although if RCCL reservations people told you they don't have this info easily available, I can't see how else you could get it.

.....Second question: We've been on Royal Voyager-class ships three times, and have enjoyed ourselves every time, but wouldn't mind a new wrinkle if it's a good wrinkle.......How different is Princess from Royal for people like us? How teen-friendly is Princess?.....

Although Caribbean Princess is also known as multi-generation friendly and kid friendly, I do not know if it has features like ice skating and if your teens make use of those things. Also, in general, the chances are that there will be more teens on a "main stream" cruise line like RCCL than Princess. I'd say try Princess if you are the adventurous type. But if you are one of those that does not like to mess with a tried and tested formula, then stay with Royal. Make sure you post this question on Princess forum also for a balanced view.

We've sailed both Adventure and the Caribbean Princess. While we liked our Princess cruise very much, and have another one booked on the same ship, it wasn't quite as "active" for teens and adults as RCI ships. There's no doubt you'll have a wonderful cruise on either ship, though.

I have been on the CP .Nice boat good teen program,but I would go with the Liberty

RCL has the best teen programs. Also I would go one week latter, you will have more teens Thanksgiving week. By the way in your part of the country is it easy to take teens out of High School and not miss alot of school work?

I have been on the CP .Nice boat good teen program,but I would go with the Liberty

RCL has the best teen programs. Also I would go one week latter, you will have more teens Thanksgiving week. By the way in your part of the country is it easy to take teens out of High School and not miss alot of school work?

Our kids' school has a two-week break during those weeks. Here in Raleigh, moreover, a lot of kids go to year-round school. Those schools have 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off.

Does Liberty have significantly more for the teens than Adventure does, other than the FlowRider?

Additional thoughts welcome.

We have done both Princess and RC and hands down the best for kids/teens is RC. Princess may state they are "family friendly" but the kids/teen areas are tiny and boring (despite what their website/photos show). RC has large clean and more importantly FUN areas. We just returned from Liberty in May and my teen son (14) had the time of his life. We previously have sailed on Navigator of the Seas and Loved it but the addition of the Flowrider (so fun for all ages!!!!!) is great, but I do strongly suggest that if you have kids, please for their sake, book with RC and we loved the Liberty....she is a wonderful ship...please don't do Princess with kids..been there, the kids are bored!

Liberty has to be the best choice. Much nicer, newer ship. And the deal breaker is flying to Miami instead of San Juan. Cruising on most any ship is always fun. The downside is the air transport. A bad first day and bad last day can really take a lot away from a wonderful cruise vacation. Fly to Miami, not PR.

Have fun on your cruise!

Rick and Deirdra

Our kids' school has a two-week break during those weeks. Here in Raleigh, moreover, a lot of kids go to year-round school. Those schools have 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off.

Does Liberty have significantly more for the teens than Adventure does, other than the FlowRider?

Additional thoughts welcome.

Liberty will blow Adventure away....Freedom class ship verse Voyager class not to mention Liberty is 6 years newer. I have also heard many complaining posts from people sailing out of SJ.

That info is not available until you are actually onboard. Sorry but the bookings are very fluid with people booking and canceling so they do not keep those stats.

Well the same is true with Princess is it not? IINM, he wants some indication of the relative numbers of teens traveling one ship vs the other on specific dates. His teens would prefer if they had 30 other teens to hang out with rather than 2. All subject to change I know!

Our teens LOVED the Liberty! As did the parents. Rock climbing, ice skating, mini golf, the flowrider was so fun to watch. There were good teen activities also and we went in the off season. There were maybe 50 teens onboard so the kids had a great time. Our friends enjoyed that ship so much they went on it again a year later with their grandkids.

Lots of great spots for adults too, you won't be sorry booking the Liberty.

Bev

Archived