Difference in balcony cabins on SUN

nunuc2000

Hi Folks...

Given the option, would you go for one of the BA balconey cabins on Norway deck (like 0002 or 0003) or would you go for the BE cabins at the very aft of the ship on Viking deck (8078 and 8278)?

Not sure why those BE's are considered a lower category (and cheaper!) yet they're aft facing... isn't that more desirable? What is the difference between those cabins that accounts for the lower category rating and price??

Anyone stayed in the BE aft facing balconey cabins before: any advice, tips, hints thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Tricky. Having just come off the sun I personally would have a front or side cabin.

MY parents had an Aft AE and it was nice but it was a bit quieter at the front as there was no wake noise. Depends what is your thing I think any balcony will be great but an AFT one will be better when you are heading away from the glacier or for general viewing I reckon.

Helllooooo...? Tap, tap... is this thing on?? :confused:

Ah have you tried to read the reviews on the Sun, particularly for the same time frame and cruise.

We had looked at this cruise and when we read the reviews not only did we decide to stay away from aft cabins because of soot problems we decided not to go on this cruise because of comments about the ship showing its age.

Ah have you tried to read the reviews on the Sun, particularly for the same time frame and cruise.

We had looked at this cruise and when we read the reviews not only did we decide to stay away from aft cabins because of soot problems we decided not to go on this cruise because of comments about the ship showing its age.

Yup... have read many, MANY reviews... and the overwhelming majority of reviews have been positive about the SUN - in fact, for a lot of NCL cruisers, the SUN is actually their favorite ship. If I were deciding to not go on a cruise because of some negative comments about a ship, then I couldn't go on any cruise at all - without exception, every single crusieship has had some kind of negative comments written about it. I take it all in and balance it out with some informed decision making, and I'm well aware that there are some people out there who can never be pleased by anything... I just hope they aren't on my cruise. :p

I would just like to know the difference between the two types of cabins I listed and what choice people would make between the two types, along with thoughts from people who have stayed in the BE aft facing cabins before and can give firsthand advice.

I booked an AFT/Stern because I believe it's the best all the way around. When the ship is cruising to a port, there is very little wind at the Stern. I've read that most Stern cabins have a bigger balcony, but I'm not sure about the Sun. Maybe Ajohnstu could answer that one.

I booked 9277 which is a BD because there are cabins above and below. I'd rather not be right under the lido deck or above a public room.

I would think that would be more desirable, but it's at the low end of the categories.

Fine by me.. saved me a few hundred dollars.

And I agree with you about the Sun being a very favored ship by NCL cruisers. In fact, my PCC said it's the ship that gets the least complaints.

I booked an AFT/Stern because I believe it's the best all the way around. When the ship is cruising to a port, there is very little wind at the Stern. I've read that most Stern cabins have a bigger balcony, but I'm not sure about the Sun. Maybe Ajohnstu could answer that one.

I booked 9277 which is a BD because there are cabins above and below. I'd rather not be right under the lido deck or above a public room.

I would think that would be more desirable, but it's at the low end of the categories.

Fine by me.. saved me a few hundred dollars.

And I agree with you about the Sun being a very favored ship by NCL cruisers. In fact, my PCC said it's the ship that gets the least complaints.

Hi Wink... I think the BE balconies are the same size as the BA's on the Sun anyway, but I'm noticing now that 8078 and 8278 are above the Stardust, so part of my question now includes:

"What time do the shows wrap up at night in the Stardust? Will noise from that theatre be an issue for the cabins directly above the stage area?"

Any advice regarding these specific questions (the one included here and those in the original first post) are appreciated.

Hi Wink... I think the BE balconies are the same size as the BA's on the Sun anyway, but I'm noticing now that 8078 and 8278 are above the Stardust, so part of my question now includes:

"What time do the shows wrap up at night in the Stardust? Will noise from that theatre be an issue for the cabins directly above the stage area?"

Any advice regarding these specific questions (the one included here and those in the original first post) are appreciated.

Hi backacha, Nunac! Question: w/o re-reading everything, have you booked the Stern cabin already? The reason I ask is I personally wouldn't book above the theater. But there may be absolutely no noise problems associated with those cabins.

Are no Stern cabins available on deck 9? When I booked, the BD's and the BE's were the same price.

Hi backacha, Nunac! Question: w/o re-reading everything, have you booked the Stern cabin already? The reason I ask is I personally wouldn't book above the theater. But there may be absolutely no noise problems associated with those cabins.

Are no Stern cabins available on deck 9? When I booked, the BD's and the BE's were the same price.

Yup, got the BE aft room booked already, but do have the option of upgrading to a BA instead - it's actually for our travel companions... just so enticed by the idea of the aft facing balcony - it seems to be such a coveted location, so when NCL released those, it seemed like a no-brainer to jump on that chance... but now...hmmmm :confused:

Yup, got the BE aft room booked already, but do have the option of upgrading to a BA instead - it's actually for our travel companions... just so enticed by the idea of the aft facing balcony - it seems to be such a coveted location, so when NCL released those, it seemed like a no-brainer to jump on that chance... but now...hmmmm :confused:

So are the same balcony's above yours booked? If so, I'd still take what you have. Being above the theater isn't too bad since most entertainment is done no later that 1 a.m. and even then, I'm sure that's not that often. Hopefully someone will come along who's actually stayed in those cabins and can confirm.

Hi Wink... I think the BE balconies are the same size as the BA's on the Sun anyway.

The balconies are the same size but the cabins are smaller by 23 sqf.

BD/BE

• 150 SQF.
  • Private Balcony
  • Shower
  • Crib
  • Convertible Lower Beds
  • Convertible Single Sofa Bed
  • Duvet
  • Refrigerator
  • Hair Dryer
  • Telephone
  • Safe
  • Television
  • Outside
  • Sitting Area
  • Connecting Room
  • Floor to Ceiling Glass Doors

BA

• 173 SQF.
  • Private Balcony
  • Sliding Glass Door
  • Shower
  • Crib
  • Convertible Lower Beds
  • Convertible Single Sofa Bed
  • Duvet
  • Refrigerator
  • Hair Dryer
  • Telephone
  • Safe
  • Television
  • Outside
  • Sitting Area

So are the same balcony's above yours booked? If so, I'd still take what you have. Being above the theater isn't too bad since most entertainment is done no later that 1 a.m. and even then, I'm sure that's not that often. Hopefully someone will come along who's actually stayed in those cabins and can confirm.

Yes, unfortunately the cabins on the deck directly above 8078 and 8278 have already been booked, otherwise they definitely would have been a better choice. Will have to see... hmmmm...

Yes we definitely got sand blasted a few times up on the front deck. What I found was if I stayed about 2ft away from the railing the wind was slight but the closer I got the more dermabrasion hit my face :o)

At the back of course is lovely but you have the noise of the water which isn't unpleasant at all but the front was incredibly serene. We were luck to have family in an AFT cabin so we got to enjoy both.

Yes we definitely got sand blasted a few times up on the front deck. What I found was if I stayed about 2ft away from the railing the wind was slight but the closer I got the more dermabrasion hit my face :o)

At the back of course is lovely but you have the noise of the water which isn't unpleasant at all but the front was incredibly serene. We were luck to have family in an AFT cabin so we got to enjoy both.

Nunac, sorry to hijack.. :D But I wanted to get ajohnstu's opinion on if there is a difference in balcony size in bow and stern balcony cabins.

Also, thanks for your stats, time2cruise1. I know you said the balconies are the same size, but we all know those measurements may vary.

I think Most of the Regular balconys

cabins are 173 sqf and balconys are 35 sqf

and then some are 150 sqf and 85 sqf balconys.

That is what I've read and seen.

Now, this is my little secret (that I swore would be my little secret...but cannot be on the Sun year around -- so here goes -- letting the cat out of the bag).

We booked room 9075 on the Sun last Sept and wanted the same room for a cruise this Sept -- but couldn't get it when I finally got around to booking it. This was a BD category and one of the cheaper rooms in the balcony categories. We like to be sandwiched in between decks with cabins but then booked the room right below this one as 9075 and 9275 are only 150 sq feet (as are the cabins right below on deck 8 and I think on the deck above as well), but the balcony was to die for!! I mean die for!! No soot problems and no noise problems on deck 9. I had heard some complain about the rooms above and below us hearing noise from the Great Outdoor Cafe (above cabins on deck 10) and from the theater (below cabins on deck 8). So, think even though the room was so small, these two rooms on deck 9 are the best on the ship as you get a side view on from your balcony but also get an aft view as the balcony wraps a bit towards the back. We had a lounge chair out there and used the extra room on the balcony to replace the lack of the room inside. It really was a fabulous room and would take it over the aft facing rooms any day as you get the best of both worlds. There was no wind problem on this balcony either. You only really share one side with another balcony due to the structure of the ship.

We originally booked the BE category for our next cruise on the Sun, but gave it up to save a few hundred dollars for a BB category...ha!! I will most likely like the extra room inside but will miss that balcony that we grew to love so much our last time out on the Sun.

OH -- by the way, the quote above is correct...rooms are 150 sq feet for categories BE and BD and the balconies for those last two rooms on decks 8,9,10 are 85 sq ft. I don't think the balconies facing directly aft have the same size balconies, though.

Archived