"Special" deals my foot!!!!

gman0119

Amazing how some things appear good, until you get to the fine print. A local Travel Agent sent us an email with a 5 day Carnival cruise out of New Orleans for $170!!! When I saw that price, I figured there was some kind of catch... The "fees and taxes" were about $150!!! So, just for fun, I went to Carnival's site, picked the same info, and Carnival was $9 cheaper when all was figured.

It ticks me off when these places do deceptive ads. I hope this serves notice to everyone that when you see a deal, watch and compare and see if it really is a deal.

I am grateful that I found this site, and the wisdom that comes from all the experiences that all have had!

Actually, it sounds like the TA didnt include port charges in the price like Carnival does. After a class action suit, all criselines now have to include about $50ish per port fees in the cruise price they quote. TAs sometimes break them out separate since they dont get commission on that part of the fare. noncommissionable

Actually, it sounds like the TA didnt include port charges in the price like Carnival does. After a class action suit, all criselines now have to include about $50ish per port fees in the cruise price they quote. TAs sometimes break them out separate since they dont get commission on that part of the fare. noncommissionable

TA didn't include anything with the $170. The fees and taxes amounted to around $140, while with Carnival, fees and taxes were about $50. I think TA's include "other" things in their fees... House note, son's graduation, etc...

TA didn't include anything with the $170. The fees and taxes amounted to around $140, while with Carnival, fees and taxes were about $50. I think TA's include "other" things in their fees... House note, son's graduation, etc...

If the bottom line price was only $9 difference, bet ya it was the port fees, since on a 5 day for instance that would add about $105 on average, for two ports (as I said $50ish per port, so about $159 for 3 ports).

btw no TA is allowed to advertise a lower price than Carnival's, so thinking because you saw what looked like a super low price, you KNOW there has to be a catch, i.e. not including port charges.

i.e. the TA you add on port charges and taxes and fees, with Carnival's rate you only add in taxes and fees. Any TA who gives a price without port charges to me is being deceptive .... we agree.

I found this site in a travel magazine and thought I'd give it a try...I had a particular cruise in mind when I filled out the request for compare form...late September out of NYC on the Miracle. Within a few hours I had 7 quotes from different TAs. I responded to the TA with the lowest price, asking for more information and when this person responded, surprise, surprise, the quoted price went up a total of $543. Has anyone ever used this site with success? Should we just book through Carnival and forget TAs ? What is the advantage to using a TA ?

I found this site in a travel magazine and thought I'd give it a try...I had a particular cruise in mind when I filled out the request for compare form...late September out of NYC on the Miracle. Within a few hours I had 7 quotes from different TAs. I responded to the TA with the lowest price, asking for more information and when this person responded, surprise, surprise, the quoted price went up a total of $543. Has anyone ever used this site with success? Should we just book through Carnival and forget TAs ? What is the advantage to using a TA ?

The advantage of a TA is they can discount their commission (they cant advertise a lower price, but they can give one through groups they form or cutting their commission).

If they dont give me a price break, Id book direct because there are lots of advantages of booking direct. With a TA and Early Saver, I have to contact my TA to get price drops each and every time. Direct, Im in control, I can fill out the form. I can get into my own booking and the modify button shows up (not if I book thru a TA).

I find its worth it to book direct. I didnt get a price drop last January because the TA thought it wasnt worth their effort to get me an extra $60.

Some love their TA, some love their PVPs. Each if good can be great.

the advantage of a TA is that they (if they are good) do all the work for you and fill out the paperwork to get you on-board credit whenever prices drop. You are never going to save much money (if any) with a TA versus if you booked at carnival.com, though--it's just a matter of what type of person you are. If you prefer to relax and not worry about the vacation planning, a TA is a good move. If you are the type to be researching new info about your cruise frequently (including a quick check of the current cost of your cruise in cast the price has dropped), booking it yourself is fine. I prefer booking all of my vacations myself for this reason, but everyone is different.

In all the years I have looked I have never seen an advertised price that included port fees etc. Even look at Carnival's site the first price you see for all cabins is without the added taxes, port fees, etc. Unfortunately people see cruises starting at $149 and they forget about adding taxes and port fees to that cost. It took me forever to explain to my sister that the advertised price she was seeing was the cabin only.

Here is what the TA from CruiseCompare said -

~~ We quote the FINAL PRICE, including port charges/taxes/fees. NO HIDDEN FEES and NO AGENCY CANCELLATION FEES!

And after I replied - great! you had the lowest prices, please tell me the cabins available - it went up to another category stateroom and $543 total more.

In all the years I have looked I have never seen an advertised price that included port fees etc. Even look at Carnival's site the first price you see for all cabins is without the added taxes, port fees, etc. Unfortunately people see cruises starting at $149 and they forget about adding taxes and port fees to that cost. It took me forever to explain to my sister that the advertised price she was seeing was the cabin only.

Carnivals website INCLUDES port fee's in their rates... it's the TAXES that are not quoted as they can be different when booking "Cruise Only" or w/ AIR......

We did the compare thing too. The company that we ended up going with did not change their price and I ended up booking with him 3 more times after that. I have always gotten a better deal with a TA than what the cruiseline was offering me.

Sorry that you didn't have very good luck with them. :(

I prefer going through our PVP with Carnival. My mom almost got suckered into a "great deal" on a cruise about a month ago... it was through a travel agenct/company that sends out their own magazine... They had no clue what they were talking about and were telling her anything they could to get her to book.... Thankfully I was able to talk her out of it.

I have booked twice with on-line TA's and I am not going to do it again. The $30 I saved was not worth having to go through the TA for everything, plus I think it is easier to get upsell offers if you go directly through Carnival.

I booked our Fantasy cruise with an on-line TA and she lied to me about the cabins and when I called her from the ship, she said "well, that's what Carnival told me". Maybe that was true but I have never had that happen with Carnival, and I don't think I really saved any money either.

I might consider it if I ever booked another NCL cruise. I did not like dealing with NCL, you don't get a PVP with them so you talk to someone different everytime. I doubt if I ever book another NCL cruise, but you never know.

Every single cruise fare on the carnival site includes port fees. You seem to think the small add on "taxes and fees" includes port charges. wrong.

Port charges are over $50 a port, and ARE included in every cruise fare ALL cruiselines show. Lots of people dont seem to understand the noncommissable part of the fare is port charges.

Carnivals website INCLUDES port fee's in their rates... it's the TAXES that are not quoted as they can be different when booking "Cruise Only" or w/ AIR......

thank you, this is from a TA folks, who if anyone would know that port charges ARE included in the cruisefare. .... so many seem confused on this issue.

I've use the company with compete in the title. The bidders did fine. Just get them to disclose all fee, booking, cancellation, change etc.... They really can't give great deals if you are on a short cruise and in an inside cabin, their commission is very tiny. Best deals are on more expensive cruises.

And yes by the time you follow up catagories have disappeared i.e. sold out it happens with the cruise line too.

Here is what the TA from CruiseCompare said -

~~ We quote the FINAL PRICE, including port charges/taxes/fees. NO HIDDEN FEES and NO AGENCY CANCELLATION FEES!

And after I replied - great! you had the lowest prices, please tell me the cabins available - it went up to another category stateroom and $543 total more.

So they didn't add port charges, taxes or fees, they changed the category. Were there no longer cabins available in the quoted category? Or did you not like the cabins available?

I've used the compete place with good results on my last 3 cruises, so it does pay to shop. After I get my price I try to get Carnival to match it, and they can't.:mad:

thats because the compete TAs cut their commission. Carnival reps work on credits, so they cant cut their commission to match an unadvertised price.

So they didn't add port charges, taxes or fees, they changed the category. Were there no longer cabins available in the quoted category? Or did you not like the cabins available?

They said what they quoted was no longer available and that the next lowest available category was more. I just thought it went up pretty high, pretty fast.

They said what they quoted was no longer available and that the next lowest available category was more. I just thought it went up pretty high, pretty fast.

That happens. If there were only a few cabins, someone else could put them on hold or reserve them instantly. Did you check Carnival's site to see if any cabins were left in the original category? Also, sometimes there are only a few cabins in a category eligible for some special price, and when they're gone, the price goes up.

Archived