Carnival Legend HC cabin

katgar

Has anyone had a handicap cabin on the Legend? We are going in March and have cabin 5238 7A category, convenient to the elevator. We have a scooter booked, which has a 3-foot charging cord. It is recommended to bring an extension cord, which does not make my SO happy! He feels if we are renting equipment, it should be COMPLETELY ready to be used properly. The guest services can't tell me the specific layout of the cabin, and also suggest bringing the extension cord. (I don't feel it's a big deal) Just wondering if anyone knew if an outlet was accessible to charge the scooter.

I'm aware of the ship layout, and enjoyed this past March on her. I'm glad I was able to convince my SO to go! We were on a cruise before he had the back problems, and felt I wouldn't enjoy myself with him in the w/c for distances.

Kathy

I always take a four outlet extension cord on all my cruises, even if we don't take our power wheelchair and charger. Most cabins have 1 outlet in the bathroom and one in the bedroom and that is it. If you want to use your own hair dryer, charge batteries for your digital camera or PDA, use a curling iron, etc. you are stuck without one. I also take two night lights (one for the bathroom, the other on the extension cord at the bedroom vanity area). This makes night-time bathroom trips much safer for all of us.

• 1 month later...

I had sailed on the Legend several times with my Mother who was wheelchair bound. Since her passing I have really come to realize how much of a blessing an accessible cabin was for us. All 3 times we sailed the Carnival Legend we were in cabin 8234 (CAT 8i). The cabin worked out very well for us, most importanly, made her fell very comfortable.

If I recall correctly, there were outlets on the desk area use. When you entered the cabin, the beds were immediately to the right while the huge bathroom was to the left. the closet and balcony door were just past the bathroom on the left wall. The balcony had a portable ramp that was very easy to move. The balcony was huge, I'd say it was 8 foot wide by 25 foot long. These accessible balconies are the largest on the ship. there was a table and 2 chairs against the wall( from the entrance door it was directly straight ahead) and to the right of that was the desk and drawer area. The room was very easy to get around.

I must say the crew was extremely helpfull on the ship. The ship itself is very easy to navigate with a wheelchair/scooter and almost every area was accessible.

Of all the ships I took my Mom on, the Legend was her favorite because she was most comfortable knowing she could enjoy the ship. She loved the balcony and the memories I have of us sitting on it watching the sea go by are priceless.

I hope this helps.

I had sailed on the Legend several times with my Mother who was wheelchair bound. Since her passing I have really come to realize how much of a blessing an accessible cabin was for us. All 3 times we sailed the Carnival Legend we were in cabin 8234 (CAT 8i).

We are in 5238, which is the handicap cabin in the same place as yours was!

I've been on the Legend before, so I know how great the crew can be and how easy to navigate. Last year I was taken from the infirmary to room in w/c, and had no problems in the halls.

I think the extended balconies are the same size as the cat.11 that I was in last year. There was a lounge chair, table and three regular chairs.

It sounds like it will be quite easy to park the scooter near the desk for re-charging!

• 1 month later...
The balcony had a portable ramp that was very easy to move. The balcony was huge, I'd say it was 8 foot wide by 25 foot long. These accessible balconies are the largest on the ship.

I've been on that ship twice and both times in 8234. Nice balcony but the ramp is impossible to get over for a wheelchair user without a lot of help. In a depth of about 8 inches it has a 60% or more grade to it. I've been in the same type of cabin on the Norwegian Sun on the 8th deck and the ramp was barely 2 inches tall because they have sliding glass doors. The Legend's door lip must be a good 8 to 10 inches tall. Has this changed since October of 2003?

Regarding the balcony, we don't have to worry, as Gary can walk within the room, it's for longer distances that he needs the chair. thanks for the info!

Are the doors hard to open if the w/c person is by themselves? If they are like regular cabin doors, I know they will be. I was thinking of bringing a door stopper. If he was by himself, he could open the door, wedge the stopper in, get out in the hallway with the scooter, then go remove the stopper.

Are the doors hard to open if the w/c person is by themselves? If they are like regular cabin doors, I know they will be. I was thinking of bringing a door stopper. If he was by himself, he could open the door, wedge the stopper in, get out in the hallway with the scooter, then go remove the stopper.

I just double checked my memory with the DH's and yes, the door is as heavy as the other cabins' our friends were in. I remember that it was hard to get out alone because as you leave the cabin there is a nightstand immediately to the left of the door handle side of the door. Hard to pull the door all the way open and then go through. I mean with wheelchairs it is much eaiser if you can go around the door when it is partially open. The rest of the cabin is very spacious and I LOVE the long handled squeegy in the bathroom so you can eliminate most water even if you drown the whole room for safer transfers.

NorthernLite,

We'll definitely bring the stopper. Part of the reason we got the scooter, is so Gary would have freedom,and he didn't want me to have to push him everywhere. He has nerve damage in his hands, and no longer has the strength to wheel himself much. For most things we'll be together, but on the ship we can be together, without him feeling like he's a burden.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update for everyone. Our hc cabin was exactly as MILEMRKR63 described. In front of the bed was the vanity/desk combo, and the scooter was parked there, with just enough space to get to the other side of the bed, and the outlet was right there. we also had 2 armschirs and a table. We folded the w/c at night and put it along the bathroom wall in front of the closet and were still able to get out to the balcony. We also had a door stopper, check the nightstand! If Gary was by himself, he opened the door, drove out, the picked up the stopper! we could easily turn the scooter or w/c in a complete circle. The Balcony seemed longer than the cat. 11 suite by one panel. It did not have a ramp, but we knew we could get one. Gary did "bottom" out a couple of times over the ramps to the deck on deck 10, but crew and other passengers helped both times, was a lot easier if he was in the w/c. The only other things were that during the dinner/show times, some areas were very crowded and it seemed easier during those times to use the w/c not scooter, so next time we may not even bother with the scooter. Most times we were together anyhow!

• 1 year later...
Guest teach53

We have a 5/27/07 cruise planned and will be in cabin 5238 because of the use of a wheelchair. My question, from the deck plan it looks like the deck is very long? Also, what is the view like, looking over or into tenders?

We are excited to take our cruise, hope yours was fun.

Thanks for the info.

Karen:)

We have sailed twice on the Pride and Miracle which are sister ships to the Legend with the exact same floor plans. The cabin is a good size and well laid out. The deal about the extension cord is really for your convenience. We always bring a 4-way plug with an 8 foot cord. Since both of us have electric scooters, it just makes it easier to charge your scooter or chair without having to back it up to the outlet. Plus the four way lets you plug in various other items.

The bathrooms are great. Husband is an amputee and the rails and fold down bench are very well designed and laid out. The one thing that we did need was extra towels. When the ship is moving some times the water tends to roll a bit around the floor. Since my husband used forearm crutches to enter and exit the bathroom, the wet floors could be a disaster for him. We just laid down the towels so he could move safely from the shower, to the sink and back out into the room.

By the way, the view from the extended balcony cabin was great, the life boats didn't cause any problems.

Hope your enjoy your cruise, we had an excellent time and the staff couldn't have been more helpful!

Archived