Walk on Glacier -- Question

Ilivetogo

One of the members of our party heading to Alaska with us in August is really hoping to WALK on a glacier. I thought I read somewhere that one of the only ways to get to actually walk on one is to take the helicopter to it.

Can anyone enlighten me as to WHERE you can walk on a glacier and HOW you can get there? Which ports, etc. We will be going on the Star to the Inside Passage to Juneau, Ketchican and Skagway the last week of August.

There is one catch ... she broke her knee and is mending as we speak. She will be out of her cast/brace JUST in time for the cruise, but this will not allow for very much in the way of "hiking". She can walk okay, but not all that far or very strenuously/bumpy/hike-like.

Input is much appreciated!

We did a helicopter Glacier Landing from Juneau. Wow, it was soooooo beautiful! You get to get out of the helicopter and walk around for about 15 minutes which means you don't go far. But you do get to see the wonderful sights up close. I have mobility issues and had no trouble walking around near the helicopter. You just have to be careful.

We also did a helicopter glacier tour out of Juneau with Coastal Helicopters. It was amazing. The helicopter landed on the glacier and we had a chance to get out and walk around. They gave us special boots to put on over our normal shoes, so that we wouldn't slip. The walking was very easy and basically flat. I would highly recommend it.

This may sound stupid - and I apologize, but we've never been to Alaska and have just started researching for a cruise. I ordered a book from Amazon, that will hopefully answer most of my questions, meanwhile have been searching cruise critic.

When you take a helicopter up to the glacier - can you play with snow? We live somewhere that does not snow, and my DD is dreaming of making a snow angel.

We did the Mendenhall glacier trek with 'beyond alaska'. It was more active than the helicopter and encompassed rock climbing and crampons for the glacier. About 6-7 hours of hiking, but at our pace. It was beyond fabulous.

Also, we did the helicopter/dogsledding in Skagway. Helicopter to the glacier and dogsledded for a mile while there. At this glacier there was a bit of snow. Mendenhall was all ice.

To answer the post. A glacier helicopter landing is available out of both Juneau and Skagway, book this where the time fits best. You essentially exit the helicopter and can go as far as you wish, for about 30-45 minutes. This really, isn't a "snow" option, won't be making any "angles". Also wet. No one is going to stop you if you want to lay down in it. :)

The helicopter glacier tour is probably one of the most breathtaking tours I've ever done. I would have been happy just with the helicopter portion. On a beautiful day the sights are spectacular. Well worth the $$$$$.

The only snow you will see will be at the top of mountains. In fact you might not even see that.

Very true, far more green than anything else, now. Going at the begining of the season, into beg. of June will have plenty of snow available out of Skagway, easy access with a car rental.

Is it possible that there are any other ways to get to WALK on a glacier? (We believe that the helicopter ride just might be too $$$ for us - unfortunately.) Is there a jeep-type-trek that can get you to one somehow?

Is it possible that there are any other ways to get to WALK on a glacier? (We believe that the helicopter ride just might be too $$$ for us - unfortunately.) Is there a jeep-type-trek that can get you to one somehow?

The only option is a guided trek with Above and Beyond out of Juneau, which requires hours of hiking, which I assume is going to be out with this post fx person??? So, no, sorry, no other option but to fly in.

There are also hikes out of Seward at Exit Glacier, but they are not a good idea if you lack experience and do not have a guide with you. The Rangers do guided hikes at set times. You can book a professionally guided hike out of Seward that includes transportation for a great deal less money than a glacier landing by helo.

Archived