My review of the Holiday Inn Port of Miami

klfrodo

My family is staying at HI-POM at the end of the month before a cruise but I don't understand why we are paying $112.

No offense, but I can't believe someone would complain about that price. It's the closest hotel to the POM and even though I'm not a fan, I think that price is outstanding.

Is the $112 including the 12% hotel tax? $112 is not bad.

Prices change day to day. A month ago when I started looking the HI-POM was $130 before taxes. Prices came down recently. I also Pre-paid, so it's non-refundable. There are so many variables to hotels rate, just like cruise rates. Check your dates again. If the price went down, they may credit you. If it didn't, It is what it is.

BTW, We are staying a Thursday night for a Friday departure. Fri and Sat night stays are normally more for weekend cruise departures.

My family is staying at HI-POM at the end of the month before a cruise but I don't understand why we are paying $112. Another person on cruise critic said they got a room for under $100 like you did. How did you do it? I'd try priceline but I don't like taking risks with my parents going on this cruise. Let us know how it works with 5 people in one room too after you return because we are looking for a room holding 5 people also.

You got a great rate for the hotel. Are you actually complaining?:eek: You ARE looking at Miami!

You cannot use priceline for a room for five. PL only guarantees the room will hold two people. You could request from the hotel directly that you want two double beds, but you may not even get that after booking thru PL. Only use PL if you are a party of two if you want to be comfortable.

You need to look at rates at hotels for the exact date you need them. Not the rates that someone else gets for different dates. Compare apples to apples. Your room would be $175 during peak season.

How will a room be?? 5 adults in one room will be crowded and sharing the bathroom will be...well I wouldn't choose to. But that's me;)

You got a great rate for the hotel. Are you actually complaining?:eek: You ARE looking at Miami!

You cannot use priceline for a room for five. PL only guarantees the room will hold two people. You could request from the hotel directly that you want two double beds, but you may not even get that after booking thru PL. Only use PL if you are a party of two if you want to be comfortable.

You need to look at rates at hotels for the exact date you need them. Not the rates that someone else gets for different dates. Compare apples to apples. Your room would be $175 during peak season.

How will a room be?? 5 adults in one room will be crowded and sharing the bathroom will be...well I wouldn't choose to. But that's me;)

Sorry everyone didn't mean to sound like I was complaining just was surprised others only paid under $100 for a room there and I'm just learning about hotel stays before cruising from you all.:) Our family of 9 is staying in 3 rooms. I wouldn't mind 5 in a room to save money but others would rather have seperate rooms & that's OK with me too. We booked room for $112 without taxes and no cancelations aloud. I'll wait to use priceline when my DH and I go by ourselves and learn more about it first from cruise critic.

I stayed at HI-POM in May of 2007

My Likes: The proximity to port, the ability to see my ship in port, the let us check in at 5am, Bayside Marketplace.

My dislikes: The smell of urine in front of the hotel, the guy sleeping in front of the hotel, no doorman, checking out of the hotel( it took 45 minutes to catch an elevator).

All in all, the proximity to the port was the best benefit, but I will be staying at another hotel on my next trip. JMHO:)

I think if someone is unfamiliar with the area, the HI and other downtown hotels are okay for a night.

However after cruising out of MIA several times, we have learned from experience and basic knowledge of the different Miami areas, that there are other places in the vicinity that we are happier with...especially if there for more than a night's sleep.

Being able to see a line of ships isn't a thrill for me, but for first time cruisers, the sight can be exciting and maybe worth it to them to stay at the HI. As is Bayside Mall for many. I don't think the OP was off on his comments. This is a subjective post and take everything as such.

eandj,

Where would you stay or what area would you be looking to stay if you were cruising in January? I booked near airport, but can cancel and rebook elsewhere, we have never stayed the night in Miami.Thanks.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with OP. , but the location was perfect. It was fine for a place to sleep . The area anywhere other than bayside was horrible

A negative for us also is the busy street out front and constant sirens, motorcycle noise all night long and we were on upper floor.

They had an outdoor Reggae festival, music bumped til midnight but I thought it was cool

But so wonderful to open those morning drapes and see SHIPS !

A annoyance for me were the table hogs. The breakfast area tables were filled with fellow cruisers killing time taking up tables after they had finished eating waiting to go to port. Hard to find a table. loud , rude, table hopping etc. After breakfast it was nice hotel kept bags we walked over to Bayside shopped a couple hours, took cab to ship, went to Windjammer. Yep, table hogs ! taking uptables killing time after they had finished eating waiting . Hard to find a table. loud , rude, table hopping etc. waiting for rooms to open up. Argh !

We use our Priority club points so trying somewhere else in January . but would stay here again just for the convience of the Market and ship.

I picked the HI-POM mainly for the location. We were cruising with our granddaughters and our daughter who had never cruised. Seeing their faces when they looked out the window and saw the ships was worth whatever they charged. I had requested two rooms next to each other, on a high floor facing the port (not too choosy am I?) and they were able to honor all my requests. In my book that makes them a special place. I am not surprised that the economic climate has had an affect on them....it has affected all of us. Hopefully things will pick up and their service will return to what we experienced.

Miami has such a plethora of super lux hotels that even the moderate hotels are nicer than moderate hotels in other cities. Downtown is desolate, crime ridden, and Bayside is in bankruptcy.

I'll never understand the 'thrill' of seeing the cruise ships in port. Dodge Island isn't attractive. I'd rather sit on the beach in South Beach and watch them leave in the evening.

Thanks all for your reviews of this hotel.

I would rather pay a little more and not be subject to some of the things said here. Its vacation and I don't want to leave a hotel saying, for $50 more dollars I could have stayed somewhere really nice.:) JMHO

Thanks all for your reviews of this hotel.

I would rather pay a little more and not be subject to some of the things said here. Its vacation and I don't want to leave a hotel saying, for $50 more dollars I could have stayed somewhere really nice.:) JMHO

Good choice. Glad we could help

Ok.... thankfully I have a fully refundable reservation at the HI POM....

Please...offer up some alternatives to this hotel. We are here for two nights... coming in on friday Feb. 26th and boarding Glory Sunday Feb. 28th. Then headed home on March 7th which is the day Glory comes back into Miami.

I am willing to spend up to $200 a night... but would prefer not to..LOL

Thank you

Jen

My husband and I stayed there before our honeymoon cruise. Not the "ideal" place to spend my wedding night, but whatever, we got in around midnight and checked out early in the morning, so it was fine for a few hours.

One funny thing...the bathroom was so small that if the toilet seat was down, the door wouldn't open all the way. LOL! With the seat up, it barely grazed by. We found that amusing, but anymore than a quick overnight stay (in our case, about 8-9 hours), I would have been angry.

Ok.... thankfully I have a fully refundable reservation at the HI POM....

Please...offer up some alternatives to this hotel. We are here for two nights... coming in on friday Feb. 26th and boarding Glory Sunday Feb. 28th. Then headed home on March 7th which is the day Glory comes back into Miami.

I am willing to spend up to $200 a night... but would prefer not to..LOL

Thank you

Jen

I haven't stayed there yet but the Intercontental will most likely be my next stay. (If not down on South Beach)

The Intercontental is still within walking distance to Bayside, but appears to be more upscale and ALOT more secure.

Course the price is a bit higher.

I would also look at the Hyatt

Archived