its Mammonth

Shogun

We went down to Gourock to see the Crown going down the Clyde last night. What a wonderful sight. It was on the Scottish news, in the Daily Record and also in the Glasgow Evening Times. I showed my workmates the pictures we took and they were all of the same opinion - WOW!!!!!! Can't wait for our cruise on the Crown in September - only 9 weeks to go (not that I'm counting).

DSCF0243.jpg.2061900d5ec1c6d8a6afed3aca4ce90e.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg.e36b4bab167496c590cb5d04589cce7e.jpg

DSCF0230.jpg.6189a23bf895c02d4eaf850c1a9ea3a2.jpg

DSCF0228.jpg.49814801a1d0646907e49a70c622a706.jpg

Very nice.

She was commisioned in 2006 not 1996. ;)

And I don't think she almost capsized on the maiden voyage. And the ship holds around 3100 passengers. That reporter needs to do a better job of checking the facts!! :eek:

Capsize is an exaggeration - she did have that problem with the "list" though and a number of people were injured and there was quite a bit of damage onboard. It was investigated by the NTSB and there's a pretty length report on their website regarding the incident.

And I don't think she almost capsized on the maiden voyage. And the ship holds around 3100 passengers. That reporter needs to do a better job of checking the facts!! :eek:

You're right. The maiden voyage was in mid June of 2006. The ship listed in mid July and we got on her the very next sailing. For all we know with all of the bad info the report included, maybe that's the Emerald or the Ruby, lol!

You're right. The maiden voyage was in mid June of 2006. The ship listed in mid July and we got on her the very next sailing. For all we know with all of the bad info the report included, maybe that's the Emerald or the Ruby, lol!

Maybe that's not even Greenock!

I'm not sure I'd trust that newspaper for anything they write. Almost none of their facts are correct, and are actually way off:

Biggest and best

Commissioned in 1996, the ship was built by Fincantieri in Italy. 2006

She hit the headlines on her maiden voyage when she nearly capsized off Florida. She listed, not "nearly capsized."

The liner is 950ft long and towers 195ft out of the water. Close: 951 feet

The ship weighs 113,000 and has a cruising speed of 22knots. Pretty accurate

She can carry 2080 passengers in 1557 cabins. WAY wrong: 3,100 passengers.

Operated by Princess Cruises, the liner has a crew of 1200. Wrong: 900 crew

She has three dining rooms and a host of bars for entertainment. No mention of the restaurants in addition to the dining rooms.

I'll be there in about three weeks. :)

I'm not sure I'd trust that newspaper for anything they write.

Perhaps you should pick up a copy of the Daily Record when you are in Scotland on your British Isles cruise? You'll see plenty more nonsense reporting in it!

Shogun, like many others, I'm certain, I've enjoyed your posts over the past months (years?) and I wept for lost friends like everyone else. This note is only a comment that this past trip seems to have been a great help to you in overcoming your bereavments and, I think, that's some of what cruising is all about. Well done!

Hi Truckmaker,

Thank you, It was nice to get away be with some old friends and make some new ones, there are still a few tears, but a new white fur ball will be arriving next year so plan to take a year off cruising.

yours Shogun

Archived