Mailing postcards, etc?

DrmnOfMaui

The cost will depend on the country you will be mailing them from. You will have to have the correct amunt of that countries patage stamps on each card and letter. The purser's desk sells stamps on most ships and there is usually a place there to drop outgoing mail. Mail usually has to be deposited a hour or two before sailing to be mailed from that port. The purser's desk usually makes a profit on the sale of stamps. However, unless you are mailing hundreds of cards and letters, it is probably not worth the trouble to find a post office.

A lot depends on what port you're mailing the postcards from. When I visit Key West, San Juan, or St. Thomas, I bring my own US stamps along and either mail from the post office or give to the purser's desk. If there's not a US port on the itinerary, I just buy the stamps from the purser's desk and they mail the postcards.

Roz

Plan on it taking anywhere from a few weeks to several months for the postcard to make it's final destination.

If you do drop the mail in to the box on the ship check with the pursers desk first to make sure that they haven't already cleared the box. Otherwise it will be mailed out the next time that ship is in the same port. If we are sending cards from foreign ports we usually buy the stamps and make out the cards a day ahead on the ship and take them ashore. There's almost always a post box or store where you can drop them. Our only card that never made it were sent from the ship:rolleyes:

If you are on an Eastern Caribbean and stopping at San Juan or St. Thomas your US postage is good.

Charlie

Archived