Beating a dead horse...

WapCaplet

I know the topic of tipping has been discussed ad infinitum, but I did want to get one quick clarification.

My Celebrity documents indicate that the auto-tipping feature charges $12 per day, per person (in concierge class). The "per person" part is just the tiniest bit confusing. I assume this means per "guest", not per "person who serves us". Yes?

So for my wife and I, on a 12 day cruise in Concierge Class, the auto-tipping charge would be $12 X 2 X 12 = $288. Is that correct?

I also understand that additional tipping charges will be added to our account for each beverage we purchase while on-board. Also correct?

Thanks!

Tom

I know the topic of tipping has been discussed ad infinitum, but I did want to get one quick clarification.

My Celebrity documents indicate that the auto-tipping feature charges $12 per day, per person (in concierge class). The "per person" part is just the tiniest bit confusing. I assume this means per "guest", not per "person who serves us". Yes?

So for my wife and I, on a 12 day cruise in Concierge Class, the auto-tipping charge would be $12 X 2 X 12 = $288. Is that correct?

I also understand that additional tipping charges will be added to our account for each beverage we purchase while on-board. Also correct?

Thanks!

Tom

Hi, Tom. Yes, your calculations are correct. And as for the tips on beverages, when you are given the bill to sign each time you order something, the 15% tip will already be added to that bill and clearly identified. I don't remember but I think only the total of each beverage bill is actually shown on your room statement. I always try to keep all of my copies of the bills I sign so I can match them up to my room statement. Usually, and especially on a 12 night cruise, you should receive a statement half-way through your cruise just to let you know sort of "where you are" and aren't caught off guard with some huge statement at the end of your cruise. Of course you can always request a copy at the guest relations desk at any time, and on many ships, you can even access your statement on the interactive TV in your cabin. Also, I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten about something, like opening a large bottle of water in my cabin, or sending some things to the laundry or to be pressed. Not all lines/ships charge for bottled water but most of the major lines do.

Hope this info helps.

Peggy

usha & Peggy,

Thanks a ton for the quick response and clarification. Much appreciated! It's so helpful to know exactly what to expect. Thanks for helping out a first timer. Cheers!

Tom

One cruise I had a manicure and gave her a very generous tip, only to discover back in my room when I looked at the receipt, that 18% had been added BEFORE the gratuity. Always good to know this in advance. I hear the girl now owns a villa in the South of France.:D

OR...you could put away your calculator, log onto Celebrity and chose to pay the autotip that will be listed with your booking.

-OR- they can do that when they board.

-OR - while on board.

-OR- at the end of the cruise.

Plenty of options to suit the individual guests. :)

OR...you could put away your calculator, log onto Celebrity and chose to pay the autotip that will be listed with your booking.

I just logged into the Celebrity site to manage my reservation and I could not find the Autotip option anywhere. I looked in pretty much every spot I could think of, but the option does not appear to exist for me. I have already paid for this cruise in full with my TA; would this be why the Autotip option is no longer available or something? Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Tom

I have already paid for this cruise in full with my TA; would this be why the Autotip option is no longer available or something?

Tom

Auto-Tip allows you to include the total recommended gratuity in your final payment... Once you've paid in full; that option is gone... Your tips will now be charged to your onboard SeaPass account unless you intervene to tip otherwise.

I'm confused by all of this!! We have "prepaid" our gratuities. Part of our ticket price. Will we still have auto-tipping done by the cruise line once we are sailing? I know there will be drinks tip added automatically but surely not auto tipping as well?

I'm confused by all of this!! We have "prepaid" our gratuities. Part of our ticket price. Will we still have auto-tipping done by the cruise line once we are sailing? I know there will be drinks tip added automatically but surely not auto tipping as well?

No only your drinks will show up. You have already paid for your tips.

-OR- they can do that when they board.

-OR - while on board.

-OR- at the end of the cruise.

Plenty of options to suit the individual guests. :)

:D:D:D

Sorry Finely, your response is much more accurate. Sometimes reading constant threads about calculations on per diem cabin rates, tips, etc. makes my head hurt.

i.e. "If I drink 6 drinks on a Tuesday and the special drink of the day is $5.80 and the drink I like is $5.95, what would my drink per day price be if I have one less drink".

:D

I just read a review by a cc member who suggests that you eat dinner in the casual dining venue, then you won't have to tip. This was not an =X= review, but the concept is the same except for the nominal recommended tip on =X=. All I can say is WOW, some people.

:D:D:D

Sorry Finely, your response is much more accurate. Sometimes reading constant threads about calculations on per diem cabin rates, tips, etc. makes my head hurt.

i.e. "If I drink 6 drinks on a Tuesday and the special drink of the day is $5.80 and the drink I like is $5.95, what would my drink per day price be if I have one less drink".

:D

If a cruise ship leaves Venice, traveling West at 15 knots, with a suggested daily tip amount of $12 per person, and another cruise ship leaves Barcelona, traveling East at 18 knots, with an additional 18% gratutity charge for beverages, how many chair hogs will there be when the cruise ships meet?

;)

If a cruise ship leaves Venice, traveling West at 15 knots, with a suggested daily tip amount of $12 per person, and another cruise ship leaves Barcelona, traveling East at 18 knots, with an additional 18% gratutity charge for beverages, how many chair hogs will there be when the cruise ships meet?

;)

None, the ship traveling west from Venice will run aground, unless it goes southeast first;):D

;)

2,500. But only on the last night, after they've removed the autotip and are hiding at the pool from their servers, eating food they've taken from the buffet and swigging rum from plastic Coke bottles.

:p

The other 400 passengers will be gladly paying for glasses of wine and eating in the dining room with their new friends.

We were on the Independance of the Seas in 2008 we changed to My Time Dining when it became an option [ we prefer this ] we could only change if we pre paid our gratuities it is my understanding that the same will apply on Celebrity when they change to Select Dining , we are booked on Equinox transatlantic next April and we will change as soon as its possible :)

Archived