Carnival Cruise Ship "Festivale"

mrbassman

Hi everyone. It's been a while but I didn't forget. The restoration is coming along well. The model was in a bit worse shape than I thought. Nothng I can't fix, will just take a bit more time. The hull is sanded down and repainted, the decks are all sanded down, in the process of being repainted. Just last night I started applying the first of about 450port holes, (I'm learning to hate port holes !!) I'm still figuring it will take about two more months to complete. An architectural firm might hire me to build a scale model of a business park under development, that will be a paying gig, so the Festivale may need to wait, but I don't think it will materialize. A big Thank You to everyone for the pictures and stories about the Festivale. It makes it more personal for me. Updates to this thread will follow.

Thank You,

Ken

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.*****************/threads/festival.6247/

I believe someone mentioned this one (nice shot of the funnel):

http://www.classicliners.net/MARDI-GRAS.html

Sailed on her my second cruise, March 17 '91. Had the worst cabin in the fleet, M36, which was sternmost cabin and behind a fire door. A lot of noise and vibration.

Also, I believe that the movie "Girl on The Bridge" features the Festival, at least dockside.

Just happened on this thread and all the memories of our first sailings on Carnival came flooding back. Carnival was well established in 1989 but some friends of ours wanted to get all nostalgic and sail on the first 3 ships in Carnivals fleet in one year. Well, we got 2 of them Carnivale in March 1989 and Mardi Gras (Carnivals first ship) in August of 1989 had Festivale booked for later in 1989 but I got sick and we had to cancel. We never did get on Festivale :(. Talked my brother and his wife onto Mardi Gras for there first cruise. OK, into the attic tomorrow:) to dig up some pics...

I realize this thread was started in 2009 and never saw it until just now. We were on Festivale in June 1992 for our honeymoon and very first cruise and I still have the brochure with deck plans, which I've scanned and posting pictures of. I'm guessing the original poster no longer needs these but someone else may be interested. I only had a film camera at the time, so I was very limited on the pictures I took but will also include those I got of Festivale. We had such a great first cruise and loved Festivale.

scan0019.jpg

scan0021.jpg

Festivale in San Juan, Puerto Rico. There was a Christopher Columbus festival of some sort going on where replica ships were at the normal ship docks in Old San Juan, so we were docked across the harbor.

SCAN0171A.jpg

Festivale in Barbados from the Bajan Queen Booze Cruise party boat

SCAN0314A.jpg

View of Festivale's upper decks from Lido/pool area

SCAN0178.jpg

Lido/pool area of Festivale on our last day, a sea day

SCAN0362.jpg

• 3 years later...