Tamaflu- just a call away

beyoung

I called our family doctor and explained to him that we have spent a great deal of money (at least for our family) on our upcomming trip and with an international flight for ten hours (hubby won't let me wear a mask says I will look like a germaphobe- not sure I would really do it anyhow) and several new cases of the virus showing up in our area I started thinking it would not be a bad idea to have this stuff on hand. Well it was easy as pie, I called him, he called the pharmacy and now I have three RX's (one for each of us - just in case)

Thought people might want to know it is pretty easy to get.

Yes, we had it on hand for our trip last month to Mexico. It's easy to get but be careful.

Misdiagnosis/self-diagnosis can be dangerous. Make sure it's the flu you are treating and not Noro, food poisoning or simple seasickness. I am not saying you are quick to jump to conclusions but doctors will prescribe medication on a case by case basis- if they think you are paranoid and will take it incorrectly they will not give it to you- if they are worth their salt....

Our doctor is very cautious. There have been ten confirmed cases in the past week in our area. My main concern was coming down with it and it would be on a weekend and I could not reach him not as much getting it while I was away as I could see the ships doctor. I know which symptoms to look for especially the cough and fever with body aches and for tamaflu to help cut the symptoms and recovery time it needs to be taken as soon as possible. Only in severe cases would there be vomiting which could be confused with the noro virus.

I would rather be prepared than be searching for it at the last minute. In fact when the cases were reported, the drugstores sold out I can't pick up ours until Monday.

... hubby won't let me wear a mask says I will look like a germaphobe- not sure I would really do it anyhow ...

After sitting across the airplane aisle from a constantly sneezing and coughing woman ... DH spent the first few days of a cruise with a cold or flu. I now have masks, and take them in my carry on every time we fly. We would not hesitate to use them to ward off that kind of infection. Who cares what people think - we'll never see them again, and it's much more important to preserve our own health.

Our doctor is very cautious. There have been ten confirmed cases in the past week in our area. My main concern was coming down with it and it would be on a weekend and I could not reach him not as much getting it while I was away as I could see the ships doctor. I know which symptoms to look for especially the cough and fever with body aches and for tamaflu to help cut the symptoms and recovery time it needs to be taken as soon as possible. Only in severe cases would there be vomiting which could be confused with the noro virus.

I would rather be prepared than be searching for it at the last minute. In fact when the cases were reported, the drugstores sold out I can't pick up ours until Monday.

I know that in Mexico I could have sold our Tamiflu and probably paid for our whole trip with the proceeds. Yes, it can be hard to find. I had a fabulous pharmacist who found me 4 packages when the Canadian gov't had just pulled it all from the shelves during the big panic. We had a tour with people from Fort Lauderdale who had no trouble getting it and on the same tour with people from Miami who would sell their soul for it.

I am saying that obviously your doctor finds you competent to know the difference but others may not be so lucky. Don't get me wrong! I am packing our Tamiflu, antibiotics,etc ( I look like a drug store- I'm sure) but many end up being discarded after expiry date. Being prepared is the BEST trip insurance I know of.

Also, if you are really worried you can take a lower dose for 10 days to maybe help ward it off. Not recommended by some, recommended by others.

Yes, I have masks too. I haven't worn them yet, but they don't take up much room!

Gmapajama- my worst was this year. I sat next to a couple (my family was in the 3 seats across the aisle) who had welts and scratched horribly! As soon as the plane departed I moved to the back. Sitting by the toilets was better than where I was. EWWWW!!!

We have 5 weeks holiday in the US and Canada this August and two of those weeks is on an Alaska cruise.

If we were at home in the UK and something happened, our doctor would prescribe Tamiflu but being so far away from home, if we were ill, would a doctor on ship (or on land) be able to write out a prescription for non-US citizens? You can't get hold of things as easily in the UK as in the US and 5 weeks is a long time to be away.

In our experience - yes, we have been able to get foreign doctor's prescriptions filled with no problem. Our medical plan is not recognized so we pay full price (and a premium for the doctor visit) and submit our expenses to the gov't when we return. Anything not covered we submit to our work plan.

This is the only trip we have purchased separate insurance- just in case.

I carry masks on planes now and wore one coming home in April as the

man in front of me coughed the whole 5 hours - we moved to the back of the plane - we didn't get his virus but I bet a lot of people on that plane did.

Another woman put her mask on too. The only comment I got was a little girl coming out of the washroom "Mommy, is she a doctor?!

There is a big controversy here about the initial over use of tamiflu for this virus. The concern has to do with mutations of this flu type and what will become their immunity to this medication.

While I understand why the OP wants full protection, it is important to be aware that if tamiflu is widely used, except where absolutely required, this flu could easily become much worse.

Also adverse behavioural reactions have been noted when this drug is used.

See here:

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2008/s2548397.htm

:confused::confused::confused:

Well it was easy as pie, I called him, he called the pharmacy and now I have three RX's (one for each of us - just in case)

Thought people might want to know it is pretty easy to get.

You have three prescriptions or drugs for three people? One time in Spain I had an American prescription and they would not fill it at a pharmacy - I had to get a new prescription from a local doctor.

I carry masks on planes now and wore one coming home in April as the

man in front of me coughed the whole 5 hours - we moved to the back of the plane - we didn't get his virus but I bet a lot of people on that plane did.

Just because one coughs, doesn't mean he has a virus. He could have a number of other causes for cough, many of which are not contagious.

Using Tamiflu when you don't have the flu is also troublesome. Tamiflu is not a vacine- it doesn't prevent the flu. It is a medication to take if you get certain types of flu and helps it pass quicker.

Tamiflu has side affects- some of which are fairly serious. There have also been information indicating taking Tamiflu when you don't have the flu can also make you resistant to the benefits of Tamiflu when you actually do have the flu.

You have three prescriptions or drugs for three people? One time in Spain I had an American prescription and they would not fill it at a pharmacy - I had to get a new prescription from a local doctor.

No our doctor gave me three Rx's (one for each of us) that I filled her in the US to have with me if I needed it. He said to take it if we come down with a fever and cough, it is a ten day dose. He said the exposure at my child's school would have manifested by now but I did not want to risk getting ill and not being able to get medication.

As for the poster who said that people like me might mutate the virus well I spent 30,000 on this trip so if I can make it so I am only sick for two of the 25 days if I came down with it than sorry I am not worried about mutating a virus. Why the heck should I not take medication if I need it? I am not taking it until/if I show symptoms.:confused::confused:

As for the poster who said that people like me might mutate the virus

If you are referring to my earlier post, it really was directed at the widespread use of tamaflu, rather than your proposed personal assessment/self diagnosis and subsequent use, so please accept my apology if I came across offensively.

Included was a link to a site discussing the perils of using that drug. I considered posting this as responsible when a discussion comes up about drugs and their use, on a widely read forum, such as this - particularly if the tone of the message is that an essential part of going on a cruise is taking along a supply of tamaflu, just in case.

Not sure what benefit there is to shooting the messenger.

Enjoy your $30,000 cruise, and hopefully you won't need the tamaflu.

:D:D:D

Archived