Alaska - Pearl or Star?

Hi all,

Trying to decide which one I should go with for next year not sure which month but so far I think the preference goes in this order July,August,June,May. I will have been on the Pearl twice by then so was thinking I would like to try the Star. But not sure... as it doesn't seem quite as popular as the Pearl and the Pearl goes to Glacier Bay and the Star doesn't. From what I have read so far Glacier Bay is preferable. But back to the other hand of wanting to try a new ship... Please give me your opinions.:confused::D

I am trying to decide on the Star or the Pearl for next summer as well. If anyone has done both to Alaska, I would love to hear your preference.

Thank you in advance.

Hi, Jim. We have cruised to Alaska on NCL 7 times--3 times with the Tracy Arm Fjord/Sawyer Glacier itinerary (Sky, Spirit & Star) & 4 times with the Glacier Bay itinerary (2 times on the Star & 2 times on the Pearl).

Our personal preference is the Glacier Bay itinerary and we have booked the Pearl again for next year.:D The day of cruising Glacier Bay is a relaxing day full of glaciers & beautiful scenery.

If you look at the port times, the Pearl does spend 1 1/2 hours longer in Juneau and 2 hours longer in Skagway; however the Star spends 1/2 longer in Ketchikan. The Star has 2 full days at sea and most of another day and the Pearl has 1 full day at sea and most of another.

The Star is usually less expensive but you do need to factor in the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer as a must excursion, adding to the expense of your cruise.

However, so far this year, the Star has been cruising up the more scenic east side of Vancouver Island where the Pearl has been cruising up the west side where you "can" encounter rougher seas.

Hope this helped a little! Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to help!:)

Hi, Jim. We have cruised to Alaska on NCL 7 times--3 times with the Tracy Arm Fjord/Sawyer Glacier itinerary (Sky, Spirit & Star) & 4 times with the Glacier Bay itinerary (2 times on the Star & 2 times on the Pearl).

Our personal preference is the Glacier Bay itinerary and we have booked the Pearl again for next year.:D The day of cruising Glacier Bay is a relaxing day full of glaciers & beautiful scenery.

If you look at the port times, the Pearl does spend 1 1/2 hours longer in Juneau and 2 hours longer in Skagway; however the Star spends 1/2 longer in Ketchikan. The Star has 2 full days at sea and most of another day and the Pearl has 1 full day at sea and most of another.

The Star is usually less expensive but you do need to factor in the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer as a must excursion, adding to the expense of your cruise.

However, so far this year, the Star has been cruising up the more scenic east side of Vancouver Island where the Pearl has been cruising up the west side where you "can" encounter rougher seas.

Hope this helped a little! Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to help!:)

Thank you Sandy. Wow, 7 times to Alaska. That is definitely an endorsement! This does help. We were really interested in the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion and we have heard so much about that experience :). Do both ships offer this one?

There is a big difference in price between the Pearl and the Star for an AB. We will have our kids with us and the AB has been the best cabin for us in the past and hope to be in one again.

It seems like the big difference is Glacier Bay, which the Pearl does and the Star does not.

I will keep exploring the options and I will connect back with more questions.

We have been on both ships and liked them both. We chose the Star this time because of it's itinerary, she is sailing up the inside passage and will be stopping in Prince Rupert and we haven't been to either. I think you will enjoy either ship.

Thank you Sandy. Wow, 7 times to Alaska. That is definitely an endorsement! This does help. We were really interested in the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion and we have heard so much about that experience :). Do both ships offer this one?

There is a big difference in price between the Pearl and the Star for an AB. We will have our kids with us and the AB has been the best cabin for us in the past and hope to be in one again.

It seems like the big difference is Glacier Bay, which the Pearl does and the Star does not.

I will keep exploring the options and I will connect back with more questions.

Yes, Jim, we have found Alaska to be very addictive!;) Once is not enough and when you go the "suite" route, even twice or three times isn't enough.

Sorry but the Pearl does not go to Tracy Arm Fjord and therefore doesn't offer the excursion.

Both ships are great and no matter which one you choose, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise!:)

Can someone help me find how to get on the Glacier Explorer? Looking at the NCLs web site, I don't find this as an excursion...

Thanks for help.

Can someone help me find how to get on the Glacier Explorer? Looking at the NCLs web site, I don't find this as an excursion...

Thanks for help.

If you choose to go on the Star like we did in May, all you have to do is call and request the Tracy Arm Fjords excursion out of Juneau. It wasn't posted at the time on the website but it was available. It is a great excursion!

Glacier Bay would get my vote. Watching the calving of the glaciers is AMAZING!!

The other glaciers calve too! :p

We have only been on the Star (twice) and just recently took the excursion to Dawes Glacier up Endicott Arm....it was awesome! We saw 5-6 calvings and a shooter! Lots of seals, several whales, some otters, and of course bald eagles!

The senior staff and crew of the Star are incredibly friendly, very helpful....just a really great great group! Wonderful Capt. Lars is friendly and informative!

Oh, and make sure you get all the discounts you're eligible for--union discount? military discount? With the military discount we saved around $600 on our AB Suite. The earlier you book, the greater the discount. And you don't have to be active military or retired military -- just have a DD214 showing you have served your country.:)

Oh, and make sure you get all the discounts you're eligible for--union discount? military discount? With the military discount we saved around $600 on our AB Suite. The earlier you book, the greater the discount. And you don't have to be active military or retired military -- just have a DD214 showing you have served your country.:)

I do make sure that I get the union discount since my union is eligible. My sister is my TA so I am constantly bugging her for the right time to book :D. I drive her crazy with any and all promotions that come up.

I am leaning towards the Star at this moment. We have been on the Dawn twice and loved the ship.

Archived