Question on Panama Canal

:) We are thinking of a Panama Canal cruise round trip from Florida. We see "Panama Canal cruising" in the itinery and wonder how far into the Canal does the ship go? ie does it go far enough to go through some of the big locks? Any other info would be appreciated.:)

Since you are going round trip from Florida, your transit will only be "partial". We went on that cruise in April on the Jewel of the Seas, and the ship went through the Gatun Locks into Gatun Lake, where it offloaded those passengers who were going on excursions, then turned around and went back through the Gatun Locks to Cristobal Pier where it waited to pick up the excursion passengers. You are able to get a really good idea of how the locks work.

If you are going on Royal Caribbean, be SURE the itinerary specifies "partial transit" or "cruising the canal" or some other such wording. It was my understanding that Royal is eliminating its partial transit cruises and only doing full transits (from Atlantic all the way to the Pacific, or vice versa). In looking at the listed Royal Caribbean itineraries available at the moment, it appears that only full transit cruises are actually going into the canal. I can't speak for other cruise lines. You might want to call Royal Caribbean to confirm this info before you book.

If you do a "partial" transit, that will give you a great overview of the Canal...no need to purchase excursions for that, either. While the ship is going through the locks, there's a navigator onboard who will give a running commentary of all things Canal! On the partial, you go through 3 sets of locks (if I remember!!!) and when some of the passengers get off (for their very expensive and lengthy excursions) you'll have a lovely, uncrowded ship to use for the rest of the day!

:) We are thinking of a Panama Canal cruise round trip from Florida. We see "Panama Canal cruising" in the itinery and wonder how far into the Canal does the ship go? ie does it go far enough to go through some of the big locks? Any other info would be appreciated.:)

In my view go for a full through passage cruise, say from San Diego to Miami, the entire trip along the canal is a wonderful experience.

We did this cruise a few years back, and took a "very expensive and lengthy excursions" that was perhaps the best thing I have done in 8 cruise's.

Once the ship gets into the lake, we got off and took the Panama Canal Cruise tour. It takes you on a smaller boat all the way through the locks to the pacific side. Going through the canal on a small boat was incredible. The trip is alsi narrated and you learn and see so much. It is relaxing, informative and a once in a life time experience. It is even better now that they are doing all the work, there is a lot to see. I would do it again in a second.

Being in that small boat, in HUGE locks with HUGE cargo ships is amazing.

What ship are you looking at? I ask because RCI is not doing any partial transits this season (Nov- April) and only doing a few full transits in October and November. There probably will be some additional full transits in the April time frame but this won't address your question of round trip out of Florida.

I you find a Canal transit that is r/t out of Florida it most likely will be a partial transit. The ship will enter the Canal from the Atlantic entrance, lock through Gatun Locks into Gatun Lake. Here the ship will go to anchor and tender touring passengers ashore. The ship will then lock back down Gatun Locks and proceed to the Cristobal piers. This would be what is described as "cruising the Canal."

You should visit this recent thread I started. RCCI is apparently no longer doing partial trips into the Panama Canal. Sorry!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1010590&highlight=

Archived