Florida Girl with questions

Lunur

Okay...I'm Florida born and raised and have been on 20+ caribbean cruises, so forgive me for sounding stupid!! I am booked on the Zaandam for August 7, and I have some silly questions.

1. Will I need suncreen? I would never even think of stepping on a cruise out of Florida without it!

2. How cold is it likely to be in Alaska? We will be fishing during one excursion and on the sea otter tour for another. I have a lightweight rain type jacket. What else should I bring for this time of year?

Thanks for your help.

http://www.alaskacruises.com/alaska_weather.asp

I will be on a cruise in Alaska starting from August 5th. I am packing clothes for every type of weather. As I live in the UK I guess I would not feel the cold to much, but would suggest you pack something to keep you warm. Layers are the best idea, that way if the day turns out warm you can take a layer off. Enjoy your cruise.

Okay...I'm Florida born and raised and have been on 20+ caribbean cruises, so forgive me for sounding stupid!! I am booked on the Zaandam for August 7, and I have some silly questions.

1. Will I need suncreen? I would never even think of stepping on a cruise out of Florida without it!

2. How cold is it likely to be in Alaska? We will be fishing during one excursion and on the sea otter tour for another. I have a lightweight rain type jacket. What else should I bring for this time of year?

Thanks for your help.

I too grew up in Florida. DW and I carry sunscreen with us no matter where we cruise. When we were in the Arctic (well above Alaska) above Barents Sea and Greenland, we used sunscreen as the sun was out 24 hours and the exposed parts of us would get hefty amount of sun. Greenland was especially hot on our side of the ship as I actually wore my speedo and ate ice cream while we cruised through Prins Christian Sund.

For those northern excursions, we found one does not need a heavy coat; instead, having layers works well as one may take off/put on as needed. When we know it will be real cold, we travel with thermal underwear, normal outerwear and then fleece and rain slicker shell. Never had a problem.

harry

Yes, you can get very sunburned in AK! If you take any excursion that will put you on a glacier, be especially generous in the application of sunscreen, as the reflected glare (on a sunny day) intensifies the effects much as water reflection does on a FL beach.

We also take sunscreen with us on Alaskan cruises. I need it but DH doesn't as I am sensitive to sun.

We always take waterproof shoes, slacks that can be easily washed and air dried in a few hours should they get wet.

Always dress in layers -- have been there all months -- weather unpredicatable.

Check the weather before you cruise. We were in Alaska one June when they had a heat wave and it was over 90 every single day for a back to back cruise. People who had come from Florida to escape the heat were not happy.

Archived