Zuiderdam SY 5001

luvcruisn'

Anyone sailed in this cabin? Have just booked an Alaskan cruise, but the only SY left that would sleep 3 for my sister-in-law's family is handicapped accessible cabin SY 5001. My sister-in-law prefers baths to showers, but there only seems to be a shower in this cabin. A VE that sleeps 3 is more expensive, and less room, but it has a bathtub. There's a special call-in promo on right now for past mariners, but it's only on some cabin types. The call-in promo has a better rate than HAL's three day sale.

Will my sister-in-law be really unhappy in this cabin? I'm the person who does all of the bookings for our three families travelling together.

Is the cruise scheduled for '09, or '10? I'm asking as you said it's an accessible cabin, but you did not indicate that anyone in the party needs the special cabin.

If the cruise is in '09, then any person who would need a handicap cabin has probably already booked. Since time is short that would be all right. But, if the cruise is in '10, then a handicap cabin should not be booked unless someone in the party needs it.

I realize this wasn't your question, but you need to know that if the handicap cabin is taken out of inventory, then someone who needs it may not be able to sail.

Will my sister-in-law be really unhappy in this cabin? I'm the person who does all of the bookings for our three families travelling together.

Depends how fussy she is and if she could just deal with taking showers while on the cruise.

Superior veranda suites are nice rooms, we had one on the Westerdam. But ours had both a whirlpool tub and a separate shower stall.

RuthC: The cruise is in '09. It is the only cabin available that HAL would give me that sleeps 3 people in that category, which is on a sale right now. Since I took that cabin, the category is now only on a guarantee, which will only sleep 2 people.

We had 5001 on the Noordam. DH is in a wheelchair, which is why we booked it.

If it is identical to the one on the Zuiderdam, here is what you can expect: There is a tub, it's just not a whirlpool tub as in standard SY cabins. There is a roll-in shower which is across from the toilet.

There is only one sink in the bathroom, not two like in standard SYs. The sink area is much smaller -- more like the sink area in a VA.

The balcony is very small -- more like the balcony in a VA. No room for a table and chairs for dining. Just the standard two chairs you get on a VA balcony with a tiny table.

In fact, I was not happy paying an SY price for a cabin that wasn't much better [to us] than a VA. Yes, there is extra floor room -- but it's right when you walk in, between the closets and the bathroom door. Unusable space, pretty much.

For DH or anyone needing a wheelchair, the extra space was in the wrong place.

Thanks very much, Oceanwench. The person I spoke with at HAL said that there was no bathtub in this cabin on the Zuiderdam, only the shower. I am now thinking of booking a VF guarantee for my brother and sister-in-law, and an H cabin for my nephew. The pricing for the 2 cabins is actually a little less than the one SY, and my sister-in-law would get the bathtub she wants.

Thanks very much' date=' Oceanwench. The person I spoke with at HAL said that there was no bathtub in this cabin on the Zuiderdam, only the shower. I am now thinking of booking a VF guarantee for my brother and sister-in-law, and an H cabin for my nephew. The pricing for the 2 cabins is actually a little less than the one SY, and my sister-in-law would get the bathtub she wants.[/quote']

While a VF guarantee may sound good ... keep in mind that thee are some staterooms in the VD, VC, and VB categories that are shower only. With a guarantee, your in-laws just might end up in one of those if they are moved up from VF. Further, the VF cabins on the forward Upper Promenade deck have solid steel rather than plexiglas verandah railings.

Thanks for everyone's input. I booked a VF guarantee for my brother and sister-in-law, as they really wanted a verandah. Hopefully, they'll get their bathtub. If not, they can pop into one of the H Guarantee cabins that I have also booked.

Archived