I'll be travelling to New Orleans with my 12 yo son.....

wasiii

.....currently, I have a night before (8.26 Wednesday) and a night after (9.5 Saturday) our cruises, booked at the Drury Hotel . One of those nights I was thinking of changing to a hotel in the French Quarter. I've never been to NO before and am just starting to do some research into the city.

Having never been there before, am I foolish for wanting to spend one night in the Quarter with my 12 yo son? :eek: Would either night be better, midweek or weekend?

I thought it would be a cool thing to do.

:confused:

wasiii

.....currently, I have a night before (8.26 Wednesday) and a night after (9.5 Saturday) our cruises, booked at the Drury Hotel . One of those nights I was thinking of changing to a hotel in the French Quarter. I've never been to NO before and am just starting to do some research into the city.

Having never been there before, am I foolish for wanting to spend one night in the Quarter with my 12 yo son? :eek: Would either night be better, midweek or weekend?

I thought it would be a cool thing to do.

Staying in the Quarter isn't that important with a family - the biggest draw for it is if you stay out way late and it's easy to stumble back to the hotel - although being close is also good when you want to go back to the hotel to rest and regroup. The nightlife is pretty much surrounding Bourbon Street and deals with drinking and clubbing - which you wouldn't want to do with a 12-year-old. Prices are usually higher in the Quarter - although you can find deals. Most of the family oriented stuff is daytime to evening activities, in which case where you stay isn't that important.

Staying in the Quarter isn't that important with a family - the biggest draw for it is if you stay out way late and it's easy to stumble back to the hotel - although being close is also good when you want to go back to the hotel to rest and regroup. The nightlife is pretty much surrounding Bourbon Street and deals with drinking and clubbing - which you wouldn't want to do with a 12-year-old. Prices are usually higher in the Quarter - although you can find deals. Most of the family oriented stuff is daytime to evening activities, in which case where you stay isn't that important.

.....I'll keep on thinking of something cool to do. I figured it would be something for my son to say he stayed in a hotel in the French Quarter.

;)

wasiii

What's up Wasii, our cruise isn't too far off! I think map said it best about staying in the French Quarter. The Drury Inn is very nice and a fairly short walk to the river where you can check out the great aquarium we have here. There is also a trolley car that runs along the river that will take you to the French Quarter($1.25 a person). Hope y'all have a great time down here.

.....I'll keep on thinking of something cool to do. I figured it would be something for my son to say he stayed in a hotel in the French Quarter.

The French Quarter is an incredible place for kids - just not sure that staying there would be a priority for me. The Drury (or Staybridge) are great places to stay with kids - they have popcorn and drinks in the lobby and above average breakfasts (more than muffins, rolls and coffee). and great pools (Drury's is on the rooftop, which gives it a plus). You're within easy walking distance to the Quarter the river.

For a 12-year-old I'd highly recommend the Insectarium. He'd LOVE it (I enjoyed it and I hate bugs!!) If he's interested in war history (or even if he's not) the WWII museum is fantastic. Saturday afternoon and evening is a great time to catch the street performers along Royal Street or Jackson Square - magicians, acrobats, mimes, musicians - stroll along the street and stop if you see something of interest. If you get a photo (especially if they pose with your son) a tip is in order. If you stop and enjoy a performance a tip is also good. Do NOT feel pressured into giving a tip or "donation" to someone who MAKES you stop and listen to them. If they're good enough to deserve a tip, you'll stop on your own.

Other things I'd recommend:

Ride the streetcars - there are 3 of them; the Canal, Riverside and St. Charles. Each cost $1.25 each time you board. If you're just doing it to say you did it then I'd recommend the Riverside - short run along the river. If you want to see the Garden District, the streetcar is the way to go. If you want to go to the cemeteries or Art museum than the Canal is the way to go (make sure you have the right one to go to the right place, there).

Ride the ferry - free ride across the river and back - not much to do across the river, but the ride is fun

Mardi Gras experience - either Mardi Gras World or the Presbytere. Mardi Gras World on the river. It is where they make some of the floats, but they also do an introduction to Mardi Gras and you can take pictures in some of the costumes. The Presbytere is on Jackson Square and is a Mardi Gras museum, with a special exhibit on Zulu. Either one would give you a view of Mardi Gras (not even close to the real thing, but a good introduction)

Beignets at Cafe du Monde - a tradition.

The French Quarter is an incredible place for kids - just not sure that staying there would be a priority for me. The Drury (or Staybridge) are great places to stay with kids - they have popcorn and drinks in the lobby and above average breakfasts (more than muffins, rolls and coffee). and great pools (Drury's is on the rooftop, which gives it a plus). You're within easy walking distance to the Quarter the river.

For a 12-year-old I'd highly recommend the Insectarium. He'd LOVE it (I enjoyed it and I hate bugs!!) If he's interested in war history (or even if he's not) the WWII museum is fantastic. Saturday afternoon and evening is a great time to catch the street performers along Royal Street or Jackson Square - magicians, acrobats, mimes, musicians - stroll along the street and stop if you see something of interest. If you get a photo (especially if they pose with your son) a tip is in order. If you stop and enjoy a performance a tip is also good. Do NOT feel pressured into giving a tip or "donation" to someone who MAKES you stop and listen to them. If they're good enough to deserve a tip, you'll stop on your own.

Other things I'd recommend:

Ride the streetcars - there are 3 of them; the Canal, Riverside and St. Charles. Each cost $1.25 each time you board. If you're just doing it to say you did it then I'd recommend the Riverside - short run along the river. If you want to see the Garden District, the streetcar is the way to go. If you want to go to the cemeteries or Art museum than the Canal is the way to go (make sure you have the right one to go to the right place, there).

Ride the ferry - free ride across the river and back - not much to do across the river, but the ride is fun

Mardi Gras experience - either Mardi Gras World or the Presbytere. Mardi Gras World on the river. It is where they make some of the floats, but they also do an introduction to Mardi Gras and you can take pictures in some of the costumes. The Presbytere is on Jackson Square and is a Mardi Gras museum, with a special exhibit on Zulu. Either one would give you a view of Mardi Gras (not even close to the real thing, but a good introduction)

Beignets at Cafe du Monde - a tradition.

.....this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

:D

wasiii

You may consider a day pass for the streetcars which I think is $5. The streetcar is right at the corner of the Drury Inn and takes you to Canal Street (where the French Quarter begins). You can change there to the streetcar down to the riverfront (or just walk) and then take the Riverfront streetcar.

I also recommed a harbor cruise on the real paddlewheel steamboat Natchez

http://www.steamboatnatchez.com/

The lunch aboard is pretty good but you can book the cruise without lunch too. It´s a narrated cruise. And don´t miss to go down to the engine room to see the steam engines (nice boards with explanations, the engineer will also be happy to answer questions).

I wouldn´t change the hotel. The Drury Inn is great. I´ve also stayed in FQ hotels (with our DD). But there´s nothing to it unless you want to stay out late.

steamboats

Archived