Flying home from Funchal

mpb43

I will be on a cruise in November ending in Funchal, Madeira. I am currently planning airfare and an disheartened to see the number of flights to get home to Washington D.C. The minimum I have come up with is three flights--Funchal-Lisbon-Frankfurt-Washington.

Has anyone flown home from Funchal who can suggest a more direct itinerary? Thanks for any help!

I had missed the possibility of connecting in Paris. It seems I give up one thing (extra flight) for another (long layover). Paris would always be a delight, but I would like to get home in one day.

I love the ita website!

It seems I give up one thing (extra flight) for another (long layover).
Folks have to remember that when traveling in/out of more "exotic" destinations, you have fewer flight options than when heading into somewhere such as London. Yes, to take fewer flights you sometimes have to make tradeoffs, including higher fares as well as longer connections. Be glad that you are just heading to WDC, which is an international gateway. Say you were going to RIC or ORF and you'd be adding still another leg.

In situations like yours, the solution is usually for the traveller to honestly prioritize their wishes and act on that. Seems that travel "in one day" seems to be your preference. And yes, ITA can be a great resource. I'm always on it, especially for the monthly search feature.

As for Funchal, here's the runway you'll be using:

Funchal.jpg.de168eba405c3a155f765deb6937f7aa.jpg

It's actually a great engineering achievement. Rather than try to use landfill (as was done with the newest runway at Seattle), they extended out over the water on an elevated platform. You can read more HERE.

At least the airport isn't sinking into the ocean - as a major Asian airport is doing....(though it is now being controlled)

Here's another view. The road to the right of the extension is where the original cliff was....the pilings are in the original sea area.

In any case, enjoy the experience of transiting an airport that few get to see. Like the time I flew out of Ushuaia....not something any of my friends, even the very FF ones, had ever done.

Funchal2a.jpg.3772d8c26f465d3c9a7349031f29ff57.jpg

FlyerTalker - thanks for the pictures and information about the Funchal airport. Although I've been to Funchal quite a few times, it's always been by ship. Landing at that airport must be quite a experience, although probably not as scary as the old Hong Kong airport.

mpb43 - earlier this year I was considering a Regent cruise that ended in Funchal and discovered the same thing you have with regard to flights out. "You can't get here from there."

There are a couple of possibilities I don't think have been mentioned here, both involving early morning departures from Funchal:

• TAP1602, a code share with USAirways 5051, leaves Funchal at 5:30AM with several 2-stop connections through Lisbon and Newark. Quickest one is TAP/Continental FNC-LIS-EWR-IAD, arriving Dulles at 6:55PM. Total time 18hr 10min.
  • A slightly quicker one, 17hr 10min, is TAP1552/Iberia8727/AA6217, leaving FNC at 7:05AM and arriving IAD 7:15PM, with connections in Porto and Madrid. Personally I would prefer this one, as Washington is US port of entry and you avoid the hassle of clearing customs at EWR and than transferring to a domestic flight. Come to think of it, it might be quicker to take the Metroliner from Newark to Washington.

Good luck!

Bob

• A slightly quicker one, 17hr 10min, is TAP1552/Iberia8727/AA6217, leaving FNC at 7:05AM and arriving IAD 7:15PM, with connections in Porto and Madrid. Personally I would prefer this one, as Washington is US port of entry and you avoid the hassle of clearing customs at EWR and than transferring to a domestic flight. Come to think of it, it might be quicker to take the Metroliner from Newark to Washington.

NHBob,

Thanks for the input. I think I've zeroed in on the itinerary above or the following: Funchal-Porto-Frankfurt-Washington. Similar time frame and I agree--it's not fun to clear customs at EWR!

We flew from Funchal to Lisbon (glad it was dark when we left...) and then to Newark on our way to Houston. I am surprised there is nothing from Lisbon direct to DC! Once we finally got on the Portuguese airline, we loved it. Our coach seats were roomy and there were only two seats where normally there were three. The food was good and wine was drinkable. This was 3 years ago, however. Enjoy your trip!

I am surprised there is nothing from Lisbon direct to DC!

I was surprised as well. TAP Portugal flies Lisbon to New York. Airlines such as Iberia connect through Madrid.

Porto sounds interesting. I'll look for the wine tasting shop at the airport. I might need it after that departure from Funchal. ;)

Archived