Ouvea Civil Unrest Cruise W917

Just got a call from T/A and Ouvea is not going to be visited on our 2nd July cruise W917 due to civil unrest. Lifou is now going to be visited instead.

Apparently according to the roll call for N923 - 25 July 2009 We are also not going to Ouvea due to civil unrest as well :( (We have not heard from our T/A about this yet, so I am unsure how true this is)

We were on W914 (the swine flu ship) and we could'nt go to Ouvea either so went to Lifou where we met 2 french backpackers who were camping there.They said that they had been to Ouvea 2 days before and couldn't see anything wrong.We also missed Isle of Pines through rough weather.

Jackie

We must remember that on all cruises

the Captain takes his orders from the cruise lines Head Office ,

and tries to carry them out as best he can.

However , he has the ultimate safety of the passengers in his hands

and can change plans at anytime ,

according to the situation and circumstances

given to him on any particular day.

On our Solomon Island cruise , the ship was nearly there

when unrest broke out, and the Captain ,

after lots of consultation with the Embassies and Authourities back in Australia,

decided he was not going to risk any danger to his passengers or ship

and we sailed past.

Its all relative....

Fiji has political unrest,

but it is still perceived as safe

for the ships and tourists to call.

just editing to add re Fiji...

but it is still perceived as safe

for the ships and tourists to call.....at the moment

Apparently according to the roll call for N923 - 25 July 2009 We are also not going to Ouvea due to civil unrest as well :( (We have not heard from our T/A about this yet, so I am unsure how true this is)

I guess that means my cruise W919 won't be going their either :mad:. It was the only port I haven't been too. However i haven't been to Lifou so I guess it will be okay :).

I guess that means my cruise W919 won't be going their either :mad:. It was the only port I haven't been too. However i haven't been to Lifou so I guess it will be okay :).

That’s a shame :(

One possible up side to this for us is if we don’t make it to Ouvea this time is we can try next year & go to Norfolk Island as well :D ( But I am hoping thing improve over the next 31 days! & we can make it)

That’s a shame :(

One possible up side to this for us is if we don’t make it to Ouvea this time is we can try next year & go to Norfolk Island as well :D ( But I am hoping thing improve over the next 31 days! & we can make it)

I'm going to start looking tonight at next years cruises :D:D:D.

Sorry for those of you not being able to visit one of your ports of call. But look at it this way.....it's a good excuse to book another cruise and do that port of call next time..:rolleyes:

Lifou is nice, a bit a-la-natural. Don't forget to walk up the hill to the lookout to see the ship anchored in the bay, a great photo shoot there. There's also a great little spot with good snorkling.

Jillybean:)

Sorry for those of you not being able to visit one of your ports of call. But look at it this way.....it's a good excuse to book another cruise and do that port of call next time..:rolleyes:

Lifou is nice, a bit a-la-natural. Don't forget to walk up the hill to the lookout to see the ship anchored in the bay, a great photo shoot there. There's also a great little spot with good snorkling.

Jillybean:)

Thanks Jillybean for your info. The cruise will be great where-ever we go :D

Archived