Carnival Cruise Ship "Festivale"

mrbassman

Hello everyone. I'm looking for information and photos of the Carnival Cruise Ship "Festivale". Mainly I'm looking for photos of deck details.

I'm a radio control scale boater from the San Diego area of California, and I've attached photos of a semi-scale model of the Festivale that was scratch built by a fellow club member who has sinced passed away. The model is now in my possesion and I want to restore it to all its glory. I'm having a difficult time finding photos of deck details, and I was hoping someone could help me out. The model is 61" long, (5 feet) and weighs in at 55lbs. I believe it was scratch built from nothing but photographs. Please enjoy the photos and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Ken.

767699613_Carnival3.jpg.b4660672ecd9a892b0c395910b5de206.jpg

676410010_Carnival1.jpg.d73d2412ec4d115ba07d47128b92ee83.jpg

1560118992_Carnival2.jpg.d5da0fe986ffbddce7fd8f2e8f9f3051.jpg

I tried calling Carnival, from what I can gather, they don't have an archive dept. or a company historian. In a case like this, they just check with the guy that has been working there the longest to see if he remembers anything. They did say they had some old brochures that they would scan and mail to me. I'll wait and see. If anyone sailed on the Festivale and remembers things like shuffleboard courts or tennis courts, that's the stuff I'm looking for. Can't find any photos of the decks.

Ken

here's another site with a few more pics (scroll down a little - the first pics are of mardi gras):

http://www.classicliners.net/MARDI-GRAS.html

you might consider emailing the web master of that and the other sites for more photos - this one credits a few people for their photo contributions - maybe there's more than are being posted...

Edited by falkcor

Oh, that is so cool!

Our first Carnival cruise was on the Festivale, over 15 years ago! I wish someone had print-outs of the deck plans, because I remember a very different type of cabin set-up than ships presently had; you walk down the long center aisle, then every so often you would make a turn and there would be a short aisle with either 4 or 5 cabins accessed from there. The cabins were so very tiny, and it sure is a good thing I was thin then, because the bathroom was so small, you could shower and use the toilet at the same time (or so it seemed!). Not so sure I could maneuver in such a tiny bathroom anymore!

I hope someone does post deck plans, it sure would be interesting to see them again.

You might try and contact John Heald the Sr. CD at Carnival and he can put the request out on his blog at http://johnhealdsblog.com/?wt.mc_id=HhmpgnewandfunBBlog

Not sure if John worked on the ship but chances are that he had at one time or another.

The site is visited by thousands of cruisers of all ages. Also John has many contacts through out Carnival that may have photos.

Leave a message on his blog with a please reply and watch for an answer. It may take a week as he just returned to a ship this week.

mrbassman -

check out this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=381663

it's about 80 posts of people who have cruised on festivale - i think that would be a FINE place to ask questions.

user 'just having fun' posted a few pics, on or about the 3rd page, including of the pool area with some interesting details like the slide.

check photos here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=11485081&postcount=51 and here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=11487069&postcount=53

also, i don't recognize all of the users there as current cc 'regulars' - at least not on the carnival board, but i do some of them, such as cotton, who still come around.

hope that helps!

Edited by falkcor

Thank You everyone !!!

Spencercoop - your location says San Diego. We need to keep in touch. When I get this restoration finished join me at the model boat pond in Mission Bay for the maiden voyage.

I estimate this will take about 3 or 4 months to complete.

Falkcor - Thank you for the info. It is very much appreciated. I'll post photos of the ship on the pond sailing once again in all her glory as a model and as a tribute to the real Festivale and also to the original builder who I'm sure will be looking down from Heaven and smiling in approval.

Ken

Falkcor - Thank you for the info. It is very much appreciated. I'll post photos of the ship on the pond sailing once again in all her glory as a model and as a tribute to the real Festivale and also to the original builder who I'm sure will be looking down from Heaven and smiling in approval.

great, i'd love to see it - that's a fine looking ship you've got there! :D

There is a lot of lost history about Carnival.
I'm still trying to figure out this odd Carnival card from 1998!

Carnival-1998.jpg

The lady to whom it was issued works for a major airline for some decades now

so she gets all sorts of perks travel-industry-wide.

Is this card a special issue for industry workers? Travel agents?

What? -does anyone know?

It's not the standard cruise card for the era, because I've seen some of them

and they are nothing like this 'Plain Jane'-lookin card!

I was on the festivale in January of 1996. I do not remember much about the ship at all. My ex-husband probably does, he never forgets anything. I do remember that we had to go up two or three stairs to get to the few rooms that had balconies. These were foreward near the top. I do remember having a tub and shower in the room. The balconies were a very nice size. We tossed the mattresses out there one night. I have no idea where those photos went from that cruise. If I run into them, I will post them.

I remember the itinerary. San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados and Martinique. Perfect weather the whole cruise.

This brings back memories. I sailed on the Festivale over 20 years ago - my first cruise and all by myself. I'll have to check my albums to see what I've got.

that'd be awesome - if you have any, i'd love to see them too! it's a pretty neat glimpse into cruising history, from a first hand perspective... not to mention possibly a help to the op! :)

I have no idea where those photos went from that cruise. If I run into them, I will post them.

I remember the itinerary. San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados and Martinique. Perfect weather the whole cruise.

sounds like a pretty great room, especially at that time, on a ship of its size! if you do find the pics, please do post.

and that sounds like a killer itinerary! :D

Ken, sure wish we lived near you to see this great model of the Festivale. This was our first cruise out of San Juan in 1984. The hallways were extremely narrow with annexes of cabins off the main hallways. We had two portholes and I have no idea what deck we were on, but we had to kneel on the bed to see out. I remember skeet shooting and my dh won a small trophy. Thank you for sharing; now we are planning #26.

here's another site with a few more pics (scroll down a little - the first pics are of mardi gras):

http://www.classicliners.net/MARDI-GRAS.html

you might consider emailing the web master of that and the other sites for more photos - this one credits a few people for their photo contributions - maybe there's more than are being posted...

very interesting website,love the history. I hope you get all the info you need to restore the model,good luck

Oh, that is so cool!

Our first Carnival cruise was on the Festivale, over 15 years ago! I wish someone had print-outs of the deck plans, because I remember a very different type of cabin set-up than ships presently had; you walk down the long center aisle, then every so often you would make a turn and there would be a short aisle with either 4 or 5 cabins accessed from there. The cabins were so very tiny, and it sure is a good thing I was thin then, because the bathroom was so small, you could shower and use the toilet at the same time (or so it seemed!). Not so sure I could maneuver in such a tiny bathroom anymore!

I hope someone does post deck plans, it sure would be interesting to see them again.

Ask and ye shall receive:

2785303300105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

2199727030105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

2600788490105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

~Special thanks to my wife for snagging the catalog off of eBay!