Purchasing "on site" archaeological books in advance?

I've been to Greece twice, exploring the Peloponnese and Central Greece. One huge regret I have is not having purchased the various inexpensive "site" books you can get at various places like Delphi, Meteora, Mycenae, etc.

My experience of these places would have been richer for it if I had the books before I ever got to the sites; and these books would be great to have as references when you get home. Problem is, I've never bought any. I did find an old one to the Vatican Museums in a used book store--for USD $1. And I know this will help me considerably when I get to Rome. But I want more!

The ideal situation? Somehow, purchase these books in advance. Is there any place that will mail order them to me? Can't imagine they'd be on Amazon, as they're limited run publications by small publishers.

I just took a quick look on Amazon and I believe they do sell some of them (as used books, generally, but at pretty good prices). The problem is identifying which one(s) you would want as there is very little descriptive info given.

If you post which sites you're most interested in, I can have a look at the ones I've purchased (I generally get one.....but in a few cases -- like Ephesus -- I've loaned mine out & not gotten them back :() and give you the author and publication date. Hopefully with that you could find what you need.

Thanks CruiseMom! I bet I could check out Half.com as well (owned by eBay). I buy most of my used books through vendors on half.com and have never had a bad experience (of course I usually only buy from vendors that have made thousands of sales and have 98%+ satisfaction rating).

I bought my book about Captain Johnny (RCI's Mariner of the Seas) for around USD $5 once I got home. On ship, the book was... $20 to $30 as I recall.

Here are the places I'm interested in:

* Ephesus, including now, of course, the Terrace Houses

* Priene (thanks to you)

* Athens - Acropolis and Agora (would be nice to have, even though I've been there twice)

* Knossos

* Anything from Taormina, Sicily (no achaeological sites there that I know of) / anthing on Mt. Etna

And if you happen to have them:

* Meteora (will have to get back there some day but not on a cruise excursion; it's an 8 hour train ride from Athens, and I spend 3 days exploring those rock-pinnacle monasteries)

* Ancient Corinth, as well as *Acrocorinth*. Since I was visiting on my own, I had the pleasure and privilege of heading all the way to to Acrocorinth, high above the ancient site of Corinth. Evidently the road is too narrow for tour buses, so most people never see the collection of ruins at Acrocorinth. This was one of the many advantages of doing a central greece / peloponeese overland trip on my own, before I discovered cruising.

I'm intensely interested to know what's behind the Periene Fountains. Somewhere to the left of the fountains, I crawled down and discovered a passageway. There is some sort of cave behind the fountains. Don't know where the cave goes. I think I got spooked by a snake and zip-tang I was gone. Shouldn't have been back there, probably, but I was on an Indiana Jones type adventure.

* Mycenae

* Napliflio (Palamidi Fortress, etc)

* Delphi (still my favorite ancient site for its gorgeous setting)

Ah, Greece. It's a pity I'll have only a single port stop on the Greek mainland (Athens). Not enough time to take my wife to Delphi for the day--doubt I could do Delphi as well as the Acropolis / Agora in one port stop without being very harried.

Hmmm... Corinth is closer though... wonder if I could do that. Corinth is lovely. The thing I hate about package tourism is that you never seem to have enough time to explore all the nooks and crannies of ancient sites. I was so pleased with myself to see tour buses come and go, while I remained for as long as I wanted.

Thanks!

CruiseMom,

Forgot a few:

* The Colliseum

* The Pantheon

* Basically anything from Rome (except the Vatican)

* Mykonos (specifically, Delos) - future cruise perhaps

* Rhodes - future cruise perhaps

* Santorini - future cruise perhaps

* Dubrovnik / Split - future cruise perhaps

Was browsing a book on Turkey; I'm thinking I need to need 2 weeks traveling around Turkey some time. On a cruise, it's impossible to do justice to all a place like Turkey has to offer on just 1 or 2 port stops.

When I was overlanding in Greece, I may a lot of travelers who'd just returned from Turkey. The story was always the same--something to the tune of: "Turkey has more Greek ruins than Modern Greece, and they're far less ruined."

And if you or anyone else has book citations for Paris and environs, that would be great:

* Versailles

* The Louvre

* La Tour Eiffel

* Rodin museum

* The Orsay

* And any other Paris site-specific good ones

And, why not, since I may do a day from from Paris to London:

* The British Museum (Rosetta Stone anyone?)

* Buckingham Palace

* Tower of London

You have quite the wish list! Maybe I should just pack up my library of travel books and mail them to you. :D Here's my first pass -- I may post more later as I browse through my books. I can't say I have much on Paris which, although it is a delightful city, doesn't have the sort of history I'm really interested in.

I'll start with the easiest first.

Rome: Ancient Rome is really my passion (followed closely by ancient Greece and ancient Egypt), and rather than a lot of small books, I can highly recommend this one as an excellent resource for almost all the ancient sites in and close to Rome:

http://www.amazon.com/Rome-White-Guides-Sofia-Pescarin/dp/8880959212/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246122618&sr=1-1

I also like this one, but it is a little drier:

http://www.amazon.com/Rome-Oxford-Archaeological-Guide-Guides/dp/0192880039/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246122618&sr=1-9

Pompeii: You didn't mention Pompeii, but in case you are interested (or others are) there is also a White Star guide for this site, and I'd rate it highly as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Pompeii-White-Star-Guides-Archaeology/dp/8854001244/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246122618&sr=1-2

Greece: Here I like the Oxford guide. Some prefer the Blue Guide series, but I think this book offers more detail on most sites of archeological interest. Includes Athens (of course), Mycenae, Epidavros, Corinth & Acrocorinth, Nafplion, Olympia, Delphi, and more. It does not include Knossos, Delos, Akrotiri (Santorini).

http://www.amazon.com/Greece-Oxford-Archaeological-Guide-Guides/dp/0192880586/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246123841&sr=1-4

Priene: The book I purchased on site is "Priene, Miletus, Didyma by Suzan Bayhan, copyright 2008. I see some older editions available on Amazon used.

Ephesus: As I said, I loaned this one out, but I believe it was a later edition of this book. Just make sure you get a relatively recent edition so that it includes updated info on the Terrace Houses.

http://www.amazon.com/Ephesus/dp/9757559482/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246124548&sr=1-3

Knossos: I haven't gotten to Knossos yet, but if I was going, I'd probably buy this guide:

http://www.amazon.com/Knossos-Complete-Guide-Palace-Minos/dp/960213142X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246124737&sr=1-2

Running out of time now....more to come later!

Was browsing a book on Turkey; I'm thinking I need to need 2 weeks traveling around Turkey some time. On a cruise, it's impossible to do justice to all a place like Turkey has to offer on just 1 or 2 port stops.

When I was overlanding in Greece, I may a lot of travelers who'd just returned from Turkey. The story was always the same--something to the tune of: "Turkey has more Greek ruins than Modern Greece, and they're far less ruined."

I did just that this spring and I can wholeheartedly recommend it. If you like ruins, you'll be in heaven. Seeing Troy was a dream for me, but there were many other wonderful sites along the coast as well: Pergamon, Hierapolis, and of course the already mentioned Ephesus, Priene, Miletus, Didyma, etc. I didn't get to Aphrodisias, just didn't have the time, as I also wanted to spend several days in Cappadocia.

I also highly recommend the Archaeological Museum in Istanbul -- wonderful stuff.

For Athens, the American School of Classical Studies at Athens publishes a great series of illustrated pamphlets on the Agora, including a 48p guide (http://www.ascsa.edu.gr/index.php/publications/browse-by-series/agora-picture-books) for$3-$5 each, available through David Brown publishers in the US to which the ASCSA website links.

Thanks for digging up all the references CruiseMom. I appreciate it. Thanks also Bob K.

CruiseMom, your Turkey trip sounds lovely. Any chance you got to Cappadocia as well? Another place cruise line passengers probably never get to see.

If I ever do a cruise with a port stop in Istanbul, what sites can I get to on a port stop? One itinerary somewhere does an overnight in Istanbul. Port overnights were what first attracted me to cruising--I got spoiled on my very first cruise with NCL to Hawaii. There were two overnights--one in Maui and one in Kawaii. It was then that I thought "this is *the* way to travel. Very port intensive itinerary with no sea days. The ship is a nice bonus, but for me it's all about discovery at the ports and beyond.

Mike

If I ever do a cruise with a port stop in Istanbul, what sites can I get to on a port stop? One itinerary somewhere does an overnight in Istanbul.

Mike

Hi, Mike, the port is a 10-minute tram ride away from the main tourist sights; the tram runs along the street right outside the port gates and is modern and efficient. All of the major sights are grouped close together at the Sultanahmet tram stop: Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Hippodrome and Basilica Cistern. Two more tram stops to the Grand Bazaar. Very easy city to tour on your own, with friendly people and fresh, healthy food.

CruiseMom, your Turkey trip sounds lovely. Any chance you got to Cappadocia as well? Another place cruise line passengers probably never get to see.

If I ever do a cruise with a port stop in Istanbul, what sites can I get to on a port stop? One itinerary somewhere does an overnight in Istanbul. Port overnights were what first attracted me to cruising--I got spoiled on my very first cruise with NCL to Hawaii. There were two overnights--one in Maui and one in Kawaii. It was then that I thought "this is *the* way to travel. Very port intensive itinerary with no sea days. The ship is a nice bonus, but for me it's all about discovery at the ports and beyond.

Mike

Yes, I did a 3-day tour into Cappadocia and it was just outstanding. I seem to remember that you like photography, and there are wonderful photo ops here. I did a balloon ride one morning to really see all the "fairy chimneys" -- one of the most memorable things I've ever seen.

In terms of Istanbul, as CintiPam says, it's easy to get to most sights in the city itself. The site of ancient Troy is not far away, but I'm not sure it's possible with just one overnight, as the cruise ships that do this often arrive around noon one day and depart around noon on the second day. Perhaps you could look for a cruise that starts or ends in Istanbul and go from there...

• 1 month later...

Thanks CruiseMom. I purchased several of your book recommendations:

* Knossos - A Complete Guide to the Palace of Minos (Paperback)

by Anna Michailidou; 2000 edition I believe

* Ephesus (English) (Paperback)

by Naci Keskin - 2001 edition I believe

* Rome (White Star Guides) (Paperback) by Sofia Pescarin - 2007 edition

Would love to visit Pompeii, but don't think I'll really have time. I'll toss my coin into the Trevi Fountain and hope for a return--not just to Rome, but Italy itself.

Also bought:

The Acropolis (Archaeological Guides) (Paperback)

by Manolis Andronicos

There was a Blue Guide specifically for Athens, but couldn't find it an affordable price.

I didn't get the Priene / Didyma / Miletus because I'm not sure I should cover any more than Ephesus and the Terrace Houses in one day. Wouldn't it be a bit hectic otherwise? Plenty to keep me detained and interested at Ephesus itself for the day?

Anyone have a site book recommendation for Mt Etna / Taormina in Sicily?

Since I was on a book-buying binge, I also got a few bios of Thomas Jefferson, as well as a collection of letters between Jefferson and John Adams / Abigail Adams--I am completely enthralled by all things Jefferson, having just returned from a visit to Monticello. Fabulous. Only a 4 hr drive away for me--I'll surely be back for more in the future.

I didn't get the Priene / Didyma / Miletus because I'm not sure I should cover any more than Ephesus and the Terrace Houses in one day. Wouldn't it be a bit hectic otherwise? Plenty to keep me detained and interested at Ephesus itself for the day?

Ekol has a tour that includes Ephesus and at least 2 of the 3 sites I visited. However, it makes for quite a long day, and I agree that focusing on Ephesus and the Terrace Houses is probably more rewarding than trying to cram in too much.

Also, related to an earlier question you asked about Istanbul -- since you appear to be quite interested in history and archeology, I strongly recommend you visit the Archeological museum in Istanbul (next to Topkapi Palace); it's got a LOAD of wonderful objects cherry-picked from the top archeological sites in Turkey.

And if you have time in Istanbul (I think you have an overnight there), a visit to Chora church and a walk along the ancient city walls (the most intact section is near Chora, you can even climb up on some of the towers) is well worth it.

Ekol has a tour that includes Ephesus and at least 2 of the 3 sites I visited. However, it makes for quite a long day, and I agree that focusing on Ephesus and the Terrace Houses is probably more rewarding than trying to cram in too much.

Also, related to an earlier question you asked about Istanbul -- since you appear to be quite interested in history and archeology, I strongly recommend you visit the Archeological museum in Istanbul (next to Topkapi Palace); it's got a LOAD of wonderful objects cherry-picked from the top archeological sites in Turkey.

And if you have time in Istanbul (I think you have an overnight there), a visit to Chora church and a walk along the ancient city walls (the most intact section is near Chora, you can even climb up on some of the towers) is well worth it.

Thanks CruiseMom. Sadly, Istanbul isn't a port stop on my forthcoming cruise. Would be a lovely place to visit, being a crossroads of civilizations and cultures. That will have to come in the future. I've noticed there are a few cruises that depart from and/or originate in Athens / Istanbul. Will have to book one of those in future, planning to do 2-3 days pre / post cruise in each.

Archived