Alaska 6/19

Napi's Mom

Contrary to the othe review I just read, we found the cruise to be exceptional. Having come from the 1/18/09 cruise NZ/Aus. to this cruise with great anticipation with the "refreshment" drydock, and were Not disappointed with any of the service. There were some things at first seemed strange...as spray & smears on every service available, but it was explained if one took the time to ask about it. The dreaded Noro has been following this itinerary and the only way to disinfect the ship was to clean off every surface with BLEACH sprayed on and left for 48 hrs! IT looked messy but as soon as possible it was polished up...until a few cases of the virus showed up and the spraying returned. IT was for OUR safety, regradless of how it looked!

The first evening the HUGE change surfaced...the food on our 1/18 cruise was NOT GOOD in any way. On this cruise, the 2nd week into the new menu, we had a hard time deciding what to choose for dinner..it all looked so appitizing, and actually WAS after eating it. The only things I could say didn't please me were "adventures" in dining that I chose myself & found wasn't to my liking, to no fault of Chef. Marvelous meals, head & shoulders about the food served in January. The meat was a very good quality. I can't say enough about how pleased we were with the new menus! Generous portions surprised me, couldn't finish the 12oz sirloin after all the previous courses. We ate in Buffet for Breakfast only, was disappionted the old long lines were still there but will be soon fixed I understand. It is a LONG way around to find the various items you may wish to select!

Also, as we were in 6004, we were disappointed to learn that the Spa Cafe is no longer serving hot meals, and at breakfast they had pastries, fruit and coffee only. We had hoped to avoid that extreamly LOOOONG walk down those endless halls to the food area of the ship (My sister said she swore the ship grew 40' longer every day!) Remember 6004 is about the farthest "fore" cabin on the ship!!

Our service in every area was supurb (We informed our attendant that we had a anniversary , our 48th, on Wed. of the cruise...jokingly asked where our champaigne was we had CC on last cruise, and was informed that was only for CC...DH said, can't you find some for our anniverary. Well Sunday we had a bottle and cheese trays, but told him our anniversary wasn't until WED. I kept expecting that bottle to show upon our Onboard account...never did...and wonders of wondrs...ANOTHER bottle showed up ON our anniversary!!!) Our attendants were never seen. but the room was impecable "like magic" unless we needed them, any request was instantly met.

Our tours were excellent but only 2 were from the cruiseline....the Icy Strait Tram & Cultural tour, which was quite a long ride on tram...0ver fairly rough roads, can't believe those who suggested it should be walked had actually walked it, and the dance show was very good also. The other tour we got thru the ship was the Bering Sea Crab boat tour, in Ketchikan...a WONDERFUL tour, everyone on this tour came away very happy with it and the presenters on the tour...and the EAGLES...25 or more flying around the boat at one time, dipping and diving...awesome!

Just having had such a positive experience, and reading a fairly negative review I decided a quick statement of our views. We go into a cruise with the places we are going, and people we meet formost in our minds...all of these exceeded our expectations, including the newly "Refreshed" Mille...she looks beautiful, our cabin was spotless as was every place we went. As only having 1 other Celebrity cruise I can't be considered a "cheerleader" and wasn't after our last one, but enjoyed all of this one.

Psuedochicken: BE greatful you saw the whales...I watched and waited and NEVER was lucky enough, guess I'll never get to see that Orca!! MAny onboard had gone on Whalewatching cruises and were perhaps not as excited by MORE whales. We're just NOT lucky with whales. I wish the ship had announced that whales had been sighted!:D

Thanks for writing your review! I couldn't agree more. I had a wonderful time on Millennium too. I'm still laughing about some statements in the other review, like "horrendous" buffet lines. What's 3 minutes of waiting when you're on vacation? :D Millennium is definitely the best looking M-class ship right now!

Cheers -

Floris

Contrary to the othe review I just read' date=' we found the cruise to be exceptional. Having come from the 1/18/09 cruise NZ/Aus. to this cruise with great anticipation with the "refreshment" drydock, and were Not disappointed with any of the service. There were some things at first seemed strange...as spray & smears on every service available, but it was explained if one took the time to ask about it. The dreaded Noro has been following this itinerary and the only way to disinfect the ship was to clean off every surface with BLEACH sprayed on and left for 48 hrs! IT looked messy but as soon as possible it was polished up...until a few cases of the virus showed up and the spraying returned. IT was for OUR safety, regradless of how it looked!

[u']The first evening the HUGE change surfaced.[/u]..the food on our 1/18 cruise was NOT GOOD in any way. On this cruise, the 2nd week into the new menu, we had a hard time deciding what to choose for dinner..it all looked so appitizing, and actually WAS after eating it. The only things I could say didn't please me were "adventures" in dining that I chose myself & found wasn't to my liking, to no fault of Chef. Marvelous meals, head & shoulders about the food served in January. The meat was a very good quality. I can't say enough about how pleased we were with the new menus! Generous portions surprised me, couldn't finish the 12oz sirloin after all the previous courses. We ate in Buffet for Breakfast only, was disappionted the old long lines were still there but will be soon fixed I understand. It is a LONG way around to find the various items you may wish to select!

Also, as we were in 6004, we were disappointed to learn that the Spa Cafe is no longer serving hot meals, and at breakfast they had pastries, fruit and coffee only. We had hoped to avoid that extreamly LOOOONG walk down those endless halls to the food area of the ship (My sister said she swore the ship grew 40' longer every day!) Remember 6004 is about the farthest "fore" cabin on the ship!!

Our service in every area was supurb (We informed our attendant that we had a anniversary , our 48th, on Wed. of the cruise...jokingly asked where our champaigne was we had CC on last cruise, and was informed that was only for CC...DH said, can't you find some for our anniverary. Well Sunday we had a bottle and cheese trays, but told him our anniversary wasn't until WED. I kept expecting that bottle to show upon our Onboard account...never did...and wonders of wondrs...ANOTHER bottle showed up ON our anniversary!!!) Our attendants were never seen. but the room was impecable "like magic" unless we needed them, any request was instantly met.

Our tours were excellent but only 2 were from the cruiseline....the Icy Strait Tram & Cultural tour, which was quite a long ride on tram...0ver fairly rough roads, can't believe those who suggested it should be walked had actually walked it, and the dance show was very good also. The other tour we got thru the ship was the Bering Sea Crab boat tour, in Ketchikan...a WONDERFUL tour, everyone on this tour came away very happy with it and the presenters on the tour...and the EAGLES...25 or more flying around the boat at one time, dipping and diving...awesome!

Just having had such a positive experience, and reading a fairly negative review I decided a quick statement of our views. We go into a cruise with the places we are going, and people we meet formost in our minds...all of these exceeded our expectations, including the newly "Refreshed" Mille...she looks beautiful, our cabin was spotless as was every place we went. As only having 1 other Celebrity cruise I can't be considered a "cheerleader" and wasn't after our last one, but enjoyed all of this one.

Psuedochicken: BE greatful you saw the whales...I watched and waited and NEVER was lucky enough, guess I'll never get to see that Orca!! MAny onboard had gone on Whalewatching cruises and were perhaps not as excited by MORE whales. We're just NOT lucky with whales. I wish the ship had announced that whales had been sighted!:D

Thank you for your trip report. My husband and I are looking forward to our cruise Aug. 28. We have cruised with several different lines and we are usually always happy because we do not expect perfection. As long as every thing is clean and we are taken care of we are happy. I am glad you had a great trip.!:)

First off, if you are referring to my review as the negative one, then I'm sorry I gave off that impression. We had a great time and the cruise was very good. It just wasn't the best one we've been on. And I know others felt the same way. We melt folks, from Louisiana I believe, who had been on Celebrity before and told us that their previous cruises (one thru the Panama Canal) were definitely better cruises. We realize that Noro was going around, but I cannot have a biased review based on whether or not a virus is going around. I state the conditions of the ship and the cruise as how they were.

Psuedochicken: BE greatful you saw the whales...I watched and waited and NEVER was lucky enough' date=' guess I'll never get to see that Orca!! MAny onboard had gone on Whalewatching cruises and were perhaps not as excited by MORE whales. We're just NOT lucky with whales. I wish the ship had announced that whales had been sighted!:D[/quote']

I know we were so lucky! We were saying that too each other the entire time we were watching them. I just feel as though the people around us didn't realize the rarity of what was going on. Out of perhaps 50+ people on the decks behind the buffet area on deck 10, perhaps 20 actually got up. And only a handful got up to the railing and watched the whole thing. I am SOOO glad we got to experience that though!

Thanks for writing your review! I couldn't agree more. I had a wonderful time on Millennium too. I'm still laughing about some statements in the other review, like "horrendous" buffet lines. What's 3 minutes of waiting when you're on vacation? :D Millennium is definitely the best looking M-class ship right now!

Cheers -

Floris

3 minutes? Some lines were only that long... But I experienced plenty of buffet lines longer than that on this cruise. I'm simply comparing the buffet to what other buffets I have been to on other cruises. None of them had issues like the Millennium had. But the fact that the staff actually had to hand out the food seemed like it really crimped service. No matter how you slice it, that did affect the experience as a whole when you get frustrated during two meals of the day. But I do prefer standing in line at the buffets for a longer period of time if that means I do not get the Norovirus.

It is no fault of Celebrity's about the virus, I know. But not mentioning that the food service was worse than previous experiences just because of the virus would be an unfair review, in my opinion. I am no way saying the cruise was bad. It was a great vacation.

Thanks for the great review..and to Pseudochicken as well. I think all input is great..and I am looking forward to my 7/10 departure.

We sail out of Vancouver, and have purchased their transfers so we don't have to go through customs. We fly home out of Anchorage....no customs for us!

Getting excited.....:o

Thanks for the great review..and to Pseudochicken as well. I think all input is great..and I am looking forward to my 7/10 departure.

We sail out of Vancouver, and have purchased their transfers so we don't have to go through customs. We fly home out of Anchorage....no customs for us!

Getting excited.....:o

That's nice.

We purchased transfers through Celebrity as well but we had to go through customs. Is that because we flew out of Vancouver?

So you avoid customs because you go right from the Airport to the ship? Is that right?

Have fun in Alaska!

Yes, that is the story..we never take posession of our luggage in VAncouver (so I believe) and we never legally 'enter' Canada..but still need passports etc.

Any recommendation on dressing? Trying how to get 2 teenagers to pack! like pulling teeth...

I am disappointed to learn that the Spa Cafe will not have the usual hot meals, like oatmeal in the morning, nor will have any cold cereals, yougrt, etc.

Reported by Napi's Mom.

If only coffee, juice, fruit and pastries are offered, we will probably pass.

We called it the "Healthy Buffet", but it seems now it is not.:mad:

I enjoyed hearing about the Millie, as we sail on her in Sept.

Also' date=' as we were in 6004, we were disappointed to learn that the Spa Cafe is no longer serving hot meals, and at breakfast they had pastries, fruit and coffee only. We had hoped to avoid that extreamly LOOOONG walk down those endless halls to the food area of the ship [/quote']

Can you elaborate on what the Spa Cafe had at lunch since it no longer serves hot meals? Does it still have sandwiches and salads? Or is it just light snacks of some sort? I am a HUGE breakfast fan :) and after eating a full meal in the morning I was looking forward to being able to get a lighter, healthier meal midday.

Archived