What to expect at the airport (YQB)

:) if your flight leaves at 6:00 am for Newark what time should we be there? I have heard that you go thru immigration in Canada and not in Newark so time should be alloted before the flight...help!

There is no US preclearance at Quebec City, so you will clear when you land back in Newark. YQB isn't a major airport, so it won't have a thousand people trying to clear security at that hour. But it also doesn't have a huge amount of staff to do the security, so the few flights leaving first thing could still cause some lines.

Have not been through that particular airport, but it is still considered to be an International flight; guideliines are 2 hours prior to your flight. We'd be there at 3 am, but that's just us. Better early than late! Trust us, we've done the "late" and it is very stressful!

I would suggest arriving at 4:30 just to be sure. I was there at 4 for a 6 am flight and easily had about an hour to spare but still, you don't want to cut it too close just in case there are more flights that morning.

Also, I don't know if it's true but I also read somewhere that they can give your seat to someone else if it's an overbooked flight and you check in less than 60 minutes from departure time.

:) thankyou ...it is considered an international flight but you will clear customs in Quebec City and won't see our bags til we arrive in Tampa...We called our hotel and was advised the airport is 15 to 20 yes it is early however, maybe do delays getting out since it is the first flight of the day from the originating city...

I would suggest arriving at 4:30 just to be sure. I was there at 4 for a 6 am flight and easily had about an hour to spare but still, you don't want to cut it too close just in case there are more flights that morning.

Also, I don't know if it's true but I also read somewhere that they can give your seat to someone else if it's an overbooked flight and you check in less than 60 minutes from departure time.

:)I spoke with 2 different Continental employees their toll free number and they assured me the bags go thru to tampa...I wonder if there is a telephone # for general info at YQB?

DanJ (post #2) said there is no pre-clearance for the US at that airport. So who is right? :confused:

YQB has no pre-clearance.

I knew you'd know for sure. :)

I spoke with 2 different Continental employees their toll free number and they assured me the bags go thru to tampa...I wonder if there is a telephone # for general info at YQB?

OK' date=' now I know what they were saying to you: the bags will be [b']TAGGED[/b] all the way to Tampa. You will still have to collect them in Newark and go through U.S. Customs and Immigration.

Every single time we have flown between Canada and the U.S., the bags come off at the first point of entry and were expected to go through Customs and Immigration with us, even if we were not at our final destination. Did that just two months ago flying from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal, and our final destination was Vancouver. If they have reason to suspect something of someone, they need to have the luggage right there, available to physically search.

Trust me, I would almost bet my children on this... (well, not really!), but you will have to get your bags in Newark, go through C&I, and then physically put them on a conveyor belt or something to send them on to Tampa (they are already tagged, right? No big deal here.). There will be signs stating where your bags have to go as you are a connecting passenger.

I called newark airport and spoke with an officer at customs and immigration...yes, my fellow posters you are correct...bags will be tagged to Tampa. pick them at baggage claim, go thru customs and immigration, walk down the ramp to the left, give it to a Continental employee and he will re-route them to Tampa...Proceed up the elevator, go thru security and go to the depature gate ...that is how it has worked for many years when I arrive from Europe however, I was under the impression the U.S. had a special arrangemnt with Canada..sorry for all the confusion but I do hope this info is helpful for others..:)

I was under the impression the U.S. had a special arrangemnt with Canada..

They do' date=' but only at certain airports. As YQB only has a limited number of US-bound flights (EWR, ORD and DTW I think are the only airports with regular direct flights), they do not have US pre-clearance.[/color']

YQB is a lovely, small airport. It's easy to navigate, and recently renovated; you should have no problems arriving at 4:30 for a 6am flight.

YQB is a lovely, small airport. It's easy to navigate, and recently renovated; you should have no problems arriving at 4:30 for a 6am flight.

Well, there you go. Confirmation from someone who lives there. :)

We loved Quebec City when we stopped there last September, and can't wait to go back.

Archived