Arrival times in Ports

GeorgiaGuys

Looking at the port times on Royal Caribbean's website, are all the times Pacific or do they adjust to the local port time. The arrival times are 9:30 for Cabo and 8 for Mazatlan and PV. Trying to figure out if that is local times or if I need to adjust for the difference in time from LA.

Also, if I am looking at scheduling excursions on my own, how much time should I allow after the arrival time before the start of the excursion?

thanks.

Usually with RCI the times posted on their website are ship time, not local time. We are sailing on the Mariner, you didn't mention which you are on, and after some research have found out that the ship changes time 1 hour prior to Cabo so ship time and local time are the same. In Mazatlan again the 2 times are ship. However, in Puerto Vallarta ship time is one hour behind local time so if the RCI website says dock at 8 am, it is 9 am local time.

There are a number of websites that you can put in the different cities and it will tell you the comparative times. Don't have the link on this computer or would add here. If you post the ship and time you are sailing you will most likely get firmer responses from those that have sailed that itinerary.

We are on the Mariner of the Seas. According to the RC website, we arrive in PV at 8:00 so that means 9 local time. Would I be taking a huge risk if I booked a 9:30 excursion on my own?

I wouldn't do it -- what if you get stuck in a long line out the door?! If it were me I'd go for a 10 a.m. excursion just to make it less stressful... well, unless the operator will pick you up right near the ship.

I'll be there on the 7/5 sailing myself! Have no Cabo plans yet, though.

~gigi

We are on the Mariner of the Seas. According to the RC website, we arrive in PV at 8:00 so that means 9 local time. Would I be taking a huge risk if I booked a 9:30 excursion on my own?

I would say that is cutting it too close. Most of the independent vendors want you there 15 - 20 minutes prior to the actual start time of the excursion, and if any travel time is needed to get to their location that needs to be figured in as well.

Any reputable vendor will be able to tell you if you can make a specific time or not, or tell you which you should sign up for. Let them know what ship you are coming in on and they should be able to help you.

Looking at the port times on Royal Caribbean's website, are all the times Pacific or do they adjust to the local port time. The arrival times are 9:30 for Cabo and 8 for Mazatlan and PV. Trying to figure out if that is local times or if I need to adjust for the difference in time from LA.

Also, if I am looking at scheduling excursions on my own, how much time should I allow after the arrival time before the start of the excursion?

thanks.

Georgiaguys –

Your question comes up quite often.

Just about everybody will agree that, on a standard 7-day MR cruise, the ship will adjust its clocks forward once while headed south (to match Mountain time) and back (to match Pacific time) near the end of the cruise while headed north along the Baja coast. “Ship’s time” will match local time in Cabo & Mazatlan and will be one hour behind local time in Puerto Vallarta.

The published itinerary arrival and departure times in Puerto Vallarta are often debated. It has been my experience, watching ships come and go over the years, that the published arrival times are local time for whatever port you happen to be at. If you ship is scheduled to be in Vallarta at 8 AM, it will be at the dock at or before 8 AM local time (7 AM ship’s time). Some will claim otherwise but I have yet to see anybody post, after their cruise, exactly when they did arrive in Vallarta.

Here is the key thing to keep in mind when booking independent excursions … Never book with or through an agency (tour operator) that doesn’t offer a full refund if the ship is either late or misses the port completely for some reason. Their livelihood is based on matching tourist with tours. They know when your ship is scheduled to arrive and they should not sell you excursion tickets if your arrival time is too late to make the excursion departure time. Tell the tour broker/operator that you are arriving on the Mariner of the Seas and ask if you will be able to make their 9:30 excursion.

As for your last question, it can take 30-45 minutes to get off the ship once it has been "cleared" by local authorities. It can take quite a bit longer for Cabo as that is a tender port and sea conditions can have an effect on how fast they can load/unload passengers in the tenders.

Enjoy!

From a compass off an April 09 sailing on the Mariner

TIME REMINDER

The time in Puerto Vallarta is one hour ahead of ship's time.

Please stay on ship's time for the entire cruise vacation.

Arrival 8:00 am (Ship's time)

On Board 6:30 pm (Ship's time)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived