Winter Coat Needed?

luvtacruise27

Wondering if someone can tell me if we will need winter coats on the Four Glacier Adventure via Helicopter tour? We are going mid August and was hoping that layers (thermal/fleece/rain jacket) would be enough so I don't have to take up so much room with coats. Figured I would pack gloves/ear coverings, boots. Really could use some help on this. I have no idea how cold it gets on glacier but I don't think we are outside too long?:confused:

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Marilyn

Instead of a winter coat which takes up way too much room take long underwear - since you don't know what the weather will be - the motto is dress in layers and be prepared. Long underwear is light - takes up no room at all. You do need the rain gear and the hat and gloves. I wear hiking pants from LL Bean (lots of other places sell them) that zip off into shorts and are quick dry -and their hiking long sleeve shirt that I can roll up to make into a short sleeve shirt. They make men's and women's. These are both UV protected if it isn't raining out. We wore regular hiking boots with crampons for the glaciers. With regular boots you will slip and slide all over the place if you are doing any serious walking on the glacier. If you are just getting out and not really walking around than any water proof shoe/boot will do.

Instead of a winter coat which takes up way too much room take long underwear - since you don't know what the weather will be - the motto is dress in layers and be prepared. Long underwear is light - takes up no room at all. You do need the rain gear and the hat and gloves. I wear hiking pants from LL Bean (lots of other places sell them) that zip off into shorts and are quick dry -and their hiking long sleeve shirt that I can roll up to make into a short sleeve shirt. They make men's and women's. These are both UV protected if it isn't raining out. We wore regular hiking boots with crampons for the glaciers. With regular boots you will slip and slide all over the place if you are doing any serious walking on the glacier. If you are just getting out and not really walking around than any water proof shoe/boot will do.

thanks, tupper.

feel better now that i know i won't have to pack the big coats. we will be walking on the glacier and it said they give you spikes to attach to your boots. just ordered LLBean boots for DD, fit her great. Will look into the hiking pants/shirts.

thanks, again.

marilyn

I've been to Alaska 5 times and never take more than a good windbreaker, fleece, and turtleneck Ts, and I've never been cold. That said, I do have a warm internal furnace! I think glacier walk was jeans and the 3 tops cited. Possibly a muffler.

When we went in late May/early June this year, I was so glad that I didn't have a heavy coat. With layers, I was able to wear as much or as little as I needed. At Hubbard Glacier, I needed my fleece jacket with a rain coat over it. At the other ports, I just wore a regular long-sleeved shirt.

Thin long underwear that breathes is wonderful because it doesn't get too hot, but it keeps you warm if the weather is colder.

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I will forego the coat and do layers. I'm hoping the weather in August will be somewhat warm and hopefully rain free ;)!

marilyn

P.S. Does anyone know if pool water is really cold on Alaska cruises?

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I will forego the coat and do layers. I'm hoping the weather in August will be somewhat warm and hopefully rain free ;)!

marilyn

P.S. Does anyone know if pool water is really cold on Alaska cruises?

Don't plan for rain-free, my research shows it rains many inches in August.

Yes, they heat the pools. Researched that too.

I think I need to dig out my long underwear and get some for my DD. I'm also glad to hear we don't have to pack space hogging winter coats.

It really is up to you, and how you handle the cold weather.

Our first trip was in May, and we did just the Inside Passage. I wore my full length, fur lined rain coat, and was glad I had it.

For our second trip in August, we did a cruisetour to Interior Alaska and the Yukon. I chose a fleece lined ski parka. Again I wore it, and my long underwear everyday. The temps were in the 30's and 40's at night, and 50's and 69's during the day. When you can see your breath, it's a little colder than I want to be without a coat.

I live in Southern California and wear a "winter coat" here, so there was no way I was going to Alaska without one. I would have been miserable, had I been cold with no coat.

Guess you could always purchase one there, if you find you need one.

Have a great trip!

Hi,:) I don't even own a winter coat so have never brought

one to Alaska.;)

I am going in Sept for the 3rd time and I agree with the layering

concept. I love long sleeves and sweaters. (Maybe because this

weekend it will be 100 here:eek: and I wish it was cooler?) LOL

I have a fleece jacket by Columbia and it has worked great

for both previous sailings.

And the best part, I got it on a BIG SALE at Kohl's for something

like 17 bucks:D

When people say it was freezing on the glaciers, what exactly do they mean? 50 degrees? 40 degrees? Was there anyway to tell the temperature? We are from Boston, used to the cold and can handle those kinds of temps w/ a sweatshirt and layering. But most of the videos I have seen of the glacier walks/dog sledding didn't show people's breath so I suspect it was in the high 40-low 50 degree range. True?

don't know what the temperature was but it was cold when you were outside on the dek when the ship was moving towards the glacier. If the sun is out and the ship is stopped at the glacier it really got warmer. My 20+ year old daughter was really bundled up in layers plus scarf and hood of her lands end squall parka but when the ship stopped at Hubbard glacier she peeled down to her tank top, but then when it started moving again back on go the layers. The wind is pretty cold. We were there in June, 2005.

We are going in July 2010 (Inside Passage). We are from Phoenix and wear winter coats when the winter visitors are out by the pool. I am not crazy about packing my winter coat, though. I like the long winter underwear idea and will think layers! We have a balcony and we want to be able to enjoy it.:)

I'm more confused now than ever!:confused: Do I bring a coat; do I not. I tend to run on the cold side. Maybe I should just roll up my old lightweight winter one and find room for it somewhere:rolleyes:. Oh well, thanks everyone for your answers. Please keep them coming. I am very curious, though as to just how cold is it on the glacier???

marilyn

Archived