Intercontinental Motu vs Lagoon ?

We are thinking about doing 2 nights in Tahiti before we get on the PG.

Besides the price, what is the difference between the overwater Motu vs overwater lagoon bungalows at the Intercontinental Tahiti? Thanks, Lisa

Simply the sunset. The overwater lagoon bungalows look over the laggos back at the island while the overwater Motu bungalows look at to sea and see the sunset. The descriptions and totally useless, I know. We opted for an "Oceanview room" which was a big disappointment and then upgraded to a Overwater Motu Bongolow, which was incredible. Research carefull be cause I could be mistaken on the terminology. There is a big difference. If in doubt, cal lthem up; it is worth the telephone charge.

Big difference between the two types of overwater bungalows, in our opinion. The last time we sailed PG, we wanted to try an OWB. However, we had read a comment on CC very critical of the lagoon bungalows, so we asked our T/A to ascertain which type we would be in. "Lagoon" was the answer, along with "No, you can't be in a motu because they're all booked." So we bit the bullet, paid twice the rate of an oceanview room and hoped that the CC poster was just being curmudgeonly.

FWIW, here's a copy of what I wrote to our T/A upon returning from our otherwise excellent trip on the PG:

"(The OWB) was absolutely...positively...totally...not worth the money. They put us in a bungalow facing the marina and the airport runway. Constant noise of boat and airplane traffic. The surrounding water was shallow, cloudy and brownish with trash and foam floating on the surface. Uninviting, to say the least, despite steps leading down into it from the bungalow deck. Swim in it? Fuhgeddaboudit! Never again.

"For your future clients, if they can't be guaranteed an OWB in the 500-number series, they shouldn't waste their money. The 500s are the so-called "motu" bungalows at the far end of the property, away from the sport boats, past Le Lotus restaurant, and surrounded by deeper, crystal-clear water. We were in a "lagoon" bungalow, number 400-something, and the 400s (especially the low-400s) should be avoided like the plague. What a waste...but oh well, we live and learn."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. No, we didn't ask to be relocated because we were there for only one night pre-cruise, arrived well after dark, raced to dinner before visiting our bungalow because the restaurant was about to close and, therefore, didn't see our digs until it was too late and we were too tired to care. The next morning, when we had hoped to swim from our bungalow in tropical paradise, those hopes were dashed. And with a scheduled noon check-out, it wasn't really practical to demand a move to another bungalow even if one were available.

We still like the Interconti a lot, much better than the Radisson which is the other RSSC favorite. Better location, better facilities, much shorter ride from the airport upon arrival and to the ship upon departure. Nicer view, too, with Moorea looming across the water. Just be sure either to get into the "right" bungalow section or to save your money for something else by booking into a regular room.

Have fun!

I am also interested in the answer the the OP's Question.

It sounds like - from the answers so far - that the Overwater MOTU Bungalows are better because of Sunset View and location.. But according to this PG Cruises Website, the cost of the Motus are LESS than the Lagoons.

What am I missing ?:confused:

Here is the Link

http://www.pgcruises.com/extend/tahiti/default.aspx

Wow, the link provided is astonishing regarding the relative pricing. It prompted me to search the Interconti website where I discovered the following:

Either the hotel has switched the designations of lagoon vs. motu since our cruise in 2007 or my notes from that stay are incorrect and, therefore, I misspoke above. It is now (and maybe always has been if I was mistaken) the motu bungalows that are the undesirables closest to the marina and airport runway, while the lagoons are the desirable ones at the far end of the property. They also cost more.

My geographic recommendation remains unchanged. However, in penance for creating confusion: Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Simply the sunset. The overwater lagoon bungalows look over the laggos back at the island while the overwater Motu bungalows look at to sea and see the sunset. The descriptions and totally useless, I know. We opted for an "Oceanview room" which was a big disappointment and then upgraded to a Overwater Motu Bongolow, which was incredible. Research carefull be cause I could be mistaken on the terminology. There is a big difference. If in doubt, cal lthem up; it is worth the telephone charge.

Rally,

Mind if I ask why the disappointment with the Oceanview Room ?

Also, another poster said the OverWater Motu Bungalows were in a poor location with lousy water, but you say it was incredible.:confused:

Anybody else have experience one way or another with the Motus VERSUS the Lagoons ?

Thanks in Advance

Archived