anything new about Norovirus on Millie

cookiemantoo

We sailed on Millennium June 19 - 26, 2009. We heard the virus was rampant. Our dining partners said they had heard a rumor that the ship had been "red-flagged by the CDC" because so many were sick. We also heard that 2 cruises before us there were approx 125 people sick. We got sick. DS got an ear infection. DH and I got horrible colds. I will take that over Norovirus anytime. I guess with hindsight I would have loaded us up with vitamin C, Airborne, etc... The staff really tries to help, lots of Purell, announcements about handwashing, they serve you everything.

Sorry if I am the bearer of bad news. The cruise was amazing anyway! Wishing you safe, healthy travel.

Has anyone else read the newest Member Review of the Millennium, just posted today on the main Cruise Critic page for a very recent Alaska trip? The post-er recounts in somewhat gory detail what seems like lots of ineffective precautions against norovirus and badly done sanitizing measures (like filthy looking glass elevators--probably covered with bleach residue)--not to mention having a dirty cabin that wasn't vacuumed in a week, and problems with steward and waiter service--mostly due to exhausted and overworked staff filling in for sick staff members. Apparently neither the captain nor any other staff person ever announced there had been multiple noro outbreaks recently on Millie or even that there was currently an outbreak affecting both staff and passengers. The post-er recounts all the evidence that led her (or was it him?) to realize many of these problems were due to a noro outbreak on the ship. Reading that review and some Board comments about noro on Millie in the last two months made me reconsider taking our late August cruise! The post-er did say that many aspects of the cruise were still excellent (food, for instance, and shore excursions). I wonder if other ships try to hide a noro outbreak from passengers or keep them hush-hush until they get to the threshold of 3% of staff or passengers at which point the CDC requires them to report it. After all the planning and anticipation, I don't want to cancel our trip, and I don't even think our trip insurance would cover cancelling it for fear of illness rather than for being really sick. What do others think?

We sailed on Millennium June 19 - 26, 2009. We heard the virus was rampant. Our dining partners said they had heard a rumor that the ship had been "red-flagged by the CDC" because so many were sick. We also heard that 2 cruises before us there were approx 125 people sick. We got sick. DS got an ear infection. DH and I got horrible colds. I will take that over Norovirus anytime. I guess with hindsight I would have loaded us up with vitamin C, Airborne, etc... The staff really tries to help, lots of Purell, announcements about handwashing, they serve you everything.

Sorry if I am the bearer of bad news. The cruise was amazing anyway! Wishing you safe, healthy travel.

Apparently the outbreak was NOT serious enough to report to the CDC. Below is a link to reported outbreaks and Mille is not included. I might point out that they usually post these pretty quick.

I understand people are concerned about getting sick but please keep things in perspective, 30 to 40 million Americans get Noro every year and about 4 to 5 thousand have it on cruise ships. Often they don't even get it on the ship but from plane rides, hotel stays, etc before their trips. Also keep in mind that people are traveling on cruise ships from all over the world where the weather might be more conducive to an outbreak. Just keep things in perspective.

You can get it just as well at home, why cancel your hard earned vacation...

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

The thing that irriates me is having to wait to be served salt pepper drinks, salads, food, etc.

If the Solstice had an out break it would be different since their food court is not geared for that type of service with the open pods.

I hope they relax the rules and at least let the passengers get their own drinks and salads.

The way it is now is very unappealing to me.

Spence

We just got off Millie on July 3. They do not allow passengers to serve themselves drinks, salt/pepper, etc to minimize the cross contamination among passengers.

As for the residue and vaccumming - that was explainined in the daily bulletins. The CDC recommendations include allowing the surfaces to air dry rather than "polishing" to minimize the amount of airborne contaminants. Same with the vaccumming.

There were folks stationed at all the dining entry points with hand sanitizing dispensers everywhere. They made announcements, etc. I was absolutely SHOCKED to see two ladies leave the restroom without washing their hands. Yep - you read it correctly. They didn't wash their hands. I could not believe it. So - you wonder why they have all these extended measures??

Anytime you get 3k people together - folks are going to get all sorts of illness. After a week of eating my husband joking "volunteered" for a mild stomach bug. LOL!!!! The ship was spectacular and the staff was terrific.

Apparently the outbreak was NOT serious enough to report to the CDC. Below is a link to reported outbreaks and Mille is not included. I might point out that they usually post these pretty quick.

I understand people are concerned about getting sick but please keep things in perspective, 30 to 40 million Americans get Noro every year and about 4 to 5 thousand have it on cruise ships. Often they don't even get it on the ship but from plane rides, hotel stays, etc before their trips. Also keep in mind that people are traveling on cruise ships from all over the world where the weather might be more conducive to an outbreak. Just keep things in perspective.

You can get it just as well at home, why cancel your hard earned vacation...

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

They don't have any ships listed yet for June, 2009, from the site you posted.

I was absolutely SHOCKED to see two ladies leave the restroom without washing their hands. Yep - you read it correctly. They didn't wash their hands. I could not believe it.

Let me guess, they had long "manicured" fingernails... :rolleyes:

They don't have any ships listed yet for June, 2009, from the site you posted.

Open up 2009 there are about 12 ships listed from the beginning of the year...Probably nothing reported in June...They usually post them as they get them not by month. If you notice there was nothing in March..

Let me guess, they had long "manicured" fingernails... :rolleyes:

LOL, I've seen this countless time on trips. It's amazing there isn't more sickness. I just read some accounts online from crewmembers who allude to "these people bring it onboard with them and then they get mad at our lousy attemps to keep it in check". Gee, I wonder why they think that????;)

Open up 2009 there are about 12 ships listed from the beginning of the year...Probably nothing reported in June...They usually post them as they get them not by month. If you notice there was nothing in March..

Are you certain they post them as they get them? Don't you think they have to do some investigating and get everything together in order to make an accurate report?

We also just got off of the Millie on July 3. I do not know what this previous poster was talking about in terms of badly santizing measures, lack of information re noro virus outbreaks, or poor service.

In addition to the measures taken and explained in the daily programs, as stated aboce, they did make an announcement re possible outbreaks on the cruise at dinner, stating that they recommended people not shake hands and regularly wash their hands with warm water and soap. Not to mention that they had sanitizer ALL OVER the place and encouraged everyone to use it and wash their hands. I think good hygiene can go a long way.

Also, the service was excellent. Along with all other portions of the cruise.

Sure, no one wants to have to wait to get a water or lemonade, etc., but I would much rather do so than to take a chance getting sick, which no one I came in to contact with was.

Celebrity was excellent as usual and I would not be concerned re sailing with them again.

...After all the planning and anticipation, I don't want to cancel our trip, and I don't even think our trip insurance would cover cancelling it for fear of illness rather than for being really sick. What do others think?

If you purchased trip insurance with the "cancel for any reason" option, then you could cancel because you're worried, but you'd only be reimbursed the agreed percentage (usually 75%.)

I can understand why some people might want to cancel - maybe they have a weak immune system due to cancer treatments or an organ transplant.

But for most people, I'd recommend going and taking extra precautions. But then, in 16 cruises we've never been on a cruise with a big outbreak. Our last cruise in April through the Panama Canal had stepped up measures because of noro, but they never got to the point where you couldn't serve yourself.

I wish you a healthy, safe, and fabulous cruise!

Are you certain they post them as they get them? Don't you think they have to do some investigating and get everything together in order to make an accurate report?

They have in the past, also there is another web site which follows various incidents including man overboard and noro incidents and they report nothing.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/outbreaks2009.html

The thing that irriates me is having to wait to be served salt pepper drinks, salads, food, etc.

If the Solstice had an out break it would be different since their food court is not geared for that type of service with the open pods.

I hope they relax the rules and at least let the passengers get their own drinks and salads.

The way it is now is very unappealing to me.

Spence

Excuse me, but would you rather have the virus? Precautions and preventions are just common sense.

We were also on July 3 to Alaska. We only ate on ship. We had no problem w/sanitizing attempts, but Wed. night, my husband developed raging headache which escalated in fever of 102.2, along w/painful cough, chills and bodyache. Thurs. am we went to infirmary where Dr was very efficient, ran several tests, gave Bob some advil and Nyquil, and we were confined to our room for rest of trip. We were allowed free movies and bottled water and told we would be compensated. Dr. said he had not seen any norovirus that trip. I agree that I would much prefer to wait 20 seconds for someone to hand me the salt than to share everyone's germs. I think you just have to go with the flow and make sure to have fun.

I think too we need to take care of ourselves and be courteous to all-fellow passengers and crew. Follow directions, and be truthful when answering any questions on being ill if asked. On our last trip during the height of the Swine Flu worries in May, we were on a tour bus with a man and women who were both sicker than dogs, but both insisted they had to fulfill their dreams by boarding a full tour bus, (they wanted to see Europe no matter what) hacking and sweating, breathing hard and loud, while complaining. Everyone knew they were quite sick, and tried to stay clear from contact, but it was very difficult, and the two were constantly expressing loudly that they were ill, though we appreciated that they may never see those places again, there were many who thought it was selfish to expose others to whatever.

I just hope that I never get sick on a trip. It must be horrible for all involved.

I am appreciative of the actions of the crew (and the sacrifices of current passengers) NOW so that those of us cruising later (we're leaving Aug. 21) might not have to encounter all the precautions, let alone the virus.

Keep in mind that a sick crew member probably earns little,or nothing at all if they're not working, or even if others are covering that sick crew member's cabins are probably getting stiffed a bit by passengers who expect top-level service no matter what - or one's that don't bother to listen to explanations that are provided.

I'd love to see a better focus on screening people as they board, but that would probably bother too many people at the beginning of their trip. If only we would accept a process as intrusive as what you might get going on a plane could they perhaps reduce the number of already sick people on board.

We will be on the Millie on Sept 11th, so hopefully by then things will be back to normal. I've never been on a ship with an outbreak, so when that happens, is all food service controlled with nothing self service? It's been a long time since we were on a Celebrity ship, so I'm not totally familiar with all of the casual food areas and how they are usually set up for service.

This sounds like Influenza A which was recently on Infinity. Yikes!

They only have to report when the occurrence is more than 2% of the population on-board. 2% or less and it is not mandated to be reported to the CDC. That could be why there are no official reports.

I am appreciative of the actions of the crew (and the sacrifices of current passengers) NOW so that those of us cruising later (we're leaving Aug. 21) might not have to encounter all the precautions, let alone the virus.

I'd love to see a better focus on screening people as they board, but that would probably bother too many people at the beginning of their trip. If only we would accept a process as intrusive as what you might get going on a plane could they perhaps reduce the number of already sick people on board.

I too am appreciative of the precautions taken by =X= on both the Millie and Infinity (where they have had some minor problems with Influenza A.

However, better screening prior to the cruise is useless if a person is unknowingly exposed on their flight to port or at their pre-cruise hotel stay. This is my biggest fear about my upcoming cruise mid-August. All of my excursions and everything that I am waiting for is at the last half of my trip. This would all be ruined if I happened to get sick mid-cruise because somebody got on my flight with Noro or H1N1.

I was on the Millie 19-26. I had a slight bit of what I believe was food poisioning on June 21st, but no one else in our group of 9 was sick and no one had Noro.

I also just got over having the flu last weekend. I haven't had the flu since I was in college 20 years ago.

Friendly reminder - do stop in for a flu shot before you travel! I guess I forgot mine last winter and when I coudln't get out of bed for 4 days last week, you better believe I was kicking myself for the oversight. I had a low grade fever that spiked at 103 on day 4 of my flu, but I felt like I got hit by a mac truck.

As for the Noro, I thought the staff on Millie did a great job. I did have to wait for drinks for about a minute now always only once in awhile, but they did a remarkable job serving everyone. The only thing that really bugged me was the spoon situation, or lack of spoons. They'd give you cereal or yougurt but then you have to hunt down spoons in some other location. I assume in a Noro free cruise a bowl of spoons would be sitting there for people to take as needed, not hidden behind a counter somewhere where you had to go hunting for them and they beg for one.

We were told at our Cruise Critic meeting that several other ships in Alaska were dealing with Noro as well. Personally, I believe that since none of the port based establishments or tour operators were taking ANY precautions with Noro, no matter what any individual ship does, Noro will be in Alaska all season. My 2 cents worth.

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Especially in port!

Archived