Why do we HAVE to use porters?

And, Aurelius, I do thank you.

I thought this turned in to an interesting conversation and I certainly learned something from it.

One thing I'm still unsure on, though, is the exact definition of the guys who take the luggage from our cars and load them on a rack. I do not think they are longshoremen or stevedores. Having consulted Wikipedia, I still think porter is the best description.

....and I certianly do not believe the porters make 6 figures. ;)

No problem.

It would certainly not be unusual for a union to require the division of a job. One group to receive luggage and another to load, i.e. "porter" and "longshoreman." It would serve to increase the ranks and therefore bargaining power. :cool:

Just a question....When we were on Legend out of Tampa (Feb. '09), we were not allowed to bring our own luggage into the terminal. AND the porter did wait for a tip to bring it in, my husband and I fumbled to find some dollar bills - definately didn't feel he deserved a $10 or $20 bill to walk 10 feet. Is it a security thing??:( I do remember wheeling it in on previous cruises.

My husband and I are very careful how we pack and as a result have very little luggage when cruising. We walk off with our luggage on disembarkation day so we could certainly walk on IF ALLOWED but I realize that isn't an option. My point is that we could place our own luggage wherever it is needed again, IF ALLOWED, but instead you are required to give it to a porter who can, at his/her own discretion, hold up your luggage if not tipped properly. This isn't my interpretation alone of what is going on but MANY, MANY others who have posted this. I always carry money to tip because I know it has to be done and I have the money to do so but at times resent having to do so ESPECIALLY when "no tipping required" signs are posted. I feel that this is simply a way for RCCL or any other cruise line to pay bottom wages and rely on passengers to supplement via tips. That said, it certainly will not spoil my cruise.

If you have an issue with a porter...they wear large identification numbers on them! Report to the cruise line. The porters are paid hourly by the Stevedoring Company. A company that is hired by the cruise lines. The Ports have nothing to do with the cruise lines operations or Porters.

I have no problem with tipping at the piers....I always do. I must admit that I wouldn't like to lift my often-heavy bag up into the nearly full cart...and I don't have a problem with paying a man to do it for me. What I resent is the "extortive" atmosphere..."pay me or you may not get your luggage."

I believe the discussion in the post was being prepared when traveling...not the method one uses.

The difference between "tourist" and "traveler" is huge.......

"The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see." -G.K. Chesterton

"The traveler was active; he went strenuously in search of people' date=' of adventure, of experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. He goes "sight-seeing." -Daniel J. Boorstin[/quote']

any quotes or ideas of your own? I can google up 2 or 3 dozen quotes too if you like! :rolleyes:

And, Aurelius, I do thank you.

I thought this turned in to an interesting conversation and I certainly learned something from it.

One thing I'm still unsure on, though, is the exact definition of the guys who take the luggage from our cars and load them on a rack. I do not think they are longshoremen or stevedores. Having consulted Wikipedia, I still think porter is the best description.

....and I certianly do not believe the porters make 6 figures. ;)

Not sure what happens else where but in SFO they are longshoreman who get paid overtime to do the work of porters when needed by the cruise lines......its just a part time gig that prolly should be done by minimum waged temp employees who would normally get tips along with their wage but of course....the union prevents this so their members will get paid double time or time and a half plus any tips they can extort from pax...

all of these excessive wages just go to increase the cost of your cruise......and people want to tip them as well???? :rolleyes:

No' date=' I know what I'm talking about. I read....

Thats debateable....

Those at ports who load and unload luggage are members of the International Lonshore and Warehouse Union, ALF-CIO. They are hired and paid by the local city and county governments.

They are not "porters" but rather, stevedores and longshoremen who work at the ports around the country. Some work the passengers terminals, others the cargo terminals and still others cross over. In all, over 110,000 are employeed by the Port of Miami.

They are longshoreman performing the duties of a porter..

ILWU is a huge and powerful union that can bring any port to it's knees with a work stoppage......

Disgusting but true....

"Porter" is more defined as a person hired to handle luggage...like a skycap or a bellman at a hotel or similar. Longshoremen certainly don't fit that description.

Yes...those longshoreman handle our luggage while they perform the duties of a porter....its not that hard a concept to grasp...let me know if you need further clarification! :rolleyes:

One other thing; I believe we can have an adult debate here without snarky remarks....what do you think?

I think things are fine the way they are....

any questions???? LOL :cool:

Not sure what happens else where but in SFO they are longshoreman who get paid overtime to do the work of porters when needed by the cruise lines......its just a part time gig that prolly should be done by minimum waged temp employees who would normally get tips along with their wage but of course....the union prevents this so their members will get paid double time or time and a half but any tips they can extort from pax...

all of these excessive wages just go to increase the cost of your cruise......and you want to tip them as well???? :rolleyes:

The best part is that the west coast and east coast longshoreman are represented by two seperate unions within the AFL-CIO, further driving up costs. :rolleyes:

The description of the work they are performing certainly fits with "porter" but in most U.S. ports they are longshoremen doing the work of a porter, but being paid as a longshoremen (often overtime rates) because of their union's influence.

The description of the work they are performing certainly fits with "porter" but in most U.S. ports they are longshoremen doing the work of a porter, but being paid as a longshoremen (often overtime rates) because of their union's influence.

EXACTLY the reason them expecting or asking for tips is extortion! Not that that isn't expected when having any dealings with unions...pretty much standard operating procedures...:rolleyes:

EXACTLY the reason them expecting or asking for tips is extortion! Not that that isn't expected when having any dealings with unions...pretty much standard operating procedures...:rolleyes:

Much like our local Firefighters Union here in MA:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/06/30/with_new_law_closing_a_loophole_boston_firefighters_race_to_retire_by_tomorrow/

Sorry to post off-topic.

I saw that and laughed. Since when is a grandma a he!

As you probably know, it's very easy to rev up an engine---make it roar like a lion, but if the transmission isn't in a gear, the car isn't going anywhere.:D:D

you guys do too much work...I pull up to the curb, pop open the trunk, hand the tip out the window, say thanks and go park....nothing to it...

coming home, we get a porter, describe our luggage, he helps us find it, he carries it and loads it in the car...i tip him and say thank you very much...

a perfect system...

walk to the port and carry your own bag....sheesh...i am on my vacation...you lucky if i carry my own drink!:cool:

Ah' date=' but the difference is --- I don't have to google them.......:D:D[/quote']

P-r-o-b-a-b-l-y......

Definitions of probably on the Web:

• with considerable certainty; without much doubt

Did you have to Google that? :rolleyes:

I always figured anyone who touches my heavy luggage deserves a tip. I also look at it this way, the person taking your luggage can rip off your luggage tags and/or ship label if they want to get nasty. Then when you don't receive your luggage that evening, you have to go down and look for it in a certain area and spend your time looking for it when you could be enjoying your cruise with a drink in hand or whatever. It's worth a few extra bucks to me for that type of insurance as you may call it, it only turns out to be a small .25% of my cruise cost.

I did find it rude one time in Miami when the guy took my luggage, I tipped him and then he counted the money in front of me. That was very tacky in my opinion. They can seem a little on the greedy side, but I never had someone stand there holding their hand out waiting for a tip, at least not yet!:D

Archived