Senior Discount Question

airhead22

I don't recall hearing of senior discounts from Carnival. I have heard of discounts for military folks (both retired and active). They also sometimes have special rates for past guests.

I have also heard of discounts for teachers, cops and firemen; but I think those were on RCI.

I don't recall hearing of senior discounts from Carnival. I have heard of discounts for military folks (both retired and active). They also sometimes have special rates for past guests.

I have also heard of discounts for teachers, cops and firemen; but I think those were on RCI.

Actually, Carnival has quite a few sailings they give senior discounts on. I was looking thru my cruise this Sept and they gave $100 off pp on a balcony two nights ago, but only $60 by the next morning, still a good amount off. But only $20 off a OV, go figure. Its usually closer to the sailing date you see the senior discounts on whatever category isnt filling up well. The site I check, it will say click here to see senior rate, click here to see past guest etc,.

My guess would be you would have to be 55 at the time of sailing, not at the time of booking. My reasoning is this isnt like military where you have to fax something in to prove you are a senior. They dont check your driver's license until you check in to cruise.

I have to tell you this, for some reason my brother thought that since you can join AARP at 50, then all places that give seniors discounts do it at 50 years old. So he booked his Carnival cruise on line, saw that it said senior discount, booked his room and they never verified his age at all. So after that he would just look for the senior discount and use that unless the past guest rates were better. They also have discounts for each state in the nation as well. I live in Oregon and when I booked my cruise for next Jan, they had $100.00 off per person, but early saver saved me so much more money so I booked that way.

Back to your question, no they do not verify that you are 55 or older, at least they never have my brother.

Last cruise,(4-09), was booked when I was 54. As soon as I turned 55, I waited until the Senior discount was available, hit up my PVP, and got it. I also got Past Guest, when it was there. What the heck, sometimes it pays to get "old"!;)

Carnival has a 55+ Promo rate that they offer (just like Past guest, and State Residency) sometimes on some cruisings, usually in the last 2 or 3 months. I believe you have to be 55 on date of sailing and able to prove it at check-in. The birthdate that you enter at booking should support turning 55 by sailaway.

when you do a Cruise Search on carnival.com, use the Special Search box on Left to enter your Cruise parameters and also check-off Past Guest, 55+ and State of Residency (as they apply to you); when you find your cruise, the Past Guest Rate, the 55+ Rate and State Residency Rate will be also displayed IF THEY ARE CURRENTLY BEING OFFERED FOR YOUR CRUISE.

ken

Thanks a bunch all of you. I have another site I check and it had a senior rate which might save me some money, but not sure if I could get it. I just figured there has got to be SOMETHING good about this getting older thing, because I haven't found it yet!!

I have to tell you this, for some reason my brother thought that since you can join AARP at 50, then all places that give seniors discounts do it at 50 years old. So he booked his Carnival cruise on line, saw that it said senior discount, booked his room and they never verified his age at all. So after that he would just look for the senior discount and use that unless the past guest rates were better. They also have discounts for each state in the nation as well. I live in Oregon and when I booked my cruise for next Jan, they had $100.00 off per person, but early saver saved me so much more money so I booked that way.

Back to your question, no they do not verify that you are 55 or older, at least they never have my brother.

Your brother is very lucky that he was not charged full rate at boarding. Because it worked for him, doesn't mean it will work for anyone else. I have worked many embarkations and yes, they do check ages. The age is also on the funpass when you dill it out....

Personally I wouldn't want to take the chance of getting caught at the pier and having to pay the going rate. And I also wouldn't hand out advice which isn't true to posters asking legitimate questions. The answer to the question is that you need to be 55 at the time of boarding.

Archived