anyone else sewing for their cruise ?

Cozzette2

I have been searching for the perfect maxi dress and the ones I really liked were so unaffordable I got discouraged. Then last night at the fabric store looking for fabric for curtains [which we never found ] I came across this great batik fabric and though hello, I sew so why am I even considering a dress for over $50 when I get exactly what I want for $20. These are the same looking patterns that I made back in high school so I know what a cinch they are to make. I am on a roll now, so many beautiful fabrics, so few sea days.

Anyone else doing some sewing for their cruise, if so, what are you making?

I think even the style of tops is a pretty easy pattern and I will probably do a few tops as well. Any seamstresses out there?

I have been searching for the perfect maxi dress and the ones I really liked were so unaffordable I got discouraged. Then last night at the fabric store looking for fabric for curtains [which we never found ] I came across this great batik fabric and though hello, I sew so why am I even considering a dress for over $50 when I get exactly what I want for $20. These are the same looking patterns that I made back in high school so I know what a cinch they are to make. I am on a roll now, so many beautiful fabrics, so few sea days.

I think even the style of tops is a pretty easy pattern and I will probably do a few tops as well. Any seamstresses out there?

Thye only sewing I am doing is taking in my pants but using a basting stich so I can let them out after a week of cruising.

Judee

If something was popular and you wore it in high school, then it's really too young for you now! Maxi- dress----flash-back to the 60's!!!!!

Now who came up with that stupid rule? I am still 18 until I catch myself in the mirror owch :D No really I am making some maxi dresses, the cute trapeeze dresses, well, I will have to pass on those darn it.

You name it, I've probably made it at one time or another but I sew very little if at all anymore.

I can get clothes much cheaper on sale than I can make them. The price of patterns is ridiculous and they print 3 sizes on one now which can be near impossible to follow. Another issue I have with patterns is the sizing is wacko. None of my measurements correspond to the sizes so finding a pattern that fits properly without tons of alterations is frustrating. If you're making something simple without much detail and tailoring it's not so bad.

I can't say I'm impressed with the selections of fabrics either. When I find a good fabric (higher priced) combined with the cost of the patterns and notions, it's just not worth it to me anymore.

In the last couple of years I have made a few things but only because I was able to get fabric(at a good price) that is in a ready to wear brand of clothing I wear. I can make a little skirt for maybe $35 that sells for $178 so in that instance, it's worth it.

Sorry to go off on such a rant so to speak because I used to love to sew but there are just too many issues these days for me. The sales in the stores are just too good, as an example; a silk Banana Republic dressy/cocktail dress for $18.....a pattern cost that much.:D

OP, if it's all "working" for you....GREAT...go for it. Have fun and enjoy what you make.:)

If something was popular and you wore it in high school, then it's really too young for you now! Maxi- dress----flash-back to the 60's!!!!!

BULL! A maxi dress is nothing but a dress down to the ankles. It does not have to be strapless, is does not have to have spaghetti straps. There are different styles for all ages. There are some that are sleeveless with a v-neck, like tank top style, or a very short sleeve. Any of them can also be worn with a shrug or bolero style cardigan over it. With any style of any clothing item, you just have to know the difference between dressing "youthful" vs. dressing too young.

Now, with regard to the OP's original question, the most sewing I do is a button or a slightly ripped seam. My mom had a sewing machine for many, many years, then finally sold it.

Good for you! They can be flattering on a lot of shapes and sizes even "if we did wear them back in high school". :rolleyes:

Post a picture when you get one finished. I'd love to see it.:) In answer to your original question, I only sew costumes for the kids these days.

I have a big rolling plastic organizer filled with fabric. Every few months I think, "I'm going to sew something this week!", and I never do.:p

So thanks for reminding me ... I'm going to haul out some fabric and patterns tonight. We're getting to the time of year around here where it is too hot to do much in the evening (other than hang out in a pool or have a rum something!), so it is a good time for me to go back to my crafts.

That said, I have some great fabric for handbags, so that's probably where I'll start.

I stopped sewing clothes years ago, but I still love to sew. Recently, I machine pieced a quilt and I am now in the process of hand quilting it.

I make a lot of purses and tote bags, but quilting is my passion.

Melinda

I know that this is a sewing thread, but I thought I would throw this out for the people looking for maxi dresses. I found two at TJ Maxx for 19 and 24 dollars that originally went for 75 and 96. :cool:

Remember that dress that the cute red headed poster had on in a siggie picture? The block colored one that everyone loved? I got one almost exactly like it (just different colors) for 15 dollars!

I agree that patterns are unbelievably expensive. However, at Jo Ann's they have a different pattern company on sale once a month so you can get your pattern on sale for $.99. If you pay the regular prices for fabric and pattern it is cheaper sometimes to just buy it. If I can't find what I am looking for and can get a sale then it is worth it to sew. I guess it is kind of a lost art. My stepdaughter never even took sewing in school.

With the difference in sizes on patterns I will usually use some old scrap stuff to make the bodice or anything fitted to make a better fitted template before I cut into my fabric and then it doesn't fit right. A little more work but usually I get something that fits my body just right.

I was out with my daughter looking for fabric the other day, and lo and behold, a lady had a roll of that fabric that is elastic smocked across one side and only needing one seam, just like back in the day! She was making a dress for her granddaughter, I should have grabbed some and made a coverup for my daughter, she is always needing a new one. :rolleyes: We have access to lots of fabric wholesalers here, now that my grandson is getting older I have more time to sew. I made him a patchwork blanket to take to preschool, made out of various animal prints (zebra, giraffe, cheetah and tiger) and backed it with a safari print. I used to sew much more than I do now, I agree that it is becoming a lost art. Now I am wondering if I can whip up a cute maxi dress for the Fourth, we are going to the beach and a pool party....hmmmmm....maybe I need to go shopping tomorrow. :)

I agree that patterns are unbelievably expensive. However, at Jo Ann's they have a different pattern company on sale once a month so you can get your pattern on sale for $.99. If you pay the regular prices for fabric and pattern it is cheaper sometimes to just buy it. If I can't find what I am looking for and can get a sale then it is worth it to sew. I guess it is kind of a lost art. My stepdaughter never even took sewing in school.

With the difference in sizes on patterns I will usually use some old scrap stuff to make the bodice or anything fitted to make a better fitted template before I cut into my fabric and then it doesn't fit right. A little more work but usually I get something that fits my body just right.

And if you haven't signed up for their email newsletter, do so. There is often a xx% off coupon for a 'regular' priced item. One piece of cut fabric qualifies. So, get the pattern for $2, fabric half off .. and yes, I'll be sewing a large portion of my cruise wardrobe!!

I'd love to try to sew at least a new swimsuit cover-up for our next cruise. I bought a simple dress pattern with a tie neckline (kinda trapeze dress) and I found some lightweight knit fabric on sale. All the swimsuit cover-up I see are either see-through, too short or too long. I had thought that we would be in a new home by now and I could set up a sewing area in a spare bedroom, but it hasn't happened yet.

I can't wear maxi-dresses, too short and fat, I make it look like a mumu.

I go through sewing/crafting phases. Clothes, quilting, freehand machine embroidery, wire jewelry, resin jewelry, cake decorating, but I should go back to clothes for a while and then finish some quilting.

I do sew on occasion...usually clothing that I can't find in the stores!! :p I made a cotton crinkle wrap to wear with a sundress on my last cruise. I also brought it and wore it to Downtown Disney the night I went to Cirque du Soliel (and was happy to have it to keep the rain off and the A/C on the bus from freezing me!).

The only other thing I can think of I sewed recently to wear was a pair of simple pants to wear with a beaded sweater I bought and couldn't find what I wanted to match it!! Coupons for Joanne's and a place that has some discounted fabrics help keep the costs down!! :)

Yippeeee I just got a 40% coupon at Jo Ann's for the 4th.

A few years ago my sister in law had brought me back some gorgeous red raw silk from India and I hung onto it for a few years until I decided what to do with it. I was afraid to cut into it and decide later I should have used it for something else. I used it for the last cruise and made a long skirt with a short bolero style jacket. I wore it with a black silk bustier. It is so gorgeous. If I had purchased that outfit in a store it would have been unaffordable. I just hope I can get back into it for the next cruise. Now there is a goal:D

Cozzette2, Good for you! When you sew your own clothes, you know someone else is not going to waltz in wearing your dress and make your evening awkward. That red raw silk outfit sounds gorgeous; you should post a pic of you wearing it on the "Post a Picture of Your Dress" thread.

I do sew, but now its mostly costumes and alterations and mending. (Recently have made 2 native american regalia outfits of pigsuede and elk hide, male and female Tudor type clothing, 2 "gates of hell" 1300's dresses with under dresses, and all hats, beading, etc to accessorize all. I am working on a Italian Rennaissance dress now.) It is just easier and faster to buy the normal wearing stuff. Instant gratification, I guess.

Plus the light weight fabrics for the fancy dresses I love to wear on cruises is much more difficult to sew on than the heavy, coarser stuff , IMO, so that's a consideration for me too.

Betty

For our cruise in Feb '09 I made small totes for us girls just big enough to hold a book, bottle of water, reading classes and sun screen. They were a big hit. I didn't sew any clothes but I have an embroidery machine so I picked up a few inexpensive girls t-shirts and embroidered on them so that I had an embroidered shirt for each day of the cruise.

Of course I sew new outfits for my cruises. For my last cruise I made a couple of tunics for casual days, a couple of dressy tops for dinner and a couple of pairs of pants.

Sewing isn't about saving money any more. People sew to be creative and have an outfit that's unique. I can make a pair of pants faster than I can drive to mall and find a pair that fits.

I couldn't sew two ends of a burlap bag shut, :D but I sure admire people who have the talent for sewing and being so creative.. As for it not being cost effective...I think it is more about being creative and enjoying one's craft and talent.

Oh, how I love to sew! Ya'll are right that for everyday clothing it is cheaper to buy off the rack, but for special clothing, sewing is the answer! For cruises I too usually make our 'gang' tote bags. Always with some crazy theme that seems to be going on with us.

We have a Baltic's cruise coming up next year and I stumbled onto some fabric that is old ocean liner posters and those old travel stickers that were put on baggage. It's perfect!

We have been on a wine tasting kick lately and Joanne's had some fabric lately with corks and corkscrews. Now how are ya' gonna find that anywhere else.

In the past I have made a lot of wrap skirts for cruising. They pack absolutely flat and are so cool to wear. Found a particularly great piece of fabric (you sewing addicts know what I mean about fabric - it's like shoes to some women) that was a border print. The border was a Caribbean theme and had great bananas, beach and surf scenes. I always get compliments on it. I had "grown" out of it but now I've lost 28 pounds it should fit - think I'll take it next week on the Ecstasy.

Most of my sewing now days is actually for my grandbabies and fun accessories for around the house, totes and pillows. Although I have done all the Roman shades in my house and several friends. There are times when you wish you could tell them "gee, why don't you call Budget Blinds" but a sewer's gotta do what a sewer's gotta do.

Happy stitcing

I do costuming. (previously 1540's and now 1860's...considering 1812 as well) but I don't sew regular stuff.

I'm waiting until my weight stabilizes, then I'm going to learn how to couture sew. I have two wonderful stashes in my closet of wool/cashmere blends and my cunning plan is to make suits that fit and are far better quality than I could afford in a store! For the pants in particular, I plan to take patterns from existing garments. The last time I tried a muslin from a commercial pattern, the pants didn't look at all like I thought they would. I have already figured out how to alter for the bust. (slashing in a cross shape and adding inches both horizontally and vertically without touching the shoulder or side seams.)

I may take a class. There is so much I don't know.

Archived