Castaway Cay Adult Beach Food/Snorkel

vakamalua

We plan to use the adult beach during our day on Castaway Cay (first time there without kids). :)

I know there is a bar there but do you have to go back to the main beach area to get lunch? Or is there somewhere to eat close by?

Also, can you snorkel off the adult beach? If so, how is it? Many fish?

Thanks.

There is a barbecue area right by the adult beach. It's been two years since my cruise, but they had burgers, chicken, fish, fruit, soda, chips, etc. Smaller than the main family area, but everything you need is there...no need to go all the way back. :)

The adult side had better food

this is the menu

Salad and tropical fruit

Hamburgers hot dogs

ribeye steaks

rotisserie chicken

cajun mahimahi

BBQ pork ribs

ice cream cookies and cakes.......

As far as snorkeling the adult beach is very shallow for a long ways out. We went to the family side and it was great. They have a section just for snorkeling and they have tons of stuff to see. An old sub from 20,000 leagues. a tug boat, bunch of anchors and some man made reefs. Lot of fish and one barracuda. And look for Mickey and Minnie......

We found the food lines to be really long at the adult beach because they are not set up for a large turnout like the main beach has. Also, there were not enough picnic tables so people were waiting with food in hand for an opening, then pounced. However, the beach, water, and "away from it all" setting make it a great place to spend the day. Also, somebody once posted on this board that lobster tails could be served there from time to time, but no luck on that count for us.

from what I remember fo the adult beach it was shallow, rocky and lots of seaweed. I don't think it was good for snorkeling. My personal impression was that the adult beach was a great place to relax in the sun and enjoy the quiet but not so much for water sports.

It's just a more gradual grading, but it does get deep by the rope boundaries. The rockiness is only close to the shore and the seaweed accumulation seemed to be heaviest on the left as you face the water. I've snorkled farther out without any problems. Having said that, the family beach has areas specifically developed for snorkeling, so it may be preferable.

I do miss the lobster sandwiches though.

My daughter and I snorkeled on the family side last August and thought it was the worst snorkelling we had ever done! Mostly grassy weeds and few fish, we did find Minnie, but that's it.. sounds like a completely different experience then the person above had...

My daughter and I snorkeled on the family side last August and thought it was the worst snorkelling we had ever done! Mostly grassy weeds and few fish, we did find Minnie, but that's it.. sounds like a completely different experience then the person above had...

We saw a bunch of sunken boats and stuff, and we did see Minnie and Mickie, but not too many fish, which is why we snorkel. So it was kind of disappointing for us too.

There is a nice bar at the adult beach; they even serve the "drink of the day" special there. We saw the barbeque, but did not eat there, since we had already eaten at the other area. There appeared to be adequate seating for the amount of people there. We hung out at the adult beach for a couple of hours. It was not crowded at all and was very relaxing. We intended to snorkel there, but the water was a bit rough due to it being a windy day so we decided against it. However, we did see a nurse shark AND a barracuda from shore! People got really excited, including us - we ran to the shoreline to get a better look. We did snorkel at the family beach earlier in the day. We saw a few fish, not many, and also saw the sunken pot. Disney has some interesting items placed in the water for you to find. There is a large net put there to keep the large and dangerous fish out, since it is the family area. We also took the catamaran snorkel adventure at Nassau (booked thru Disney). We saw tons and tons of fish, since we were over a coral reef and they also threw out bread to attract fish. We loved it!

I have not been to Casaway Cay (21 days to go) but have snorkeled alot. If you are over grass beds go very slow and look for small sand trails. Rays are like deer and follow the same paths over and over. You can also spot nurseries in the grass. The tiny baby tropical hang out in the grass to hide from predators. Usually you can find crabs in the grass too. The main thing is to go very slowly so you don't scare anything off. Grass bed can be great snorkels if you are patient.

Archived