Captain Larry

Casey2

My kids loved it. They really loved the upper deck. They were 8 and 10 and the time.

Didn't have any issue with sea sickness. But if you have problems, just take something before, pills, ginger, wristband - what ever works. I get seasick if the coniditions are right, but never even got close.

Just booked with Captain Larry, and we can hardly wait! We will be in port on June 28th, and will be taking the 9:00 excursion. We'll only be in Juneau from 7am to 2pm...any other quickie things we can do before or after Captain Larry? Suggestions??

Thanks,

Leah

They will take you out to Mendenhall Glacier after the whale watching if you want to do that ????

I was told this is no longer available. But haven't verified it. I'll be on a "double" Larry in May so all my time in Juneau will be on the whale boats.

Caroline, Larry e-mailed me that they can do the flightseeing, however for people wishing for ground arrangements, the situation is still uncertain. He says the Forest service in putting more restrictions on ground operated tours to the glacier.

Yes, Orca Enterprises is offering the transportation to Mendenhall this summer.. and they can arrange flightseeing etc. also so it's definitely "one stop shopping" so to speak.

Who did you get this information from and when???? See below.

Gotit from Capt. Larry himself by e-mail last week. See below copied from his e-mail:

We can combine the helicopter tours with our whale watch. The land tours to the glacier have new rules from the forest service this year so we may not be able to support this tour unless we have groups.

Gotit from Capt. Larry himself by e-mail last week. See below copied from his e-mail:

We can combine the helicopter tours with our whale watch. The land tours to the glacier have new rules from the forest service this year so we may not be able to support this tour unless we have groups.

I wonder how this impacts the blue busses?

Blue buses?? First I've heard of these. I'm in the middle of planning the first trip to Alaska. What are the blue buses??

Mighty Great Trips/Mendenall Glacier Transport (MGT) operates old blue school buses and does runs back and fourth to Mendenhall Glacier for $5 each way and they run every 30 minutes.

Here is their website:

MGT

Dirty- I was directing my inquire to Carolyn, who claims this is still available?? I would definately assume your post is the most accurate. As for MGT- they most likely will continue to have the permits to do their shuttle business. Dirty- with any potential drop off- a shuttle will still be necessary for the return to downtown. They run this for $5 each way taking 20 minutes.

[quote name='Tahoestarr']When Orca called me...they said you could see the glacier from the boat. I must say, they are the most friendly folks! I have enjoyed doing business with them.

Leah[/QUOTE]

They are very friendly.

You can see Mendenhall from the boat but the view is quite different. Here is a picture from Auke Bay on the boat:

[IMG]http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/.cv/tlassek/Sites/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-06-27%2014.41.21%20-0700/Image-6FE997FCC88111D8.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg[/IMG]

And here is a picture from the path in front of Mendenhall glacier:

[IMG]http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/.cv/tlassek/Sites/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2004-06-27%2014.41.21%20-0700/Image-6FE70850C88111D8.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg[/IMG]

The shuttle bus stuff that is going on with the Forest Service was explained in an email today and as soon as I get it straight I'll post it... will NOT affect going out to the glacier but may affect cost as there apparently shuttles will now be considered "tours" or something to that effect. The folks at Orca will type it up all nice and neat and it will be up here probably this weekend or first of the week.

I just made my reservations with Captain Larry's for the 6 PM whale watching tour. We are also going out to the glacier with them in the morning. She also recommended a resturant in town called the Twisted Fish. It is suppose to have really good halibut. She also informed me that you have to make resevations to eat there.

[quote name='vvaish']I see on Captain Larry's website that there are four tours during the day - starting 09:30, 12:00, 13:00, and 18:00. Is there any reason to one of these timings over the others ?

Thank you,

Vaibhav.[/QUOTE]

Pick the time that works best in your schedule. It is too difficult to predict the whales for a specific day :)

Archived