No more free drinks at Captain's Party?

Froufie

I think "lobster abuse" costs them more money at dinner that night...Maybe they should do something about that too.

In addition to Lobster abuse, there is Pizza, soft serve ice cream and buffet abuse. Some people get involved in the deck games others do not. Some people skip the show, others go twice, not everone uses the tenders, camp carnival, room service, ect, ect, ect...

I'm sure most people have something simple that makes cruising special to them - and its really nice to be able to be able to get a little more of whatever it is without having to worry about someone thinking you're a "pig at a trough."

Bottom line: our maker has blessed all of us who get to cruise with way more than our "fair share" of this world. It takes a very narrow and ego-centric mind to draw a distinction between whatever they do and someone else does.

"Pigs at a trough" ...Geez

In addition to Lobster abuse, there is Pizza, soft serve ice cream and buffet abuse. Some people get involved in the deck games others do not. Some people skip the show, others go twice, not everone uses the tenders, camp carnival, room service, ect, ect, ect...

I'm sure most people have something simple that makes cruising special to them - and its really nice to be able to be able to get a little more of whatever it is without having to worry about someone thinking you're a "pig at a trough."

Bottom line: our maker has blessed all of us who get to cruise with way more than our "fair share" of this world. It takes a very narrow and ego-centric mind to draw a distinction between whatever they do and someone else does.

ITA. I can't even believe some of what I'm reading here.

ITA. I can't even believe some of what I'm reading here.

I know. I think the guy who quoted you did not get what you were saying to begin with. Apparently he took it out of context. Some people are just too quick to jump in with there .02 worth.;)

Well said.

I know. I think the guy who quoted you did not get what you were saying to begin with. Apparently he took it out of context. Some people are just too quick to jump in with there .02 worth.;)

No - I got it and completely agree with him. Maybe you jumped in too quick?:)

4 years ago I was on a pricey Alaskan cruise( RCL) and the only free drink was rum punch, the next RCL cruise was a cheapo and drinks were free. Go figure...Since then I do not attend the captain parties...one thing I do attend is the Platnium/diamond event RCL has and I hear now they are cutting the free drinks out of that. Everyone is cutting back....

Lost the appetizers, then the pins, now the booze? At what point does a party stop being a party? They've dumbed down the bands too.

I wonder if Royal Caribean still does the big deal on the Promenade?

For me cruising is starting to loose its appeal. Like I said in a previous post, it won't be long before cruising comes down to being just a big a-- ship thats just takes you somewhere.

Hi my name is Mary and I am considered a free loader here..LoL.. Yes I admit I am the one doing shots during the "free" cocktail hours! I have no shame at all after having a $1000+ bar tab for the week. There is and old saying "if it's for free it's for me"!! The whole point of Carnival is THE FUN SHIP.. if you want class and if you find this to be an awful site of gluttony, why choose Carnival?? I myself will not go on another cruise line because of the stuffiness and people think they have too much class to see all the drunks and the hairy chest contest. I say bring on the drunks and the lobster abusers.. Maybe since there is a Friends of Dorothy and Bill on board.. they can start a Friends of Richard??:rolleyes:

4 years ago I was on a pricey Alaskan cruise( RCL) and the only free drink was rum punch, the next RCL cruise was a cheapo and drinks were free. Go figure...Since then I do not attend the captain parties...one thing I do attend is the Platnium/diamond event RCL has and I hear now they are cutting the free drinks out of that. Everyone is cutting back....

Not to get too far off topic - but the reason I was asking is because I'm curious if the RCCL parties still have the Parade, the Crew on the Arch, the mini show and the outstanding people watching option that the Royal promanade offers. In that particular venue, they can keep the booze.

But.. if your party is going to be: come have appetizers, drinks, dance, wear a pin and shake hands with the Captain..... but there are no appetizers, people pay for the drinks, the band is a guy with a Kareeoke machine, there's no pin and the Captain can't shake your hand cause of noro-virus - I think your party might not be as good as the one with costumes, light shows, and confetti. I'm not an RCL cheerleader - I'm just saying.

Really think Carnival should think this one through. The current business model seems to be "If NCL can get away with it - so can we!"

Hi my name is Mary and I am considered a free loader here..LoL.. Yes I admit I am the one doing shots during the "free" cocktail hours! I have no shame at all after having a $1000+ bar tab for the week. There is and old saying "if it's for free it's for me"!! The whole point of Carnival is THE FUN SHIP.. if you want class and if you find this to be an awful site of gluttony, why choose Carnival?? I myself will not go on another cruise line because of the stuffiness and people think they have too much class to see all the drunks and the hairy chest contest. I say bring on the drunks and the lobster abusers.. Maybe since there is a Friends of Dorothy and Bill on board.. they can start a Friends of Richard??:rolleyes:

We like you Mary!

Maybe Carnival could hand out lets say 3 or so free coupons for drinks for those who come to the the party. This way people can still get there free drinks and Carnival can maybe save a little money.

Good idea!

There's no such thing as a free drink. Anyone who is paying to be on the ship is paying for those drinks. To all you cheerleaders who call passengers "free loaders", and consider it gluttony when other passengers get more food and drink than you, consider this. Those passengers paid for their tickets, and whatever food and drink they consume on board is part of the price. Believe me when I say, Carnival isn't losing any money over this indulgence. If they were they'd have been out of business long ago. Such elitism by those passengers who wish Carnival would raise the prices to exclude those they deem below themselves is more shameful than those passengers that try to get the most of their hard earned dollars.:mad:

I grab a waiter or waitress give them a few bucks and ask them to keep our drinks coming. Do the same thing for the past guest party.

Drinks are weak but free is good.

After a dozen cruises why else come to the capts party? Nothing much new is happening and kind of boring after all.

I did not care too much about the food but turning off the booze is a terrible idea.

As a matter of fact since I take off my suit coat as soon as we get to dinner I would not even bring it with me on the cruise.

Hopefully Carnival will remember whom their customers are and rethink an awful idea.

Such elitism by those passengers who wish Carnival would raise the prices to exclude those they deem below themselves is more shameful than those passengers that try to get the most of their hard earned dollars.:mad:

I'll (free) drink to that! :D

No, they still have the past guest party, however, there are no more ship pins given

I will say just came back from another 5 day on the Fantasy Thursday, and they had pins in my cabin and with the Past Guest Party invitation and drinks at the Captain's Cocktail party.

Anyone ever think of why they have the party in the first place? It's a free advertising opportunity. And if they give out free drinks you are even more inclined to bite.

They have you to influence your repeat cruising and even plug tips, excursions, shops, anything that they want to sell....

I think that is a very good value for that free drink. I bet when no one shows up with out something being it for them; the drinks will come back.

JMHO

I will say just came back from another 5 day on the Fantasy Thursday, and they had pins in my cabin and with the Past Guest Party invitation and drinks at the Captain's Cocktail party.

They will continue to give away the pins until they run out. They are doing away with the free drinks from some ships to test the waters...

Archived