Captain Larry

Casey2

I'm booked with Larry for my full port time- 2 trips, in May. :)

For clarification- Depending on WHERE your ship docks- their office isn't "across the street", if on the south dock- you have LONG walk. Best landmark is the tram. There office is across the street, just past the tram going TOWARD downtown, upstairs.

[quote name='Budget Queen']I'm booked with Larry for my full port time- 2 trips, in May. :)

For clarification- Depending on WHERE your ship docks- their office isn't "across the street", if on the south dock- you have LONG walk. Best landmark is the tram. There office is across the street, just past the tram going TOWARD downtown, upstairs.[/QUOTE]
We're booked in May also.....I'll keep an eye out for someone with "BQ" on their hat and pair of 10x50's around her neck and say hello. LOL

We just booked with Capt. Larry for June 15. According to these boards and books I have read, this is the "must do" whale watch tour. I can hardly wait!!

The lady I talked with on the phone to book the tour was literally one of the friendliest people I have ever dealt with. If most Alaskans are that friendly, this is going to be a GREAT vacation!! :D

Just booked our reservations with Cpt Larry. I can attest to the very very friendly nature of Kelly. It was a true pleasure talking with her on the phone. If the tour is half as much fun as it was booking the trip we are going to have a ball. I will post our actual experiences when we get back in Jun.

We are going with Capt Larry on June 7th.. which happens to be my 54 ( oh my gosh.. that seems so old) birthday. We can't wait to take our first cruise!

We will be there a day before you on June 6... maybe we'll leave a b'day surprise;)..oh, and save a few whales for ya'.. we'll let them know it's your birthday so they'll put on an extra special "show"

I opted for the ships excursion because Captain Larry was similiar in price. I had read on the boards that people were getting sick from the exhaust from Captain Larrys boats. I wanted to avoid this. The naturalist on the ships tour was fabulous. She was a college student who was majoring in whales, etc and she had a wealth of information to tell us. THe boat was clean and new that the ship excurision used and they had all types of free food and drink for us to eat. It was a very wonderful experience.

We just booked with Capt. Larry for July 5. I was originally planning on a helicopter excursion but after reading such great reviews about Orca and enjoying wildlife we booked for 3:00 pm. We are so excited!

• 2 months later...

We were with Capt. Larry morning of the 15th. No orca but plenty of humpbacks and definitely a highlight of our cruise on Celebrity Summit!!

BTW, they are getting a brand new boat in June. Capt. sez it holds around 65 but they plan on keeping the numbers down for a more personal experience.

Vada

We been thru the ships who use allen marine tours and capt larry and I have to say I guess my husband and I are the oddballs but we likes allen marine tours much much better than capt larry....there was more deck space on top to move around. We are going for a 4th time and will pick allen marine tours again which is who Princess and most cruise lines use.

We were on Capt. Larry's tour on May 17. It was fantastic and we saw at least 25 whales. We have taken four other whale watching tours in Juneau but this was the best. The funniest thing was to watch a line of three other boats following Capt. Larry where ever he went.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent Excursion with Capt Larry May 2005. Many humpbacks. Many Bald Eagles. No orcas. Capt Larry has a lot of character. That day Juneau has several cruiseships arrive late. That presented many logistical challenges to keep the tours ontime and accomodate the late guests too. They really scrambled and rose to the occasion.

Do you have to waer wetsuits or some type of suit along with the life jacket. I heard that on some tours, not his necessarily, that they require those suits to protect you from the cold water in case something should happen.

What I liked about Captain Larry was that our own Celebritiy cruise this past July the nauralist that was aboard the ship was the one who got off and was the same guide with Captain Larry on our tour with Captain Larry. He told us the best time to see whales in Hawaii was Jan or Feb as that is where he heads after the Alasak season is over and after taking some time off! Pam

I agree, I was on the Summit the week of May 20th. Derk, the naturalist on the Summit does the naturalist duties on Capt. Larry's boat each week he's in Juneau. I think it speaks volumes that he chooses to go with Capt. Larry and not on the Celebrity whale watching excursion. Derk, is fantastic!

Sharon

The six of us went whale-watching with Captain Larry on Sunday, May 29th. It was an outstanding experience. Not only did we see the humpback whales, but we went off in search of several pods of orcas that Dirk and Captain Larry had seen earlier in the day. We found them and my pictures just don't do justice to the experience of seeing these magnificant creatures cavorting in the water!! Simply fantastic!

As a result of our side trip, we didn't return to the marina, but Captain Larry brought us into downtown Juneau, where we were just yards from the Summit's docking. Could not have been more convenient for us.

Thank you to all who recommended Orca Enterprises on these boards.:)

We went last Sat on our Southbound trip. It was not the most eventful for whale watching but I did get a couple of ok pics. Thought you might like to see.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/Desilu/Captain%20Larry/whaletail.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/Desilu/Captain%20Larry/whaletail2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/Desilu/Captain%20Larry/PICT0932.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/Desilu/Captain%20Larry/PICT0927.jpg

Those who have this to look forward to...........wish I was going with you.

Here's a photo of our group standing with Capt. Larry in front of the Awesome Orca. We were in Juneau on May 15th. We had a wonderful time, saw plenty of humpbacks and we all agreed it was a highlight of our entire 14-day cruise!

Vada

PS- Captain has the white beard and purple jacket. :)

Capt.jpg.20c53a8ce8ab09eac23ae1a38d63a268.jpg

Archived