Merida shopping tour

sappygirl

Has anyone done the Merida shopping tour through Carnival lately? What sort of transportation did they have? Did they make frequent stops or was it just a drive? How much time did you have for shopping and was it worth the time? Also was the merchandise reasonably priced? Any info anyone may have on this would be appreciated.:)

The modern and reliable bus service to Merida is a whopping $3.00 pp RT. And you avoid the mob mentality of a tourgroup. Be a traveler rather than a tourist.

I have just started looking for things to do when we go to progresso in December. This sounds like fun and easy to do.

I am a traveler and not a tourist!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We would be shopping for a hat for my DW and maybe some nice guayaberas and maybe a hammock all very good quality, not tourist trash. Maybe even a basket or two, since we are cruising I don't see how we can deal with any pottery so I'll save that....... maybe! lol

Also can you tell me when we would be able to eat at La Tradicion. We would be there mid day, so I wonder what their hours are, we will be there on a Tuesday.

Thanks for your excellent posts and information!

Ben

• 1 year later...

Good lord I need to get on this board more often. I am so sorry I missed this question!! Am I allowed to post my email address on here? I wonder.

A meal at La Tradicion, one of Meridas finest restaurants featuring real, home-cooked Yucatecan food will run you about 3-400 pesos for two people, depending on your drinking habits. It's always the booze that hikes the bill up. La Tradicion is located on Calle (street) 60, almost directly across from the US consulate.

For guayaberas and quality items in the clothing department, I would recommend Presuel downtown in a little shopping area known as Pasaje Picheta, right on the main square. It's inside the shopping area and not visible from the street (Street 61).

For quality non-touristy hammocks, El Aguacate is very good and where many locals shop for theirs. On 58, way past the square and in an area designated as a 'tolerance' zone where hookers are allowed to stand around and display their wares as well. Just so you are not shocked should you go there.

The thing is that besides providing wonderful informational tidbits and the occasional well-deserved tongue-lashing, I also occasionally drive folks around the Yucatan and so adding my email in a post might be correctly construed as advertising. But I will be happy to check for private messages for those folks needing more detailed information on local attractions or businesses.

Thanks! :)

Good lord I need to get on this board more often. I am so sorry I missed this question!! Am I allowed to post my email address on here? I wonder.

A meal at La Tradicion, one of Meridas finest restaurants featuring real, home-cooked Yucatecan food will run you about 3-400 pesos for two people, depending on your drinking habits. It's always the booze that hikes the bill up. La Tradicion is located on Calle (street) 60, almost directly across from the US consulate.

For guayaberas and quality items in the clothing department, I would recommend Presuel downtown in a little shopping area known as Pasaje Picheta, right on the main square. It's inside the shopping area and not visible from the street (Street 61).

For quality non-touristy hammocks, El Aguacate is very good and where many locals shop for theirs. On 58, way past the square and in an area designated as a 'tolerance' zone where hookers are allowed to stand around and display their wares as well. Just so you are not shocked should you go there.

Great information..Thanks...

The thing is that besides providing wonderful informational tidbits and the occasional well-deserved tongue-lashing, I also occasionally drive folks around the Yucatan and so adding my email in a post might be correctly construed as advertising. But I will be happy to check for private messages for those folks needing more detailed information on local attractions or businesses.

I don't know how to send a private message and actually didn't know there was such a thing. We'll be in Merida on Monday, Nov. 1st and also have specific items in mind that we'd like to buy. Would you please email me at mjkunkle@yahoo.com

Thanks! MK

I don't know how to send a private message and actually didn't know there was such a thing. We'll be in Merida on Monday, Nov. 1st and also have specific items in mind that we'd like to buy. Would you please email me at mjkunkle@yahoo.com

Thanks! MK

Great photo and thank you very much. It's now 11 PM and that pic made me hungry. And yes, folks, please be careful with the hot sauce; the habanero chile is one of the hottest in the world and will burn you when you eat it and you will also feel it the next day if you catch my drift. Definitely not for delicate palates. :)

Great photo and thank you very much. It's now 11 PM and that pic made me hungry. And yes, folks, please be careful with the hot sauce; the habanero chile is one of the hottest in the world and will burn you when you eat it and you will also feel it the next day if you catch my drift. Definitely not for delicate palates. :)

Definetly feel it next day but it is so good going down that it is worth it. I stopped bringing home tourist crap a long time ago. But I can always find a bottle or two of a good hot sauce that I have not seen before. My passion is the fresh green habanero sauce made daily by the local cooks. So good, I have raised many an eyebrow by how much I can eat without passing out or bursting into flames.:p

I think this is a good time to remind folks that the food of the Mayas/Yucatan is not typically very spicey. Not like Texmex. The condiments are available to suit your preference. At least, that has been my experience.

Message sent!

As Mr Dawson points out, Yucatecan food has absolutely nothing to do with TexMex food and is a far cry from the rice beans and chicken offerings. Few Yucatecans know what the heck a chimichanga is. And this time of the year (Day of the Dead or Hanal Pixan in the Yucatan) is a time for enjoying Mucbilpollo, a baked (underground if you are purist) tamale made with chicken and pork and other goodies. If you are in town November 1, look for them and eat as much as you can as it will be gone the following week! :)

Archived