dress code for men

i am trying to figure out what my husband needs for dinner...i know there

is 1 formal night and i know the dress code for that but what about casual and smart casual?

can my husband wear dress jeans and a polo on casual nights? also what can he wear for smart casual?.....khakis?? or should it be dress pants?

on a 5 night cruise how many casual and smart casual are there?

thanks!!

Hi Mum,

On our recent cruise, I wore a collared shirt and long trousers for the dining room on both the smart casual and casual nights. Many other men who went to MDR wore the same. Never saw jeans in MDR in the evening.

Berwyn

Even though the information from RCCL states 3 levels of dress, our last several cruises have not had a smart casual night. There is another thread today covering this. I do wish RCCL would make all information the same so cruisers can plan accordingly.

Ken

can my husband wear dress jeans and a polo on casual nights? also what can he wear for smart casual?.....khakis?? or should it be dress pants?

Yes this is what our group wears......usually a hawaiian shirt and jeans......not a problem...

We have noticed that smart casual is basically the same......

On our cruise this August on "Indy" out of So'ton I'm planning on wearing a jacket, smart trousers and tailored shirt for the 2 smart casual nights. On the casual nights I'll wear jeans or chino's and always with a crisply ironed long sleeved shirt. Polo shirts I'll keep for the golf course.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

per their website.

I where slacks.

Khaki pants (I haven't seen many jeans) and a polo shirt are standard fare for men in the MDR on casual nights. Smart casual doesn't really exist anymore-- my husband usually wears black pants, a collared, long-sleeved button-down shirt, and a tie, without a jacket, but even that is more dressy than a lot of men on casual nights. And then the tux on formals. Hope this helps!

To answer the OP, from my observations over the last couple years, he can wear jeans and a polo shirt on formal night if he doesn't care. So jeans and a polo on casual night are completely up to you and him. I personally wear khakis and a dressier shirt for casual, dress pants, shirt and tie (usually with sport coat) for smart casual, and tux or better (mess dress uniform) for formal. Why, because I enjoy it, that doesn't make it any more correct than jeans and a polo if you and your husband are okay with that.

There are a lot of folks on here that aren't going to like that, but it's still true.

What part of a jacket & tie is smart CASUAL? I thought smart casual was what one would wear on a golf course.

You must golf on much nicer courses than my friends, they're usually dressed in shorts and t-shirts, polo shirt at best for their golf outings.:D

Smart Casual is "suppose" to be one step up from casual, not golf attire. Again, "suppose" being the keyword people show up wearing everything! My Husband wears khakis and polo shirts for casual nights, dress pants, dress shirt and tie for samrt casual and a tux for formal nights.

Hope this helps! :)

I don't golf but I have family members who do. I thought slacks and a collared shirt was required like something Tiger Woods wears.

I don't golf either, but I've seen their pictures, and even for a group of engineers, they're a motley bunch on the golf course.:rolleyes:

I don't golf either, but I've seen their pictures, and even for a group of engineers, they're a motley bunch on the golf course.:rolleyes:

Are they the ones wearing the blue & white pin striped overalls with a matching funny little cap and a red neckerchief?

Archived