Rough seas on Eastern Caribbean?

CanWeGoYet?

Just wondering if this route (miami to half moon cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk then back to miami) is especially prone to being rocky. Can't recall having any trouble on the western caribbean I took years back. I will be bringing all my sea sickness meds. Got a nice extended balcony that is aft on deck 6, but maybe I should switch to one more mid ship. Any advice?

Any part of the ocean is "prone" to being rough---or not! It's entirely up to Mother Nature!

We've had seas as smooth as glass, and seas that make it hard to climb the stairs....you can't predict it.

Bring your meds, just in case, but hope for the best!

Just wondering if anyone who has cruised this route knew if I should expect rough water from experience. I know from sailing mexican riviera that the Cabo area is going to be rocky for me. Both cruises, both on the way down & on the way back I felt sick.

All of this really varies by cruise. You might find the ocean on your particular voyage to be extremely calm or you miight have some seas that are a little rough. Now, I have experienced far worse in other areas of the world but we have had some rough seas before.

Yes, I have taken a similar route. And every voyage has been different

So, prepare for that if you are concerned. I recommend trying to get a cabin that is on a lower deck and close to the middle of the ship. And also look into taking something to help with the seas. There are several remedies to consider.

Keith

The roughest seas that I have experienced on a cruise was the one to the Eastern Caribbean. The worst of it occured as we sailed down the Atlantic side of the islands, till the ship moved into the Caribbean enroute to St Thomas. My cabinmate, who is very sensitive to the ship's motion, spent 2 days in bed, even with a Scopalomine patch.

I'm lucky that I am not affected by it, and find the rockin 'n rollin kind of fun.

So pack your seasickness meds just in case, and have a great cruise.

My experience sailing both into and out of San Juan is rocky. It seems like it is about 3-4 hours either before entering the harbor or when exiting it.

Debbie

Thanks to all for the input. I am really looking forward to this cruise & will bring all my sea sickness aids. I may even invest in one of those electronic wrist things, the simple bands really did not seem to do anything for me.

I have been reading about the ginger capsules & see many people with success were taking far more daily than me. So it looks like I need to up the dosage to double what I was doing from my last cruise.

Archived