Pea Soup at Hubbard on Ryndam?

CalGal254

Have any of you sailed on Ryndam this summer with Hubbard Glacier in the itinerary? One of our favorite features on our past HAL Alaska cruises was the pea soup on deck while cruising Glacier Bay, and I wondered if this delicious tradition is carried on while at Hubbard this year on the Ryndam? I notice we'll be cruising there from 2-5.

Thanks in advance for this info. I'd also appreciate any other little tips anyone can give who's on Ryndam this summer. It's our first time on this ship, but we're expecting it to be wonderful, as have all our other HAL cruises.

Irene

I thought I saw someone post that they did have pea soup while at Hubbard Glacier on the Ryndam. If you go to the HAL link on the cruise boards you would find a review by RevNeal. He gave a thorough review of the northbound Ryndam and wonderful pictures of the ship and scenery.

We cruised Hubbard Glacier on the Ryndam last month and they did serve pea soup on deck. I hope you have a wonderful trip and that you are able to get as close to the glacier as we did. It is phenomenal.

Is the pea soup tradition for all HAL ships or is just for the Ryndam?

We had the pea soup on the Westerdam a few weeks ago. I was a tiny bit disappointed because I found it extremely salty. Still, it's a nice thing to provide to passengers during the glacier viewing, though.

I was on the Zuiderdam a few years ago to Alaska and we had the pea soup in the dining room the night before getting to the glacier. It was wonderful (both the soup and the glacier). At the glacier when they served the soup, it was cold, had skim on the top and yes salty. I guess they can't keep it hot for too long. Wasn't too good the second day.

Thanks for the quick feedback, everyone. Great picture, RevNeal! I can hardly wait! 74 days seems like a very long time right now, but I know it will go quickly, especially that last week, trying to arrange for details while we're gone and packing, etc.

Best regards,

Irene

She will be in a wheelchair; do they have blankets available to help keep her warm?
There are also containers with blankets out on the Lower Promenade.

You need to be prepared that the bow area in Greg's (RevNeal) picture is NOT wheelchair accessible. There are stairs and VERY high threshold doorways (about to my knee) required to get to that area. I'd ask what other area might have the pea soup.

Archived